Are the Days of Rooting Android Phones Coming to an End?

This is a discussion on Are the Days of Rooting Android Phones Coming to an End? within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; Are the Days of Rooting Android Phones Coming to an End? I read a troubling thread over at MyDroidWorld this This morning from community developer ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Are the Days of Rooting Android Phones Coming to an End?

Twitter
    DroidNCState

I read a troubling thread over at MyDroidWorld this This morning from community developer P3Droid. His report spoke of an industry-wide movement to crack down on users who root their devices. Yes, tethering your data is a violation of your contract and any carrier has the right to shut you down and make you pay for that right. But it’s more than just “illegal” use of data if he’s to be believed.

Verizon or any of these others carriers plan to do with the information they are collecting about rooted users, but you can bet that we’ll know before too long. With 1-year upgrades disappearing, new 4G LTE networks and amazing high speeds taking over, and manufacturers like HTC seemingly giving into to carrier lock-down demands, it’s time to get real picky when it comes to your next phone purchase. Your thoughts?

To see More of The Story Go Here:Droid Life
    Follow Me on Twitter DroidNCState

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Sad, yes. True, yes. P3droid is a very highly respected member of our android community, and I, for one, take him plainly at his word.

He, along with anyone with half a brain, has seen the pieces fall into place. Ignorant, irresponsible users are tinkering with things that have serious consequences on a macro scale. None of them want to accept responsibility. Wireless tethering without paying for it IS illegal. Don't put in quotation marks like you're trying to say it's only illegal from their point of view. It is ILLEGAL. Period.

Returning a rooted phone, unrooted to cover your tracks, is fraudulent and unethical to-boot.

It's not hard to see why they are doing this. Give the people freedom and watch them abuse it. There are so many things that make android what is, but the ignorance and fraudulent behavior is NOT part of it.

And it all starts with one person making decisions only based on themselves, and not thinking of others. "Oh, well I'm just one user, it's no big deal." Multiply that times hundreds of thousands of users and you've got a serious problem.

It's sad, but it's been coming for a long time. I've seen it coming since I heard people joking about tethering to play xbox live. Thinking they'd get away with it forever.

If you're looking for someone to thank for ruining it for everyone, start with the people who care about no one else but themselves.

Sent from my Droid using Android.net

Verry interesting...
    I've said it once before, and I'll say it again: I'll sign another contract when I buy my Android-powered phone, stating that I am going to root it, and any F-ups that happen to it in the process or the result of rooting, I'm 100% responsible. That's for all those idiots who return a bricked phone because they thought rooting was cool but had no idea about the tech side. It's a learning process, and the rest of us shouldn't have to pay for it.

And I have mixed feelings about the tethering part, so I'm not going to say if they're right or wrong for doing/going to do this. I have an OG Droid, rooted, and a Wifi Xoom that I BT tether to while I'm at work (no open wifi here). This is the first month I've EVER gone over 2GBs in a month on my phone, even tho I have an unlimited plan. So I'd say give us the ability to tether without having to root, but place the tiered data in effect, that way people would be conservative about their usage, as well as monitoring who uses their open wifi network (if you're not doing a BT tether), that way they know who's doing it, but they have the ability to restrain just how much is used.

I always thought I'll never get a phone that can't be rooted, but now I'm gonna be having second thoughts if the Dev phones are going to be sub-par to the locked ones.
    Last edited by Bazar6; 04-05-2011 at 08:35 AM.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Are carriers looking for the easy way out? Yes. Are the OEMs for all these devices looking to curb their brick return rate? Yes. From my contacts at Samsung, HTC, Google... and some others, what they're trying to do is make it to where if you've bricked the phone and try to return it, they can clearly tell why it's bricked and just whose fault it really is. Return rates on Android phones is quite a bit higher than other handsets, and the OEMs are feeling that pressure from their carriers. The carriers are the ones eating the costs... not the hardware manufacturers.

Now, about the tethering... is it illegal if it's specifically not a part of your package? Yes. Is it illegal to walk your alligator without a leash on Sundays in Florida? Yes. My point is that I'm paying for a tier of data, and overages will be billed. I should be able to use that allotment of data however I wish, and until the day comes to where its not like that, I will continue to bypass the stock tethering app, even though I also work for the bloodsuckers. Also, every carrier can tell who tethers and when they're doing it. TTL. It's clear as day to see who's tethering at a network interface level, but that requires billing systems that just aren't feasible ATM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    alostpacket likes this.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    Return rates on Android phones is quite a bit higher than other handsets, and the OEMs are feeling that pressure from their carriers. The carriers are the ones eating the costs... not the hardware manufacturers.
    So, um, unlock the bootloader? Return rates on D1s HAVE to be lower than D2/variants/Pros/DXs...

Or, SHOCK, start releasing the tools officially and providing support on using them? That'd be FAR cheaper than the method they're doing now -- someone prove me wrong -- and would SERIOUSLY enhance customer satisfaction.
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Motorola/Samsung/HTC being developer friendly??? That'll happen... lol... Only if it's a Google device, like the Nexus' and the Xoom, where Google told them with a rigid index finger, don't lock the bootloader, if you do, provide a way to unlock it.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    So, um, unlock the bootloader? Return rates on D1s HAVE to be lower than D2/variants/Pros/DXs...

Or, SHOCK, start releasing the tools officially and providing support on using them? That'd be FAR cheaper than the method they're doing now -- someone prove me wrong -- and would SERIOUSLY enhance customer satisfaction.
    See, the OEM's would be OK with that. But the carriers want it locked down tighter than Fort Knox. It's the conflict between the two, and the lack of a better way of doing things. Future handsets are supposed to be taking the Xoom approach, especially on the higher-end handsets. Sony Ericsson is already taking that approach with their new line (Arc, Play, Pro, Neo).

Twitter
    alostpacket
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    Is it illegal to walk your alligator without a leash on Sundays in Florida?
    So it was you that ruined it for the rest of us alligator walkers!

Seriously though, Dorian hit the nail on the head. This is about maximixing profit for carriers more than anything.

Locking bootloaders is an attempt to provide a trusted computing environment, which would obviously help against things like piracy. However, the problem here is that the "trust" is given to the carriers who will abuse it for profits 6 ways to Sunday because there is almost zero compeitition in the market. Even Apple couldn't overcome the tethering thing and they mostly shifted the "trust" to themselves with regards to the OS. Apple's walled garden approach may be bad (all the flowers are coated in glossy finish and you're not allowed to touch them and can only look at one at a time), but just imagine Verizon's or AT&T's walled garden (pay per flower, flower turns out to be plastic when delivered).

If you want less locked bootloaders, don't sign the bootloader petition, sing the anti tmo+att merger petition

I thought this was all settled in the Apple Jailbreak ruling..no? Secondly, TMO gave me a phone and an OS that enable wifi tether, regardless of stock or root, so I fail to see how I would be breaking ANY rule at all by running stock versus root. /confuzzled
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beerholder

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    I thought this was all settled in the Apple Jailbreak ruling..no? Secondly, TMO gave me a phone and an OS that enable wifi tether, regardless of stock or root, so I fail to see how I would be breaking ANY rule at all by running stock versus root. /confuzzled
    It was. The ruling was that it's not illegal to jailbreak your device (or root). Nothing was said about them having to provide ways to do such... which is where the problem lies. It's not illegal, but if it's going to be encrypted bootloaders from here on out, then that presents a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links