Sprint CEO Dan Hesse Attacks AT&T/T-Mobile Merger at Senate Hearing

This is a discussion on Sprint CEO Dan Hesse Attacks AT&T/T-Mobile Merger at Senate Hearing within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; Yesterday there was a Senate hearing to help determine the fate of the AT&T/T-Mobile merger, and Sprint's CEO, Dan Hesse, was there to viciously assault ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SLAG IT!

Thread: Sprint CEO Dan Hesse Attacks AT&T/T-Mobile Merger at Senate Hearing

Sprint CEO Dan Hesse Attacks AT&T/T-Mobile Merger at Senate Hearing

Yesterday there was a Senate hearing to help determine the fate of the AT&T/T-Mobile merger, and Sprint's CEO, Dan Hesse, was there to viciously assault the merger and stop it from happening. He rather cleverly titled his speech to the assembly, "The AT&T/T-Mobile Merger: Is Humpty Dumpty Being Put Back Together Again?". In his presentation, he made four compelling arguments against the proposed merger:
    • AT&T and Verizon (referred to as the Twin Bells by Hesse) would be able to dictate freely the voice and data prices - and, nope, Sprint's CEO didn't suggest they will be decreased.
    • He noted that the Twin Bells would be able "to raise competitors’ costs, reduce their network quality and quash competitive alternatives", because they will control most of USA's wireline infrastructure and the critical "last mile".
    • Dan Hesse also said that a duopolistic wireless market would limit consumer choice, as most smartphone and tablet manufacturers would opt to release their products on Verizon and on the carrier that's formed by the AT&T-T-Mobile merger, because of their dominating market share.
    • He warned that innovation would also be harmed, as developers would focus on creating content for the Twin Bells.
    Here's a further quote from the beginning of his speech, "The wireless industry thrives on competition, which, in turn, drives investment, innovation, consumer choice, job creation and U.S. global leadership in wireless communications. If AT&T is permitted to devour one of the two remaining independent national wireless carriers, while the rest of the world achieves advances in technology and innovation for the 21st century, the U.S. will go backwards – toward last century’s Ma Bell."

He also made the point that AT&T's claiming that it needs T-Mobile's Spectrum to help them reach outward to rural areas was bogus, as it would only amount to just a percent more than it already does. His final statement appealed to the DOJ and the FCC to reject the merger outright. Let's cross our fingers that his eloquent arguments were persuasive enough.

Source: SprintDroids.com via PhoneArena

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Go Dan!
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Android Jr Member discombobulated's Avatar
    If his speech succeeds in preventing the merger... he will be my Hero for 2011!!!
    I want the T-Mobile Chick in the commercials to keep her job!!

Twitter
    @SteadyHawkin
    I agree with most of what he said, even though im a avid vzw supporter. Not to mention T mobiles offices are here in Seattle, I would hate to see us loose those jobs.

I say Google and Facebook should buy it. Oh wait I'm a T-Mobile customer and I don't and won't have Facebook account. Never mind my comment.
    jntdroid likes this.

I've wanted to drop my FB account so many times... but there's always a handful of people that keep me on board.
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Android Jr Member discombobulated's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steady Hawkin View Post
    I agree with most of what he said, even though im a avid vzw supporter. Not to mention T mobiles offices are here in Seattle, I would hate to see us loose those jobs.
    I spoke to a few T-Mobile Upper Management and Account Reps whom have been my long time friends... they told me they were afraid of losing their jobs... plus AT&T outsources their customer service call centers to India and Philipines... T-Mobile always had great customer service because their call centers are in the USA... Sprint is also slowly changing to their call centers back to the USA...

Quote Originally Posted by SLAG IT! View Post
    I say Google and Facebook should buy it. Oh wait I'm a T-Mobile customer and I don't and won't have Facebook account. Never mind my comment.
    By the way I was joking. Either way no matter the outcome I will take whatever happens. I hope the employees get to keep working.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links