Nvidia CEO: Why Android tablets aren't selling

This is a discussion on Nvidia CEO: Why Android tablets aren't selling within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; NVIDIA is one of the main driving hardware forces in the Android tablet world and slow sales of tablets with Google’s operating systems seem to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia CEO: Why Android tablets aren't selling

Twitter
    wwickedd

Nvidia CEO: Why Android tablets aren't selling

NVIDIA is one of the main driving hardware forces in the Android tablet world and slow sales of tablets with Google’s operating systems seem to have touched NVIDIA’s CEO Jen-Hsun Huang on the raw. Huang uttered not one, but a couple of arguments detailing the reasons behind the slow start of Android tablet sales in an interview for CNET:
    "It's a point of sales problem. It's an expertise at retail problem. It's a marketing problem to consumers. It is a price point problem"

While the first three arguments seem to touch on all Honeycomb tablets, most of which run on the dual-core NVIDIA Tegra 2 chip, the price point issue instantly spurs thoughts about the Motorola XOOM. "The baseline configuration included 3G when it shouldn't have," Huang underlined. "Tablets should have a Wi-Fi configuration and be more affordable. And those are the ones that were selling more rapidly than the 3G and fully configured ones," he further explained his point. The Motorola XOOM hit retail shelves with a hard-to-swallow $799 price tag for a 3G version and lacking a Wi-Fi only model initially. In comparison, the iPad 2 carries a much more affordable $499 price tag for the base model with no 3G.

Continue reading @ Phone Arena

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    _B0BB0_
    Sad but true. I think marketing has been the biggest issue. Or lack of it.

Twitter
    droidforums
    I'm just glad to see some of of the new honeycomb tablets launch at $399. Once we get more app support, look out!

My reasoning as well with buying one. Why spend $800 when a laptop can provide more for less.

Twitter
    _B0BB0_
    Not everyone needs another laptop. I needed something more lightweight with better battery life. I paid $800 for my xoom cuz I like moto products and it will be 4g compatible soon.

I know xer thats why I said it. Too many have that mentality and if they could come up with a better ad campaign it would get rid of differ that mentality.

Twitter
    _B0BB0_
    Ya the people that say they're too expensive are the ones that really don't need a tab. They want it to fully replace a laptop which it can depending on your needs. Oh well, let the haters hate. Lol

Lol yeah let them. I already have my laptop, my reason for tablet is penetration testing of networks. I am in school for this now and would rather use a small and lightweight tablet to accomplish this. When I go on road trips just hand the two kids a tablet to occupy them.

Twitter
    _B0BB0_
    Ya angry birds works wonders for my 5 yr old. Lol

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    #1 reason why the iPad has seen success... it's marketed, and concrete starting price of $499.

If there were some company that would heavily market a Honeycomb tablet, perhaps Asus or Acer, as a WiFi only version for $499... there would be more demand for them. I promise.

Jen-Hsun Huang knows what he's talking about... which is a rare quality in a CEO. RIM's CEO doesn't even know what market to sell his products to, or even who to design them for. :rolleyes:

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links