Power Consumption Issue for Nearly All Android Dual-Core Phones

This is a discussion on Power Consumption Issue for Nearly All Android Dual-Core Phones within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; Dual-core Android phones were supposed to herald the improvement of battery life and an end to being tethered to your charger. Unfortunately, that has not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Consumption Issue for Nearly All Android Dual-Core Phones

Power Consumption Issue for Nearly All Android Dual-Core Phones

Dual-core Android phones were supposed to herald the improvement of battery life and an end to being tethered to your charger. Unfortunately, that has not been the case at all, and there are reports throughout the industry of nearly all dual-core phones being plagued with even worse battery life than most single-core phones. From the Motorola Atrix 4G, to the T-Mobile G2x, to the HTC Thunderbolt, each has battery issues... and yes there are even reports that the new Samsung Galaxy SII has the same low-battery life (and overheating problems) that the TBolt has.

The theory is true that a dual-core chip has the potential to improve energy consumption, but for now the execution seems to be the issue. From what Russian Tech Blogger, Eldar Murtazin, is theorizing, the problem isn't the hardware. It is software optimization for the dual-core chips. Some reports seem to indicate that there is a potential "light at the end of the tunnel". Supposedly, Gingerbread version 2.3.4, currently only really primarily being used on the Nexus S, has the proper coding to help address the issue.

Perhaps the blogger's Tweet is correct, but perhaps it's also the fact that the current crop of dual-core chips are simply too new. Very often, first-generation products require improvements and optimizations. More than likely, the reality is that it is both. The chipset technology will improve over time and the software will be further enhanced to handle the hardware more efficiently. What are your thoughts on this? Sound off in the forums with your dual-core battery horror or happy stories.

Source: PhoneArena

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I tend to agree that it's probably both hardware & software. It's the same theory as not buying a never-before-seen model of car because it hasn't properly gone through shakedown. If dual-core battery life is truly more of a software issue than a hardware one, I hope the consortium of carriers & manufacturers announced at Google I/O really push the updating of handsets to Android 2.3.4.

Having been an android user since the HTC Dream and a programmer I say it mostly pertains to bloatware and non programmers creating in the open source environment. Think about this for a second; why would a game need full internet access, storing to SD card, and GPS location? They don't but, a nine year old can create bubble smash and we expect him to understand the code involved in his game? I think muji is right with the statement that it's like the new car that's not been fully tested. And Google is not caring because their moving forward. Try getting a response for a technical problem from them. They don't answer. I say let's fix what we have before introducing a new version.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    SGS2 ships with 2.3.3. Also, I've experienced better battery life than my Captivate or Infuse... Maybe I'm just lucky?

The SGS2 gets warm when you push it, but look at how thin it is. The CPU doesn't have much space between it and the battery cover.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

That is also a valid point. Name one phone with a heatsink and cooling fan? Lol not in that thin of a device.

Twitter
    _B0BB0_
    Well the tbolt is actually a single core phone and its battery issues are a combination of 4g and small battery. But I think its the fact thays these devices get more hardware but are also getting thinner. Heat dissapation is the issue.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid-Xer View Post
    Well the tbolt is actually a single core phone and its battery issues are a combination of 4g and small battery. But I think its the fact thays these devices get more hardware but are also getting thinner. Heat dissapation is the issue.
    The move to 22NM fab processes this fall will solve pretty much all the heat issues... But then they'll raise clockspeed, so...

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

I have being having battery issue with my one week old Galaxy S2, it's on Gingerbread 2.3.3 version and lasts roughly 4-5 hours with the kind of usage i used to have on my Nokia N8 previously (includes some gaming, casual browsing via wi-fi or 3G, downloading stuff sometimes through market, watching YouTube videos etc)

here's a snapshot of my battery usage, i have drained my battery once entirely and recharged it while phone was in switched off state, going on to second recharge post completely drained battery with Advanced Task Killer and Juice Defender installed and working hoping to see some improvement in battery life, Should i take then phone to service center for inspection or wait for Android Gingerbread 2.3.4 release.

Facing phone warming issue near camera like some other reviews i have read, while gaming or using GPS etc checked battery temperature which hover around 31 deg c - 36 deg c.

That screen shot is not bad. Over a day on a single charge with the GS2

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk
    New to Android or just need a refresher course, Abe has you covered
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for Android.net
    Respect is number 1 in the Forums.

We are the droid owners
    Resistance is Futile, YOU Will be Assimilated...

That is pretty good battery life. Also Please Do Not Use Advanced Task Killer! If you like your phone do not use it! There is no need for a task killer to maintain your device. It requires just as much battery power to run the task killer as it does to leave your android device maintain it on your own. The screenshot you took is where you want to monitor what is using battery; look in that area after you install an app to see if it is draining the battery. If it is then I would contact developer and ask them what the heck the problem is and until it is fixed you will not support them or download their apps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links