Motorola's CEO Blames Apps for Reduced Battery Life; Claims Blur is a Solution

This is a discussion on Motorola's CEO Blames Apps for Reduced Battery Life; Claims Blur is a Solution within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; During a technology conference today, the CEO of Motorola, Sanjay Jha, indicated that that badly designed 3rd party apps were the primary reason for poor ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dorian

Thread: Motorola's CEO Blames Apps for Reduced Battery Life; Claims Blur is a Solution

Motorola's CEO Blames Apps for Reduced Battery Life; Claims Blur is a Solution

During a technology conference today, the CEO of Motorola, Sanjay Jha, indicated that that badly designed 3rd party apps were the primary reason for poor battery life on smartphones, saying that they drain 30-40% of a phone's battery. He also blamed 3rd party apps for most of the returns of smartphones.

Mr. Jha also claimed that Motorola's UI Skin, Blur, is the best fix for this. He said, "MotoBlur allows us to know, with precision, what battery life you're seeing."

Here's a quote from the ThisIsMyNext.com article sharing Motorola's future plans.
    Interestingly, though, Motorola actually plans to try to fix the problem through Blur: itís been quietly using its platform customizations to collect stats on app usage and how different processes affect processor utilization and battery life. The eventual idea is to turn that crowdsourced knowledge into a database, warning users when they try to install or run a known offender ó an app that has a reputation for turning phones into hot, slow, short-lived pieces of garbage.
    It's interesting to see someone in the industry try to figure out a software solution to phone battery life problems. It's ironic though that Motorola claims that Blur could be a solution. Most people I know tend to perceive MotoBlur as just more "bloatware" that causes more of a problem than it solves. What do you guys think?

Source: ThisIsMyNext.com
    Last edited by alphawave7; 06-03-2011 at 08:11 PM.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

First of all I would like to say Motor blur is a nuisance. Why would I want it to sync everything I have to my phone? I don't have twitter or Facebook so that part is not desired for me. Second, if I lose my phone or someone steals it they have access not to my contacts, like any other phone, but also my email, Facebook (if I had one), and anything it links. Next, I want to point out the fact that it's stated that the platform, " quietly using its platform customizations to collect stats on app usage and how different processes affect processor utilization and battery life", and no one had any knowledge of this or a problem with it? Think that's intrusive and invasive. Apple had some software collecting data and location etc, everyone wanted to tar and feather them. Google, was doing the same and South Korea's police raided Google's office in Seoul for collecting data but, Motorola can do this and no one has a problem? Seems a little lopsided to me. Guess we're suppose to be happy that Motorola wants to make it work better for us and not the fact that they had no right to "quietly", gather information. Well that's my thought and thanks Mr. Jha for admitting this, you just ensured I won't buy your products.

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Um. That's like saying burning tires is a solution to the smog problem.
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Somebody needs to file a lawsuit. I never knew Blur was sending details on what apps I use and for how long I use them. I REALLY don't like that.

IDK what the hell is up with Motorola these days, but IMO, it all seems to be coming from Sanjay Jha himself. Blur is much more of a battery leech than ANY 3rd party app I've seen, and the whole privacy issue is crazy. Some heads need to roll at Motorola. Namely Mr. Jha's. He's running their reputation into the mud. With the introduction of the OG Droid, they had direction, and massive consumer support. Now they have lost their direction, and they (as a company) are becoming someone that NO ONE wants to do business with. Their hardware is bug laden, late, locked down, and under-performing. Share holders should be disgusted.

Motorola needs to wake up. There's a reason the Galaxy S2 is the fastest selling handset in the world.
    furbearingmammal likes this.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Yeah they definitely need to do something.

I get relief by never owning a Moto.
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beerholder

I don't own one either. Last time I bought a moto was when the i730 came out and before that I bought an i90. I just know people that have them.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links