Update On Motorola Locked Bootloaders

This is a discussion on Update On Motorola Locked Bootloaders within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; Yes, you just heard right folks. According to a Twitterer by the name of @IBProud, Motorola may in fact be doing the implausible. Mr. Proud, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Update On Motorola Locked Bootloaders

Twitter
    wwickedd

Update On Motorola Locked Bootloaders

Yes, you just heard right folks. According to a Twitterer by the name of @IBProud, Motorola may in fact be doing the implausible. Mr. Proud, who started a petition 5 months ago called “Unlock teh Bootloader,” was able to receive around 10,000 signatures and prompted a response from Motorola basically saying, “We’ll look into it.”

Well, not much has been heard from Motorola since then and I’m sure you’ve heard all of the negative feedback from users on the subject. Not to mention Moto just continued pumping out device after device with encrypted bootloaders which lead many to believe the petition had simply been ignored. Bootloaders has been a hot topic these days with Sony Ericsson being one of the first OEM’s to offer their phone’s unencrypted with HTC quickly following suit after a similar public outcry type situation on their Facebook page causing their CEO to finally cave in and announce that they too, will no longer be encrypting their bootloaders.

Motorola is firmly committed to delivering an unlockable/relockable bootloader solution. This will be applicable to all devices that are scheduled to receive updates in the second half of this year, indicating the possibility that existing, locked devices may receive updates to unlock them in Q3 or Q4 2011.

After a phone call with Christy Wyatt, Vice President of Mobile Software for Motorola Mobility, Irwin Proud received some shocking news about Motorola and their plans for the future of their bootloaders. According to Christy, Motorola has taken this bootloader policy very seriously and have in fact been listening to the developer community. Moto has been hard at work on preparing an update for their devices that will allow for an unlockable/relockable bootloader. They hope to push out the update sometime in Q3 or Q4 of this year.

So what’s been holding them back? Has Motorola locked up their bootloaders so tight that even they have had a hard time trying to crack them? Well not exactly. Once again, it’s those darn carriers. According to Motorola, carriers have to fully put these updates through their paces to ensure not only compatibility, but to make sure everything is up to their security standards as well. Bet you didn’t know so much was going on behind the scenes, right? All of this simply to allow a user to flash a custom ROM or develop on a device. Motorola also pointed out that the unlocking/relocking update on the Xoom was well received by carriers and they’re optimistic that each of their future devices that receive an update in the future, will be getting their bootloader unlocked in the process. Wow.

So that’s pretty much the gist of it. Straight from the guy who single-handedly got this bootloader ball rolling and straight from the horse’s mouth. I’ve always been one to skim through the comments on our site and to say to say the popular opinion on Motorola has been negative, would be an understatement. So with this breaking news, does this change your opinion on the company and can you perhaps see a Motorola device in your future? Can’t wait to read your feedback.

SOURCE: Droid Forums via
    An update on Motorola’s locked boot-loader situation | Ausdroid
    tp76 likes this.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    androiddotnet
    I own the two truly unlocked devices Motor has put out and never put a second thought to going anywhere else - this is just icing on the cake

Twitter
    fish1552
    I too own the 2 devices from Moto that are unlocked/unlockable and in fact, I bought my Xoom after Moto said they changed their stance on locked bootloaders. I had planned on getting the Toshiba tablet, but even thanked Moto in an email and let them know I was supporting them for their decision by using my wallet. So yes, my opinion of Moto is positive again. Which is good because after falling in love with my Droid and now my Xoom, I was sort of looking forward to a new Moto unlocked phone late this year/early next. As long as they don't go back on their word, I *WILL* be buying another Moto.

Twitter
    _B0BB0_
    Good to hear. Better to see it done.

I sold my X and went back to HTC because of Moto's locked bootloader. If they really do unlock it, I could see a Bionic in my near future.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I hope they stick to it for all my Motorola loving bros.

Super Moderator/Rescue Squad jstafford1's Avatar
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Was always getting a D3....and now still getting a D3. Moto makes good devices. Good build quality, good support, blur aside(which is getting better from what I see) Moto is back to making high quality devices. Nothing else feels as solid.

sent from somewhere...

Twitter
    _B0BB0_
    Yup. My wife's TBolt is all plastic it seems. My X wieghs more and feels more solid.

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    And doesn't have to be charged every 4 hours?
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    And doesn't have to be charged every 4 hours?
    No objections there BUT run a speed test on the two and see who victors. It's also nice to be able to flash kernals and radios. And Sense is much nicer than Blur. And it no longer looks like I have a brick in my pocket. And I like the kickstand.

If/when the bootloader is unlocked, I'll be back. Motos are sturdy machines and nearly unbrickable.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links