[Rumor] Amazon Tablets Could Potentially Sell as 'Loss-Leaders'

This is a discussion on [Rumor] Amazon Tablets Could Potentially Sell as 'Loss-Leaders' within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; There are some rumblings from within Amazon that their upcoming Android Tablets could be sold as "Loss-Leaders". For those unfamiliar, what that term means is ...

Thread: [Rumor] Amazon Tablets Could Potentially Sell as 'Loss-Leaders'

[Rumor] Amazon Tablets Could Potentially Sell as 'Loss-Leaders'

There are some rumblings from within Amazon that their upcoming Android Tablets could be sold as "Loss-Leaders". For those unfamiliar, what that term means is that Amazon will actually sell the tablet at a loss initially, with the intention of making profit from accessories, downloads, ebooks, multimedia and cloud storage instead of the device. In fact, the speculation suggests that they may sell the tablets for as much as 20-25% less than what it costs them to make the devices. Between the Kindle ebooks, UnBox movie downloads, software bought through the Amazon Appstore for Android, and cloud store revenue and advertising, Amazon could not only make up for the loss but turn a tidy profit in just a two year period of ownership.

This could be a potentially risky maneuver; on the other hand, it could be a brilliant way to storm into the market, quickly become the top Android Tablet, and compete toe-to-toe with the iPad. We won't have to wait too long to find out, as the first Amazon Android tablets are due to come in the fall or winter of this year.

Source: Amazon-Tablets.com via SlashGear

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    I'm all for getting good stuff cheap. Amazon has deep pockets and selling as a loss-leader is a good move for them.

However, I worry this means they'll lock the tabs down so as to lock people into buying ebooks just from them, etc. Also, I can see them trying to block Market installs...
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Speculation a little bit ago was that it wouldn't even come with an Android Market, just an Amazon Appstore, which I agree would suck because they would probably lock-down the side-loading too, which would pretty much make Android closed :/

But if it's a quality product for cheap, that'd be pretty good, great way for people to get in to the tablet world and possibly move up to the higher quality tabs. I'd be interested to hear prices and specs of em.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links