Google to Acquire Motorola Mobility!

This is a discussion on Google to Acquire Motorola Mobility! within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; Google to Acquire Motorola Mobility Enabling Android to “Break Ground"! As Kirk Angle say's It is Real It's Dawn Real, you are reading it right. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Preach2k

Thread: Google to Acquire Motorola Mobility!

Twitter
    DroidNCState

Google to Acquire Motorola Mobility!

Google to Acquire Motorola Mobility Enabling Android to “Break Ground"!

As Kirk Angle say's It is Real It's Dawn Real, you are reading it right. According to Official Google Blog, CEO Larry Page describes the company's success with Android, with 550,000 device activations per day and over 150 million activations worldwide. In their quest to "supercharge the Android ecosystem," they have decided that Motorola are the best handset manufacturer to help them do that.

Google or Motorola won’t give many details about, but you can tell that they are very pleased with this partnership. Rubin spoke with the top 5 manufacturers yesterday and made it very clear to all of them that nothing has changed. Motorola will operate as its own company and Android will remain open to use as it has been. The idea here is that it gives Google a chance to “supercharge” the OS.

Google to Acquire Motorola Mobility

Combination will Supercharge Android, Enhance Competition, and Offer Wonderful User Experiences

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. & LIBERTYVILLE, Ill. – Aug. 15, 2011 – Google Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOG) and Motorola Mobility Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: MMI) today announced that they have entered into a definitive agreement under which Google will acquire Motorola Mobility for $40.00 per share in cash, or a total of about $12.5 billion, a premium of 63% to the closing price of Motorola Mobility shares on Friday, August 12, 2011. The transaction was unanimously approved by the boards of directors of both companies.
    The acquisition of Motorola Mobility, a dedicated Android partner, will enable Google to supercharge the Android ecosystem and will enhance competition in mobile computing. Motorola Mobility will remain a licensee of Android and Android will remain open. Google will run Motorola Mobility as a separate business.
    Larry Page, CEO of Google, said, “Motorola Mobility’s total commitment to Android has created a natural fit for our two companies. Together, we will create amazing user experiences that supercharge the entire Android ecosystem for the benefit of consumers, partners and developers. I look forward to welcoming Motorolans to our family of Googlers.”
    Sanjay Jha, CEO of Motorola Mobility, said, “This transaction offers significant value for Motorola Mobility’s stockholders and provides compelling new opportunities for our employees, customers, and partners around the world. We have shared a productive partnership with Google to advance the Android platform, and now through this combination we will be able to do even more to innovate and deliver outstanding mobility solutions across our mobile devices and home businesses.”
    Andy Rubin, Senior Vice President of Mobile at Google, said, “We expect that this combination will enable us to break new ground for the Android ecosystem. However, our vision for Android is unchanged and Google remains firmly committed to Android as an open platform and a vibrant open source community. We will continue to work with all of our valued Android partners to develop and distribute innovative Android-powered devices.”
    The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions, including the receipt of regulatory approvals in the US, the European Union and other jurisdictions, and the approval of Motorola Mobility’s stockholders. The transaction is expected to close by the end of 2011 or early 2012
    Webcast Information
    Google and Motorola Mobility will hold a conference call with financial analysts to discuss this announcement today at 8:30am ET. The toll-free dial-in number for the call is 877-616-4476 (conference ID: 92149124). The call will also be webcast live athttp://investor.shareholder.com/media/eventdetail.cfm?eventid=101369&CompanyID=ABEA-3VZHGF&e=1&mediaKey=A21887C59EBAAC12F1BCF4D43C0809 53. The webcast version of the conference call will be available through the same link following the conference call.
    About Motorola Mobility
    Motorola Mobility, Inc. (NYSE:MMI) fuses innovative technology with human insights to create experiences that simplify, connect and enrich people’s lives. Our portfolio includes converged mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets; wireless accessories; end-to-end video and data delivery; and management solutions, including set-tops and data-access devices. For more information, visit motorola.com/mobility.
    Source
    supercaliber64 likes this.
    Follow Me on Twitter DroidNCState

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    DroidNCState
    This is a nice Article I found of How the Merger With Google And Motorola Could Mean for The Bionic...

Yesterday, Google and Motorola announced that Google would be purchasing the latter for 12.5 billion dollars. Motorola will function as a separate entity from Google but that doesn’t mean there won’t be changes. In fact, Google states that it wants to “supercharge” Android. In other words, it wants to keep making Android better and it hopes buying out Motorola will keep them on that path.

But what does this mean for Motorola devices and more specifically, its upcoming flagship device, the Motorola Droid Bionic? In my opinion, the deal could mean two things might happen.

Both good.

First though, I want to be clear, I don’t see the Droid Bionic as a whole being changed by this acquisition. It’s too far into development, it’s currently out in the wilds in its final form, batterylife is said to be great, and Motorola still expects it to launch in September.
    I don’t think anything will be different a launch. However, I think the future of the Droid Bionic may have been altered by this purchase, a future that suddenly seems a whole lot brighter than it did yesterday.
    Potentially Awesome Thing #1

Google is not going to play favorites with Motorola phones because it’ll tick off other manufacturers like HTC and Samsung. Google even stated that Motorola will operate as a separate entity from Google.

However, you can’t dispute that this purchase will bring the companies closer together and because of that, I think that Motorola phones will be quicker to get major Android updates.
    What does that mean for the Droid Bionic? Well, it means that Ice Cream Sandwich could come a whole lot faster when it’s released later this year. The point of the merger was to “supercharge” Android and I think part of that is Google wanting to get major updates out to phones not called Nexus in a much quicker fashion and the Droid Bionic could be the starting point.
    Potentially Awesome Thing #2

In the past, Motorola phones have been extremely hard to customize because of precautions the manufacturer has put into place. Specifically, Moto has locked down the bootloaders on phones rendering customization nearly impossible. The practice has definitely turned plenty of people to other companies who phones possess bootloaders that can could be unlocked more easily.
    Google’s Nexus device have no such issues and Motorola has even stated that it will be unlocking bootloaders in the future and I think it’s possible that this partnership could speed up the bootloader process for the Droid Bionic.
    Google now has the ability to put pressure on Motorola to put this into effect and with HTC already offering an unlocking process for the HTC Sensation, it would make sense to get Motorola on that level. It wants to “supercharge” Android after all. Now, will it have an unlocked bootloader at launch? I doubt it, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see it come at some point after launch.

So, I don’t see Google buying out Motorola affecting the Motorola Droid Bionic’s present condition but I could certainly see how it might work wonders for the Droid Bionic in the future.
    What do you guys and gals think?
    Source
    Follow Me on Twitter DroidNCState

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Kinda sums it up.

Bionic is overblown anyway.
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links