Amazon opens app store for Developers

This is a discussion on Amazon opens app store for Developers within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; Amazon has open the doors for Android Developer Registrations as the beginning of the Amazon Android Market begins to take shape. It will certainly be ...

Thread: Amazon opens app store for Developers

Twitter
    droidforums

Amazon opens app store for Developers

Amazon has open the doors for Android Developer Registrations as the beginning of the Amazon Android Market begins to take shape. It will certainly be interesting to see how the Amazon App Market differs from Google's current Android Market. Amazon investor's should be happy as it opens up an entire new revenue stream for the giant online retailer. At the end of the day, I believe it will be a good thing for the Android Community as it will continue to spread awareness and offer end users more choices. Here are some details of the new market outlined by TechCrunch:

1. Amazon is taking an approach that is more in line with Apple’s. Developers who wish to appear on Amazon’s store have to get approval (Amazon says that the process is currently taking about a week).
    2. Amazon says that it can offer recommendations using the technology that already exists on Amazon.com.
    3. Payments unsurprisingly will be done using Amazon’s one-click payment system (which already has tens of millions of credit cards on file)
    4. Customers will be able to browse through applications from their phone or on Amazon.com using their desktop computers, and they’ll be able to ‘send’ applications they buy to their mobile device.

How does Google feel about the new competition? They responded with:

Android is an open platform – and entities other than Google are free to create their own content and marketplaces, much like the web.
    Source: TechCrunch.com

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Android Enthusiast mountainbikermark's Avatar
    Maybe this will get Google to change the 15 minute refund policy to at least an hour.
    Google has no worry with the Verizon app store as it's just a mess but Amazon does things right.
    Thanks, I'm looking forward to checking it out at launch

Support Our Troops!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved.

The United States is the land of the free because of the brave!
    Thank You to all who serve, have served in the U.S. military ,and to their families for your sacrifices. They are not in vain.
    May God bless the United States of America

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    I wonder if this will be open to devices that don't ship with the standard Android Market, like the multitude of tablet options out there now.

I thought AMZ Appstore would be DOA, since they want to set the price of apps?

Android Enthusiast Martin030908's Avatar
    Do we really think it's a good idea to have a second app store on Android?

Personally I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin030908 View Post
    Do we really think it's a good idea to have a second app store on Android?

Personally I don't.
    I say yes with a caveat...we need the curated environment, but not the (unreasonable) price pressures AMZ will have on the Google Android market. The idea is to stimulate devs to dev, not discourage them. Remove the pricing language form TOS, and AMZ will have a winnah.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    One feature I am crossing my fingers for is something that keeps track of what apps I've downloaded in a list that's saved with my username... that way after the release of a new ROM I could sign back into the Store and it would just restore my previously installed apps back or I could just select which apps out of my list I want restored. I just hate having to backup and restore apps, or go through the market and selectively re-download and re-install all my apps one-by-one. Such a pain.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    One feature I am crossing my fingers for is something that keeps track of what apps I've downloaded in a list that's saved with my username... that way after the release of a new ROM I could sign back into the Store and it would just restore my previously installed apps back or I could just select which apps out of my list I want restored. I just hate having to backup and restore apps, or go through the market and selectively re-download and re-install all my apps one-by-one. Such a pain.
    MyBackUpPro... this will solve all your problems. I use it after every new ROM flash.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    How did I not know about that?! Thanks!

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    How did I not know about that?! Thanks!
    It has root privileges as well.

I use the backup schedule (every day at 3am it auto-runs itself). You can keep as many backups as you want... and it'll start to over ride the oldest once that limit is met. I've had zero issues with it compared to a few with Titanium Backup. MBUP will restore all market links as well (with root access).

It's by far one of my must haves. Saves me tons and tons of time. Plus you can set it to save just the app itself, or the app and the settings within the app.
    It will also backup your SMS, system settings, music playlists, any notes in a note app, etc etc. (i forget the rest)

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links