From stock to "rooted" in less than a day, the Nexus S is cracked with surprising efficiency by koush over at XDA. It's fantastic just how customizable "Andy" really is, and how quickly the industrious people out there figure this stuff out. It definitely feeds the 'gear-head' in all of us, and we appreciate it greatly!
Here are some instructions quoted from the guys at XDA, to assist the gear-head in you that wants to root your shiny new Nexus S (of course we have to throw in the disclaimer that you will void your warranty, so play safe!):
- First, reboot into your bootloader/fastboot mode. (Volume + Power Up, or adb reboot bootloader)
- Fastboot oem unlock
- Then, install this recovery - http://koush.tandtgaming.com/recover...rk-herring.img
- Fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-herring.img
- Then boot into Clockwork recovery and install the Superuser zip file (adb reboot recovery, or from fastboot choose recovery) - [APP] Superuser 22.214.171.124 - Now on the Market [2010-09-05] - xda-developers
- To install a rooted/insecure boot image (adb has root) - http://koush.tandtgaming.com//samsun...g/rootboot.img
- Fastboot flash boot rootboot.img
- ROM Manager support is coming shortly.
If you need more detailed support and descriptions hit the links in the story above or below.
Source: XDA via Phonearena