Federal Ban on All Cell Phone Use While Driving Proposed For US

This is a discussion on Federal Ban on All Cell Phone Use While Driving Proposed For US within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; Anyone that drives has been there. You're sitting at a red light waiting to make a left turn, the green arrow lights up and the ...

Thread: Federal Ban on All Cell Phone Use While Driving Proposed For US

Federal Ban on All Cell Phone Use While Driving Proposed For US

Anyone that drives has been there. You're sitting at a red light waiting to make a left turn, the green arrow lights up and the car in front of you just sits there. You give them a courtesy honk, you know the ones that are short and sweet, and they make their left hand turn going 2 mph holding you up as the light turns green bringing on the oncoming traffic. Furious that they left you hanging out like that, you pull up next to them and see them chatting away on their phone oblivious to everything around them. How about the guy in front of you who weaves onto oncoming traffic almost causing a head on collision texting away on his phone? It's a dangerous game that plays out on highways across America. Last year 3,000 fatal accidents occurred on America's highways last year as a result of distracted driving. Not all of those were comprised of people on their cell phones, but the fact remains that distracted driving is a problem.

Talking and texting while driving may find itself on the ban list across all 50 states. A federal ban on all cellphone use while operating a motor vehicle has been proposed by U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. The proposed ban applies to any vehicle, on any road, in any state, and covers both talking and texting with a cellphone. LaHood pointed out that 38 states already have laws on the books banning or restricting the use of cellphones while driving, but this new federal law would supersede those. Gary Biller, president of the National Motorists Association, said the new law is not necessary because it would be redundant. He goes on to say:

It shouldn't matter if the driver is distracted by a conversation with another vehicle passenger, tuning the radio, eating a snack, or talking on a cell phone. Existing laws cover all those distractions and more.

Mr Biller makes a very valid point, but if drivers are faced with steep fines for being caught talking/texting on their phones it does seem to curb the behavior. Are you in favor of a Federal law being imposed on cellphone use while driving, or should it remain a state level mandated law?

Via: Mobile Burn

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

I have to say that I agree with this one.

I think we as a people have become far too dependent on our cell phones for everything we do. That is not to say, that I am not one of those people. I am, and I require it for work(another thing that has come from the use of mobile phones, something that was never needed before).

With that being said, the law itself will be really useful the first 90 days it is valid and officers of the law go crazy pulling everyone over with a cell phone to their ears. Lots of revenue will come in with regards to tickets written in those first 90 days.

Now prove, while I am using bluetooth, that I was talking to someone on the phone. If you ask me to look at my phone, unless in your state the officer can request it, you aren't going to look at it. If I cause an accident, and hurt or kill someone. I am going to admit that I was on the phone and was not paying attention. I have to live with that decision for the rest of my life. The family and friends affected will suffer loss for the rest of their lives.

People are still going to drive around talking on the phone.

On a personal note, when I am driving and talking on the phone, I very rarely pay attention to the conversation. I have my eyes all over the place, because I feel driving is more important.

You know that little planet in Solar System? The one with lots of water in it? Yeah, that's the one!
    As long as I can use alcohol while on wheels, this law does not matter to me at all.

---
    When people run in circles,
    it's a very very mad world.
    Tears for Fears
    Warning! All outlaws will be shot! Survivors will be shot again!

~~~ Guidelines of Conduct ~~~
    The rest of you, have a nice day.

Personally i resent government intrusion on my personal liberties.

Ads