Editor in Chief
GSM Samsung Galaxy S III is Too Hot to Handle; Literally Catches Fire
No, this isn't one of those fun but cringeworthy stories where you see some crazy blogger with too much money doing crazy things with his device like dropping it from a building or cooking it on a grill. Apparently, for one owner of the international version of the Samsung Galaxy S III, his device became hotter than the presales figures, quite literally. Supposedly, and there are several pics that seem to corroborate this, a gentlemen in Dublin had his SGS3 explode and burst into flames while it was sitting in his car dock with the charger not plugged in.
Of course he immediately took it back to Carphone Warehouse where he purchased it, and they took it from him to send to Samsung for investigation, but they let him leave empty-handed. Apparently, they must suspect that he did something hinky with it to get it to do that, but they want to let Samsung investigate it to be sure. Since the incident, Samsung has issued a statement,
"There have been recent online posts displaying pictures of a Samsung GALAXY SIII that appears to have heat-related damage at the bottom of the device. Samsung is aware of this issue and will begin investigating as soon as we receive the specific product in question.Once the investigation is complete, we will be able to provide further details on the situation. We are committed to providing our customers with the safest products possible and are looking at this seriously."-Samsung statement
What do you guys think? Is this a hoax or just some rare and random event? Let's keep our fingers crossed that it is an isolated and one-time incident regardless.
Source: S3Forums via PhoneArena
06-21-2012 11:01 AM
Hoax, if it caught on fire it would have burn marks in areas besides just the charging port.