Sneaky Update from Samsung Strips the International Galaxy S III of Local Search

This is a discussion on Sneaky Update from Samsung Strips the International Galaxy S III of Local Search within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; In a move that is probably a slightly over-cautious pre-emptive defense of it's flagship device, Samsung has sent out an OTA update to their Galaxy ...

Thread: Sneaky Update from Samsung Strips the International Galaxy S III of Local Search

Sneaky Update from Samsung Strips the International Galaxy S III of Local Search

In a move that is probably a slightly over-cautious pre-emptive defense of it's flagship device, Samsung has sent out an OTA update to their Galaxy S III that strips it of its "local search" functionality. Samsung calls this update a "stability" upgrade, but really it is designed to keep the "wandering eye of the dark lord Sauron (Apple's Lawyers) from focusing its gaze on the heroic Frodo (the Galaxy S III), so as to go unnoticed." (This overly sensationalistic LotR analogy is only meant for a bit of harmless humor. )

Samsung has already done this with the U.S. versions of the phone, and to be clear, so far, there has been no indication that Apple could/would be targeting either version of the phone. Still, it's hard to blame Samsung for being a bit skittish. Share your thoughts.

Source: S3Forums via SlashGear

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Thank you for posting this. This info is something I will consider in future decisions. While Samsung is moving to protect its own interests, the general buying public may not be so inclined to accept anything that downgrades what they are willing to pay for.

F Apple - the evil empire. Sooner or later the evil eye will fall down.

Quote Originally Posted by cali View Post
    Thank you for posting this. This info is something I will consider in future decisions. While Samsung is moving to protect its own interests, the general buying public may not be so inclined to accept anything that downgrades what they are willing to pay for.
    I understand what Samsung is doing is to protect itself from being sued but, how is that a drawback for the mobile users? As they say the search results from the local content on Galaxy S3 will not be mixed with the web search results. I don't think this is a big issue at all.

Quote Originally Posted by spidershowl11 View Post
    I understand what Samsung is doing is to protect itself from being sued but, how is that a drawback for the mobile users? As they say the search results from the local content on Galaxy S3 will not be mixed with the web search results. I don't think this is a big issue at all.

Like most of the public, I am not referring to specifics. I would be turned off by the fact that the device had something when I bought it, then that "something" was taken away. None of us like getting "less" for "more".

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links