[RUMOR] Samsung Galaxy S IV Will Launch in April with "Unbreakable" Screen

This is a discussion on [RUMOR] Samsung Galaxy S IV Will Launch in April with "Unbreakable" Screen within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; According to the latest industry intel, Samsung may be looking to accelerate the launch of their "Project J" device, which is the codename for the ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dgstorm
  • 1 Post By grenefroggie
  • 1 Post By Miller6386

Thread: [RUMOR] Samsung Galaxy S IV Will Launch in April with "Unbreakable" Screen

711 times

[RUMOR] Samsung Galaxy S IV Will Launch in April with "Unbreakable" Screen

According to the latest industry intel, Samsung may be looking to accelerate the launch of their "Project J" device, which is the codename for the Galaxy S IV. Supposedly, they plan to launch the phone in April of 2013 instead of May (which is when they launched the SGS3 this year). Furthermore, the source of this info suggests the new flagship from Samsung will likely carry a unique feature. Apparently, the SGS4 will come sporting an "unbreakable" 5-Inch 441 ppi display. Now, we aren't sure how Samsung is going to pull off an "unbreakable" display, but we do have one idea, and Reuters seems to concur. Perhaps they finally worked out all the kinks in their flexible plastic display OLED technology.

Here's a quote with a few more details below,

And, as smartphones increasingly look alike - the converging form factor - an unbreakable screen could be a big selling point for the Galaxy, which is battling Apple Inc's iPhone to lead the $200 billion plus smartphone market.

The Galaxy S IV is also expected to have bigger and better display, powerful quad-core processing power and a 13-megapixel camera, with picture density improving to 441 pixels per inch (ppi), a big improvement from the Galaxy S III's 306 ppi and better than the iPhone 5's 326 ppi.

"Looking to the first half of 2013, we see evidence of Samsung likely accelerating the release of the Galaxy S IV - compared with May (this year) for the Galaxy S III," said UBS analyst Nicolas Gaudois. "We believe preparations for volume manufacturing of unbreakable plastic substrate displays continue. All in all, we could see a strong products push in the high-end in the first half, followed by other releases."

Samsung declined to comment.

Samsung, a major backer of organic light-emitting diode (OLED) display, is a frontrunner in developing unbreakable screens, as OLED panels can replace glass substrate with plastic material. Down the road, mobile gadgets could be flexible as well as unbreakable.

"Eventually, they'll have unbreakable and flexible displays. Either the Galaxy S IV or S V will have unbreakable and even possibly flexible and foldable displays by 2014. That's going to be a game-changer," said Mark Newman, an analyst at Stanford Bernstein in Hong Kong.
    Is it too soon to get excited about the "Next Big Thing" from Samsung? It's almost scary how fast time flies...

Source: Reuters
    msndrstood likes this.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

50 times
    Dang it, I just got my GSIII the way I like it, now I have to get another one!!!

I am a phone nut, I have quite a few of them.
    UltraDroid likes this.

7 times
    I just can't see Samsung releasing a new model so soon...... Maybe next fall sometime but to release 2 major devices like this so close together just seems to have far to much potential to upset to many people.... You have to let the novelty of the previous model die off before you toss something new in the faces of those who JUST purchased the S3... Not saying they won't release some specs as a "tease" to what is coming but I truly feel it would be bad business to do another ground breaking release this close to the last.
    UltraDroid likes this.

329 times
    In total agreement with previous two posts. Too soon. Minimum of 18 months, preferably two years, between devices would be optimal. That way more closely aligned with the end of two year contracts and people can upgrade with no problem, in addition to previous points. Less than a year, way too soon.

Cleveland, Ohio - the North Coast, Baby!
    519 times
    Plus, a delay will give ME time to get the money together to pay cash for the thing.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links