Apple May Seek to Ban Future Samsung Devices

This is a discussion on Apple May Seek to Ban Future Samsung Devices within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; Here we are again folks, back in court with Apple and Samsung, but this time with a twist. Apple, in it's desperate attempts at trying ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By grenefroggie

Thread: Apple May Seek to Ban Future Samsung Devices

Apple May Seek to Ban Future Samsung Devices

Here we are again folks, back in court with Apple and Samsung, but this time with a twist. Apple, in it's desperate attempts at trying to regain lost smartphone market share from Samsung, may push to add unreleased Samsung mobile products, on top of the other 26 products, to a permanent U.S. sales ban it’s seeking after winning a $1.05 billion verdict. Just when you thought the $1 billion verdict was enough, word is that Apple will attempt to argue that Samsung owes them an additional $535 million for Samsung’s willful infringment. As expected Sammy says they are being charged unfairly and that the jury miscalculated the amount owed in the first place. They hope to see the total recounted and lowered.

U.S. District Judge Lucy H. Koh will also hear Samsung’s argument that the verdict should be thrown out because of alleged misconduct by the jury’s foreman. Samsung’s argument that it deserves a new trial is based on its claim that Velvin Hogan (jury foreman) had introduced “incorrect and extraneous legal standards” in the jury deliberations that may have produced the faulty verdict. It has also come out that Hogan was once sued by Seagate Technology, a Samsung partner. Isn't that an interesting bit of information?

As you can see this war is far from over and Samsung has it's work cut out for it here in the States. How this will end up is anyone's guess, but the possibility of Samsung having a ban on their future products could really hurt the company in the mobile space. If the ruling goes in favor of Apple, it will have a direct impact on innovation across the board for Android manufacturers, and that is something we desperately wish to avoid. How do you think this next battle will play out? Will Apple be able to convince the judge to go ahead with a future product ban and will Samsung convince Judge Lucy Koh to lower the amount owed to Apple?

Source: Business Week

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    It's a bird

Re: Apple May Seek to Ban Future Samsung Devices

No matter what, still love Android and Samsung

Take a break Apple with this
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Apple continues it's policy of trying to win in court what it is unable to win in the marketplace.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Agree with UltraDroid on this. Does not set well with some people.

Apple will be Apple. And Samsung will continue to fight. For anyone that has been keeping track of this silly battle, you are aware that HTC settled with Apple under undisclosed terms to the public. HTC had no choice. Just as quickly as they rose to the top of the mobile phone market, they fell. I believe that if they did not come to some sort of agreement with Apple, Apple would have buried the company in court and likely killed off a very popular but struggling device manufacturer.

Samsung on the other hand is basking in major market share. That's not to say they still don't have a tough fight ahead of them, but they have some power behind them. The Galaxy line of phones and tablets are all around spectacular and very popular. Samsung is also pushing ahead with every major new phone release with interesting features to entice buyers....while the iPhone...well, it has LTE (welcome to 2011 Apple) and a fancy panoramic camera and woo hoo, it got slightly taller...because "it made sense" (there might be more, I don't know, I don't pay attention to the new features every new feature they implement). The point I am trying to make, is that when you look at the growth from the first iPhone (gray and black 2G) to the iPhone 5, it has not gone through a HUGE cosmetic evolution. With time we expect better hardware, and more features, but nothing revolutionary. That is good and bad, you can't mistake an iPhone for another phone on the market (now the Galaxy Tab could be a different story, which Apple has won in court over...except the UK). The phone is iconic. It is indeed unique in its own right. Consumers know what it is.

If you look at the evolution of the Galaxy line from the S all the way to the SIII (and let me tell you I am happy they got it right...the amount of variants in the SII line kind of made me go LOL WTF really, are you kidding me?), Samsung has unified as best they can their phone over all of the carriers (in the US, as that is where I reside, but even the international version) to look like the same phone. You can take a Sprint GSIII and an AT&T SIII side by side and you have almost the same phone. Some minor software caveats, but otherwise, you can go from one to the other with little trouble and feel like you are using the same phone. And with Jelly Bean really bringing Android in to its own, Samsung has a very powerful line with the SIII that will make a really popular phone...until the SIV comes out next year.

***Disclaimer*** I am not an iPhone hater. The phone itself is a nice piece of hardware. Just like any Android based phone, it has it's quirks (Sprint release anyone?) like the Maps fiasco (and someone got fired for it). I just don't like how Apple goes about trying to stifle innovation with patent lawsuits, but then turns around and uses other's technology and doesn't want to pay for the licensing. ***End Disclaimer***

I would also like to point out with the purchase of Motorola Mobility by Google, Google now has a library of over 40,000 patents to play with. Granted, if I am not mistaken most of them are covered by FRAND, this has given Google some power in the mobile phone market. Motorola has won a few battles overseas with their patents. The one that I can think of that isn't covered under FRAND was won in Germany in regards to iMessage. I don't know if they ever got it worked out, but Motorola has the patent for the system that Apple uses to deploy iMessage. Cool win for Motorola. Also, remember the whole iPhone 4 antenna shorting when touching both sides of the phone? Motorola has the patent for wrapping a wireless devices antenna around the edge of the phone. I don't recall the benefit of the system, but I am also pretty sure the designer who worked for Apple that came up with that idea was also let go. Apple doesn't like to lose.

So what am I really getting at? Apple may get an injunction banning the sale of the devices if they try really hard. But it just won't last. The fact that a judge would let it happen does irritate me. I know it irritates a lot of people. But ultimately this is the world we live in. We can change it, but it will take time. Samsung, Motorola, Google and other hardware manufacturers that use Android for their products will do whatever they can to keep their popular products on the market. One thing Apple lacks is the willingness to take risks. Due to that line of thinking they have come out with a solid product that is loved around the world. They are going to do whatever they can to keep it that way, even if it means fighting in the courts instead of in sales.
    CR6 and UltraDroid like this.

Well said Froggie, very well said.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links