Samsung Promises to Bring Galaxy S4 Features to Galaxy S3 & Galaxy Note 2

This is a discussion on Samsung Promises to Bring Galaxy S4 Features to Galaxy S3 & Galaxy Note 2 within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; Samsung has vowed to bring most of their "wow" new features from the Galaxy S IV over to their previous-gen flagship devices, the SGS3 and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Samsung Promises to Bring Galaxy S4 Features to Galaxy S3 & Galaxy Note 2

Samsung Promises to Bring Galaxy S4 Features to Galaxy S3 & Galaxy Note 2

Samsung has vowed to bring most of their "wow" new features from the Galaxy S IV over to their previous-gen flagship devices, the SGS3 and the GNote2. Here's a quote with some of the details,

PCMag spoke with Nick DiCarlo, Samsung's vice president of portfolio planning, at tonight's event, and he said that many of the software improvements in the Samsung Galaxy S4 could make their way into existing Samsung Galaxy S3 phones.
    "Anything that we can do that's not dependent on hardware like infrared, we'll definitely bring to all the flagship devices," he said.

That may include the Galaxy S4's new camera features, which DiCarlo said several times were a highlight of the new phone. When asked why Samsung picked a 13-megapixel camera sensor rather than going for bigger pixels like HTC did, he said the new UI was more important.

"The key thing you've got to think about in this debate is, how easy is a camera to use and what cool things can you do with it?" he said. "Photo quality is great, and has been great; for the average person the day-to-day person you're not having a quality argument about photography. For your everyday use case, the ability to remove photobombers and that kind of stuff is really what's going to have people talking."

When asked about what he considers the "wow" features on the S4, DiCarlo called out the camera UI, the WatchNow TV remote and gesture control, but also how Samsung made the device's screen bigger while the phone is physically smaller than the Galaxy S3.
    It makes sense if you think about it. The modularity of the Android OS makes it such that if the hardware is capable of handling the needs of the software, there is no reason they couldn't make the new SGS4 features available on the SGS3 and GNote2. Kudos to Samsung if they make this happen. Of course, it suggests a question... if you own an SGS3 or GNote2, and it will be able to do what the SGS4 can do, then why upgrade at all? What do you guys think?

Source: PCMag

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Re: Samsung Promises to Bring Galaxy S4 Features to Galaxy S3 & Galaxy Note 2

Well good, I have no reason to get it now. :cool:

.........TPT'd From my SGS3

Yep....I'll more than likely wait for the S5 to come out.

tap'n

Agree...... More or less unless something else comes along. Haha!:D

CR6 likes this.

Android Lurker AndroidAppsForWork.com's Avatar
    Not only will I not be upgrading from my Galaxy S3, but if I had a lesser phone and was due for an upgrade, I would get the S3 for practically nothing and get most of the same features. But there's always a market of people who want the absolute latest and greatest, so I'm sure Samsung will be fine.

Plus, as an S3 owner, I'm pleased to know they'll be upgrading many of the software features on my phone. Cheers Samsung!

You know that little planet in Solar System? The one with lots of water in it? Yeah, that's the one!

I agree that the S III is still more than enough capable of doing anything because of its power and now that it'll get the features. But the S 4 is like an insurance for the future. It'll remain fully capable for a longer time so it's still worth getting it, plus the battery should last a lot longer because of 2600 mAh capacity and bigLITTLE in the international version.
    Tears for Fears
    Warning! All outlaws will be shot! Survivors will be shot again!

~~~ Guidelines of Conduct ~~~
    The rest of you, have a nice day.

I disagree in the battery lasting longer though. It might be bigger but there's also a bigger screen to support. I guess we will see when it's finally out.

You know that little planet in Solar System? The one with lots of water in it? Yeah, that's the one!

The screen is barely bigger at all, only by 0.2"@360p. The bigLITTLE is said to reduce the energy consumption by up to 3 times.
    Tears for Fears

I'll believe it when I see it. Most smart phones these days last a little more than half a day with moderate use. Below that with heavy. You can't really take manufacturers claims seriously until you see it done, which in most cases isn't when it comes to battery life claims.

Of course it can't last 3 times longer because of the powerful chip and the screen even if it is 3 times less power-demanding. I didn't say it will *last* three times longer, only that it requires 3 times less power according to them, that means other factors are highly influencing the lifetime (like screen, the SoC, RAM). But A7 is *bound* to last longer. And 0.2"@360p isn't that much of an enlargement. The optimizations of bigLITTLE they've shown on a video did seem good.
    Tears for Fears

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links