[DroidX] RoOoLeR's Guide ROOT / UNROOT / BACKUP / ROM / SBF / OVERCLOCK

This is a discussion on [DroidX] RoOoLeR's Guide ROOT / UNROOT / BACKUP / ROM / SBF / OVERCLOCK within the Android Rooting forums, part of the Android Development category; Due to personal reasons. I have chosen to delete my Guide from this forum. I have however left a very small portion of it to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: [DroidX] RoOoLeR's Guide ROOT / UNROOT / BACKUP / ROM / SBF / OVERCLOCK

[DroidX] RoOoLeR's Guide ROOT / UNROOT / BACKUP / ROM / SBF / OVERCLOCK

Due to personal reasons. I have chosen to delete my Guide from this forum. I have however left a very small portion of it to keep this thread "legitimate". For the complete guide email me at RoOoLeRxx@gmail.com and follow me on twitter for info @RoOoLeR. This forum does not allow external links to be posted thanks for everyone's' patience and help!

What my guide includes**

Table of Contents
    1- Android Lingo
    - Android Terms/Terminology

2- Rooting The DroidX
    - Way #1 Z4Root
    - Way #2 RootMyX2
    - Way #3 Manual Root

3- Un-Rooting the DroidX
    - Manual Un-Root
    - Z4Root Un-Root

4- Creating Backups / SBF
    - Creating Nandroid Backups
    - Restoring Nandroid Backups
    - SBF'ing the DroidX Via RSD Lite
    - SBF'ing the Droidx Via Maderstcok

5- Flashing ROMs
    - How to Flash a ROM Via Clockwork
    - How to Flash a ROM Via Rom Manager

6- Overclock
    - QuickClock Advanced App
    - Jrummys DroidX/2 Overclock App

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is ROOT? And why do we want it?

"In Windows lingo it is the same as an Administrative account. In laymen terms this account holds all the keys, it is the gate keeper so to speak. This account can unlock or lock down permissions for users, programs and any thing else requesting them including itself.

When you first recieve your phone you only have user permissions. These permissions only allow you to see, access, or change certain directories and files on your phone. When in reality there are many more. By gaining root or "superuser" permissions you have access to these additional directories and files including the /system directory. With this additional access we can change every aspect of our phones including adding features. Some very desirable (Free WiFi Tethering ), some not so desirable (Paper weight mode ).

By gaining root we can theme our phones. This is the same as theming anything else you just change the look of the existing UI (User Interface). We can also change our ROM. Changing our ROM allows us to actually change the UI. What changes you ask? Well that all depends on the ROM and what the Developer changed. Basically anything the Dev thinks of and has the knowledge to program/change." Credit -> overfiendx

Deodexed

Deodexed ROMs have their .apk's (which are basically the application packages) repackaged in a certain way. An "odex" can be thought of as a collection of parts of applications that have been pulled out and optimized before booting. This speeds up the boot process - in a way, it preloads part of the applications - but it also makes hacking those apps difficult because part of the original code is already extracted somewhere else.

Deodexing is just a process of putting those pieces back into the original applications. It takes a while to extract those parts and build the .dex cache (aka Dalvik cache), but only because the relevant parts aren't in an easy-to-access place for the system. The advantage of this is that an app can be modified effectively and the developer doesn't have to worry about conflicts from the separate odex part of the code.

So, short version: "Deodexed" ROMs have all their apps put back together. If an app can be themed, for example, a deodexed version of that app will not get messed up when the modified .apk tries to mesh with the odex of the original un-modified .apk. Because it's not there.

If you want an aftermarket theme, you need a deodexed ROM. I'm not sure if deodexing can be done to individual apps within a non-deodexed ROM.Credit -> SilverZero

Odex

You will never find an odexed theme since the odex file would contain things that needed to be changed, thus themes are deodexed. Themes basically just replace the .apk or .jar with their version, which wouldn't work on an odexed rom.

Basically, Android uses a a java based virtual machine as the bases for running programs. This virtual machine is called Dalvik. A .dex file contains the cache used by the Dalvik VM (called Dalvik-cache) for a program and is stored inside the .apk. A .odex file is an optimized version of the .dex file which gets stored next to the .apk as opposed to inside the .apk. This process is done by default to system apps. Deodexing is the process of converting the .odex files back into .dex to be stored inside the .apk so that things can be more easily modified. So a deodexed rom is one that has been through the deodexing process. Deodex can just as easily be called Unodex or any other pre-fix you wish to use.Credit -> faster3200

adb: Android Debug Bridge, a versatile tool lets you manage the state of an emulator instance or Android-powered device

ADK: Android Development Kit, What people use to develop anything for the droid such as ROM's

Baseband: In communications and signal processing, the baseband describes signals and systems whose range of the frequencies measured from close to 0 hertz to a cut-off frequency, a maximum bandwidth or highest signal frequency; it is sometimes used to describe frequencies starting close to zero

Boot Loader: State in which the droid can be flashed from RSD with an appropriate .sdk file that reprograms the phone into a specific ROM or update. This is typically a last resort when the recovery screen cannot be reached to make a much simpler and less risky solution

Boot Loop: simply means something is preventing the phone from completing it's boot cycle and is stuck between the boot animation and the unlock screen, creating a looped animation. This is often fixed by either reloading a Nandroid, or Reflashing a rom from the Boot Loader.

Brick or Bricked: Jargon for a completely unrecoverable device, (no more than a brick or paperweight)

Bug or Software Bug: an Error or flaw in software that produces a failure or unexpected/unwanted result. Typically created from incorrect code, this is why some ROMs are better and smoother running than others because certain developers have taken the time to input "perfect" code

Busybox: BusyBox is a single multicall binary that packages the functionality of most widely used standard Unix tools, BusyBox provides a fairly complete environment for any small or embedded system.

ClockworkMod: A recovery program that is often used to apply updates, ROMs, or create a back up or restore a backup file

Dev. or Developer: An individual that creates, or alters a file in such a manner as to advance the program

Flash or Flash Memory: a program technology that can be electrically erased and reprogrammed

Froyo: Short for Frozen Yogurt, is the latest iteration (2.2) of Android, Google's mobile operating system.

Kernel: The governor of the CPU usage and Battery output, one can upload certain Kernels to achieve greater performance speed of their device at the cost of some battery life

Root: Common word associated with giving a user "super user" access to their phones programming and other various aspects that would normally not be possible, also known as "Jailbroken" for iPhone's

Nandroid or Nandroid Backup: A file typically created in the custom recovery program, such as SPRecovery, that is a carbon copy of whatever state your phone is in before a drastic change is made. the file then can be moved onto or off of the SD card for later use in case something should go wrong in the ROM or Update, or a Boot Loop occurs

OS: Operating system, I.E. Windows Vista or MAC or ANDROID

OTA: Over the air...

Overclocking: Speeding up the CPU past the factory presets to achieve a faster and more responsive device

ROM: Read Only Memory, a program used to make changes to anything from the look of the home screen, to icons to custom boot animation

RSD or RSD lite: Remote Software Download, Motorola's own tool in flashing virtualy any type of program, (so long as its in .sbf form) to the Android OS

Shell or SSH: secure shell or ssh is a network protocol that allows data to be exchanged using a secure channel between two networked devices

SPR or SPRecovery: A recovery program that is often used to apply updates, ROMs, or create a back up or restore a backup file

Stock: Simply means an unaltered state, such as when you first purchase your phone from Verizon, or when you do a factory reset

SU: "Super user", or root permissions

Theme: A set of icons, backgrounds and app trays that change the ascthetics of the overall look of the droid and its applications

TUN/TAP: Refers to a network Tunnel, operates within layer 3 packets, or ip packets. Packets sent by a system via a TUN/TAP device are delivered to a user-space program that attaches itself to the device. A user space program may also pass packets into a TUN/TAP device. In this case TUN/TAP device delivers (or "injects") these packets to the operating system's network stack thus emulating their reception from an external source.

Underclocking: Slowing down the CPU mainly to limit battery usage

.sbf: System Boot File

.apk or APK's: An .apk file extension denotes an Android Package (APK) file, an .apk file can be opened and inspected using common archive tools

.tar: Similar to a zip file, a tar file archives multiple files into one file

.tgz: TGZ files are commonly used as install packages for Slackware Linux.

**Credit to Sam Fisher on DF for this**

More Information to Come*
    Last edited by RoOoLeR; 04-10-2011 at 08:14 PM.
    Blueduck3285 likes this.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Guide deleted Follow me on Twitter @RoOoLeR for more information.

Last edited by RoOoLeR; 04-10-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Last edited by RoOoLeR; 04-10-2011 at 08:02 PM.

Last edited by RoOoLeR; 04-10-2011 at 08:03 PM.

Thanks RoOoler, this is a very useful guide

No thank you

Twitter
    wwickedd
    glad to see this here too bro! going to be linking to this thread alot.. lol
    joxzin likes this.

Android Enthusiast It's Bubba " v "'s Avatar

Roooler....

What's the differents between the System Version and the Android Verision....going to Root my phone this weekend and just want to make sure I understand the process...the Guide looks quite simple...but the rules change once it begins...Should this be done thru a PC or Directly thru this Phone...

ROOTING DROIDX 2.2 & 2.2.1 Way #1 One Click Root

I
    Yeah, Bubba did it...He Always gets Something going.... Its a Family Site Too...Yaa know

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links