***Official Root Droid1 with a Mac thread***

This is a discussion on ***Official Root Droid1 with a Mac thread*** within the Android Rooting forums, part of the Android Development category; Rooting/Unrooting Droid 1 Through a Mac This thread is to guide those of us who own a Mac and do not have access to a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: ***Official Root Droid1 with a Mac thread***

Android Enthusiast OneTenderRebel's Avatar

***Official Root Droid1 with a Mac thread***

Rooting/Unrooting Droid 1 Through a Mac

This thread is to guide those of us who own a Mac and do not have access to a Windows based comp to run RSDlite. I know this goes without saying but if you chose to follow this guide I am not responsible for any damage that may be done to your phone. Ok now that, that is out of the way.

Step 1
    Download a free Virtual Machine found here Downloads - VirtualBox Install it but do not set anything up for it yet.

Step 2
    Download the latest release of Ubuntu found here Download | Ubuntu. Instruction on how to burn it to the disc are found on that same link. Make sure you download the proper file, one is for 32 bit and the other is for 64 bit.

Step 3 (these steps were taken from Installing Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) on Mac OS X Using VirtualBox | TechSource credit to them)
    Run the VirtualBox application and create a new virtual machine.

Allocate RAM to your virtual machine. The recommended amount of memory is 512MB

Create a new virtual hard disk for Ubuntu.

Select the type of virtual hard disk. I recommend you use dynamically expanding storage for a more flexible disk space.

Decide on the size of disk space that will be allotted to your virtual machine.

The virtual disk will be created once you click on the "Done" button.

Turn on the virtual machine by clicking on the "Start" icon.

The first run wizard will appear to help you install the OS, in this case Ubuntu 10.10.

Select the media that contains the Ubuntu 10.10 ISO installer.

Make sure CD is inserted and ready to boot for install.

Once you are done, the Ubuntu 10.10 installation process will follow.

Step 4
    Now to install ubuntu (these steps were taken right from the Ubuntu website credit Ubuntu.com)

(1) Prepare to install Ubuntu: We recommend you plug your computer into a power source for this stage. You should also make sure you have enough space on your computer to install Ubuntu. We advise you to stay connected to the Internet so you can get the latest updates while you install Ubuntu. If you're having problems connecting to the Internet, use the menu in the top-right hand corner to select a network.

(2) Allocate drive space: Use the checkboxes to choose whether you'd like to Install Ubuntu alongside another operating system, delete your existing operating system and replace it with Ubuntu, or if you're an advanced user choose the amount of space you would like to allocate to Ubuntu. (OneTenderRebel addition, since we are installing through a Virtual Machine go ahead and delete OS and replace with Ubuntu, this will not delete your current OS even though it says so)

(3) Begin the installation: Depending on your previous selections, you can now verify that you have chosen the way in which you would like to install Ubuntu. The installation process will begin when you click the 'Install Now' button.

(4) Select your location and click 'Forward' to proceed. If you're unsure of your time zone, type the name of the town you're in and we'll help you find it.

(5) Select your preferred keyboard layout.

(6) Enter your login and password details.

(7) Learn more about Ubuntu while the system installs... Or make a cup of tea!

(8) Restart and enjoy Ubuntu!

Step 5
    Download sbf_flash found here http://dl.opticaldelusion.org/sbf_flash?attredirects=0 don't know the dev of this program but big credit to him/her. This is a .bin file so it will not be installed like a normal program, it is run through terminal. It is important to place this file in your home folder so when you run commands it picks up the location properly.

Step 6
    Find whichever SBF file you need. I don't have a site handy with a list of all the sbf files but I know there are some good write ups, here is a great one done by MotoCache1 to get you rooted so credit him Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum
    You will need to download the "my recovery only file" and the "my complete root update file". You need to extract the sbf file out of the my recovery only zip. You need to also place this file in your home folder for the same reason mentioned for the sbf_flash file. Also rename the my complete root update file to update,zip. You need to make sure that you have selected the Droid under the devices menu that will appear at the top of the screen or the bottom depending if you are in full screen mode or not. Go ahead and mount your phone and place the update.zip file on the root of your SD card (meaning do not place it in any folders, you should be able to see the file as soon as you open the storage for the sd card)

Step 7
    You need to make sure you have USB debugging turned on which is done through Settings/Applications/Development. Plug your phone into your comp via usb. Boot into the phone's bootloader which is done by powering off the phone, opening the physical keyboard holding up on the d-pad and powering back on while holding up. This should boot you right into the bootloader. Do not for any reason unplug your phone from the computer.

Step 8
    Ok now to get you rooted finally! You need to make sure that you have selected the Droid under the devices menu that will appear at the top of the screen or the bottom depending if you are in full screen mode or not. You need to run a few simple commands to get the process started. This is done through terminal. Open terminal first command should be "chmod +x sbf_flash" minus quotations hit enter. You will now enter "sudo ./sbf_flash 'insert sbf file here'" Minus quotations again. The best way to do this I have found is to open your home folder and drag the sbf file right into the terminal box. Hit enter, the process should start, if it says "waiting on phone" you once again need to select the droid from the "devices" menu. The process will start and when it finishes it should reboot your phone automatically if you did it correctly. This should now give you SPRecovery on your phone.

Step 9
    Install the update.zip file through SPrecovery. You can now power off the phone. Open the physical keyboard and hold the x button as you power it back on, continue to hold x until it boots you into SPRecovery. Using the d-pad to navigate go down to the "install" option, use the gold button in center of d-pad to hit enter. Go to the allow update.zip option once again hit enter. Then hit enter on the "install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)". This will now install all the necessary files to give your phone root access. Reboot your phone, if successful you will now see a Superuser Icon in your app drawer. Congrats you are now rooted.

So that is pretty much it in a nutshell. I will be making a quick guide for those of you who may be a bit more advanced and don't need this full tutorial. This method can also be used to unroot with a official VZW sbf file. Please if I left anything out or it doesn't make sense let me know so it can be fixed ASAP. This is my first tutorial like this so I want to make sure I am providing the best possible guide I can.
    wicked likes this.
    To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

I would GREATLY appreciate anyone willing to try this out and report back to me. I did it myself and it worked fine but I want to make sure I have all my steps down correctly.
    To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.

Reserved for Quick tutorial to come at later date......

Reserved just in case

Twitter
    wwickedd
    Very nice write up OTR. I'm sure this will help many.

Android Jr Member t.crawford714's Avatar
    I will hopefully try your guide. A week ago I needed to find this.

Sent from my DROIDX using Android.net App
    Watch out, the mods are watching....they're all watching...
    If I helped you, make sure to give it a "Like"
    Need additional help? PM me!
    I am NOT responsible for anything that happens to your phone.

A proud owner of a rooted DX

If you are just going to ROOT your phone there is no reason to use Unbutu. Just install the SDK and attach your phone via the adb shell

RSD? well then yes.

I don't know how successful that method is. I have never really seen anyone say it worked. Could be user error on their part but IDK?

Also I don't know that, that method works for Froyo.

Twitter
    guidot42
    Quote Originally Posted by t.crawford714 View Post
    I will hopefully try your guide. A week ago I needed to find this.

Sent from my DROIDX using Android.net App
    This method doesn't work on DX.

Quote Originally Posted by guidot View Post
    This method doesn't work on DX.
    You speaketh truth. However, with the right sbf files I don't see why this couldn't work for the X or the D2.

sent from the great depths of my phones internet (thanks Al Gore)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads