Rooting, ROMS, Etc. Questions...

This is a discussion on Rooting, ROMS, Etc. Questions... within the Android Rooting forums, part of the Android Development category; Alright guys, before I go and root, I would like to get a better understanding of the terminology and how these phones work. I only ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Rooting, ROMS, Etc. Questions...

Question Rooting, ROMS, Etc. Questions...

Alright guys, before I go and root, I would like to get a better understanding of the terminology and how these phones work. I only looked into it briefly when I purchased the phone months ago, now I am looking into it and I think I had the wrong misunderstanding of it. So lets start from the top and I will explain how I understand it to be and you can corect me where I am wrong. Sorry to compare our phones to a PC, but a PC I believe is something we all understand.

Rooting, is where you gain "super user" priveledges, such as giving yourself administrator account on a PC.

Roms are the operating system, such as the difference between XP, vista, and 7.

Now where I am a bit confused is the difference between 2.1 and 2.2. Are those hard updates, such a a BIOS update or are they just general outlines of the Roms. Such as windows, where they released XP, and you could get home or professional, and third parties went and tweaked it to release things such as tiny XP and whatnot.

The big question I have, is updating to 2.2 would it be comparable to upgrading to vista, or would it be comparable to upgrading my BIOS to support more features within that os?

Recently my phone received an update from dj05 to dl09 and that is similar to a service pack?

Now making a backup, would that be like creating a image of my current phone to roll back on if there is a failure? When an update from 2.1 to 2.2 is done, wouldn't I still be running the same rom on top of a 2.2 base, or would it be the same base and just be a 2.2 rom?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

You really need to separate android from windows in your mind, it will get easier that way, although the user to admin reference is a good one. 2.1 and 2.2 are android system versions, 2.2 is just an update of the whole OS, there are usually smaller updates in between like 2.2.1 for some devices. A nandroid backup is a total system image or restore point to fall back on if things get out of control. 2.1 or 2.2 would be considered the ROM, so when you update you are on a new ROM, custom ROMs will generally be built around the current official release
    Cheetos likes this.

So I do not have to upgrade to 2.2 before iinstall a 2.2 rom. They are interchangeable at any time. 2.2, would just be a general structure that it conforms to. And anyone with knowledge and time can create something,such as a 8.5 rom (which may cause confusion later on if android continues to grow where Google releases an official one)

Quote Originally Posted by 'Spencer 'Hill View Post
    So I do not have to upgrade to 2.2 before iinstall a 2.2 rom. They are interchangeable at any time. 2.2, would just be a general structure that it conforms to. And anyone with knowledge and time can create something,such as a 8.5 rom (which may cause confusion later on if android continues to grow where Google releases an official one)
    These two writeups may help you understand things a little better:

Rooting Explained + Top 5 Benefits Of Rooting Your Android Phone | Android Police

Custom ROMs For Android Explained And Why You Want Them | Android Police

Also see this thread over at DroidForums for an explanation of terminology:

A Dummies Guide To Android Terminoligy & Lingo | Droid Forum

Sounds like you have a Samsung Fascinate. As great as Android.net is, you will benefit a lot by signing up at FascinateForums (sister site to Anet). That whole community is about nothing but the Fascinate. You'll find a lot of helpful info there.

Oh yeah, welcome to the site!
    Cheetos likes this.

I am a member of the fascinate forums just figured the question would be answered better by the android community than the fascinate community. I appreciate all the help you have given on both sites muhibar

That's what we're here for!
    Cheetos likes this.

What is the difference between a rom and a launcher or are they both the same?

A ROM is the OS, a launcher is a home screen replacement that can alter the look and feel of the device
    Cheetos likes this.

Here's a good thread on some launchers
    http://www.android.net/forum/android...ents-here.html
    Cheetos likes this.

Well, then what is the difference between a launcher and a theme?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links