What is this rooting.....does it speed up the phone or is it for something else

This is a discussion on What is this rooting.....does it speed up the phone or is it for something else within the Android Rooting forums, part of the Android Development category; what is rooting....please explain or send a link so i can learn about this....please help this novice....thanks for any help.......

Thread: What is this rooting.....does it speed up the phone or is it for something else

What is this rooting.....does it speed up the phone or is it for something else

what is rooting....please explain or send a link so i can learn about this....please help this novice....thanks for any help....

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by texx3374 View Post
    what is rooting....please explain or send a link so i can learn about this....please help this novice....thanks for any help....
    Rooting gives you administrative rights to change things on your phone. It does not speed up your phone, it just gives you the ability to do so, by using different kernels and ROMs and letting you remove applications that your service provider installed. Also, there are apps available to speed up your processor that can be used once you are rooted. Unfortunately, I don't have a specific guide to point you to for beginners, maybe someone else does. Or just use Google. As far as finding out how to do it, XDA Developers website has a wealth of information on the subject. Careful though....they don't have a lot of patience with newbies sometimes. Do your own research before asking questions.

Sent from my HTC Inspire on the Straight Talk network from Walmart.....

Thanks will keep the novice issue in mind, but i have to learn somewhere and somehow. So again thanks

Sent from my WX445 using Android.net

Quote Originally Posted by texx3374 View Post
    Thanks will keep the novice issue in mind, but i have to learn somewhere and somehow. So again thanks

Sent from my WX445 using Android.net
    I'm kind of stubborn about figuring things out for myself and I was already pretty proficient with computers, so I never bothered to look for a novice guide. I just googled around for what I wanted and figured it out for myself. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    The actual act of rooting can, depending on the device, be very simple or unbelievably complex. I know nothing of the Citrus, but I remember when it came out z4root worked fine. However, don't void your warranty unless you're serious and you can do what you want/need to once you've rooted.
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Originally when I rooted my phone it was a lot more difficult to do. It wasn't as automated as it is now. I had to do terminal commands and make my SD card into a gold card. The gold card is probably the most problematic. Sometimes it will fail and you won't realize it until you're halfway through the rest of the rooting process then you have to start over. Now that process doesn't even involve the SD card. The longer a phone is out the better the root process gets. Some phones are pretty easy right away, others require a lot of work to root in the beginning.

Twitter
    fish1552
    I would stick to either the Android.net or DroidForums websites for guides on how to root. While the XDA website *does* have a wealth of information, it is VERY true that they jump on n00bs like sharks if they think they are being asked what they consider a stupid question. You don't have that worry here in the Android/Droid forums.
    The other beneficial reason for sticking to one of these forums is that all the Forum Foundry sites (DroidForums, Android.net, XoomForums, ChargeForums, ThunderboltForums, etc.) all have a Rescue Squad to help you out if you get stuck. And the regular members are PLENTY willing to help you too, because they were all there once too and don't forget that. (This forums Rescue Squad section is here: Rescue Squad Help)

Both this forum and DroidForums have a Citrus section you may want ot check out, although the DroidForums one has a lot more threads.

I downloaded the gingerbreak 1.2 and installed it but I dident root yet because idk what to do with a recovery or how to get one. I just need to kno wht to do once I click on the root button under gingerbreak app!?! Thank you

Optimus V

Rooting gives you admin access to your phone. You can delete core apps, improve your phones memory and install faster custom roms or custom os to enhance your phones improvement

Sent from my LT15i using Android.net

Ads