Want to Try 'Rooting' Again

This is a discussion on Want to Try 'Rooting' Again within the Android Rooting forums, part of the Android Development category; Earlier this year I had went through the process of rooting my HTC-EVO 4G, and came away from it quite successfully. All I had really ...

Thread: Want to Try 'Rooting' Again

Want to Try 'Rooting' Again

Earlier this year I had went through the process of rooting my HTC-EVO 4G, and came away from it quite successfully. All I had really wanted was the free Wifi-tethering, for my Ipad, and I did get that. A good while after that, I had received notification of an update for my phone, and (forgetting all about my phone being rooted, at that moment) I initiated the upgrading. I found that I could not complete that process, and that was when I re-focused myself on my phone being rooted - and that this might have been the reason for the unsuccessful upgrading. After that attempt I began experiencing a host of issues with my phone, and then tried to unroot it, so as to be able to visit the Sprint store to see what was going on. But I could not unroot my phone. I had the proper files, and followed the instructions to the 'T', but it just wasn't going to happen for me. I wonder if I had done something damaging to my phone's unrooting capabilities, but having had attempted that upgrade.

Well, it turned out that I had to pay the $100 deductable for another copy of that phone, and I would like to root this one. I will remember NOT to attempt upgrading, and want to know if there is any 'automatic firmware upgrading' that might be featured in my phone. If so, I want to be sure to turn it OFF.

Advanced thanks, to anyone who might be able to shed some light on this concern.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Have you tried a factory reset to see if that clears up the errors you've been having?

Do you remember how you rooted the phone in the first place?
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    Have you tried a factory reset to see if that clears up the errors you've been having?

Do you remember how you rooted the phone in the first place?
    Well, it happens that I have a replacement of my HTC-EVO 4G. The issues that I'd encountered took place with my previous copy.

As far as remembering how I had rooted that one is concerned, I have to admit that I do not. All that I DO know is that I had done it right, because of having no problems with the aftermath of the process - until I had attempted to upgrade my phone's firmware. Having free WIFI tethering, for my Ipad, is the only reason that I wish to root this current phone. I am just trying to ensure that I won't have an issue with un-rooting it, in the event of there being a need to visit the Sprint store behind some other issue that might crop up with the phone. And, as mentioned earlier, I will be certain NOT to update my firmware.

Your previous phone was what is called 'bricked' as you tried to install a software which was not compatible with your kernel, aka, the upgrade did not like the root. If there is an automatic upgrade option, all you need to do is go to settings, about phone, update settings at the top. If the automatic update option is there, make sure it is switched off. If you have no such option in your about phone settings, there is no automatic update, and rooting is safe.

Sent from my LT15i using Android.net

Software and kernal not being compatible is not the issue. First of all I would suggest not rooting this particular phone. Next, if you want wifi or internet just buy the cord to connect your ipad to the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by SLAG IT! View Post
    Software and kernal not being compatible is not the issue. First of all I would suggest not rooting this particular phone. Next, if you want wifi or internet just buy the cord to connect your ipad to the phone.
    Thanks.

If I had known about such a cord, I would have certainly bought it - and would not even have considered rooting my phone. If you would be so kind, please share information with me regarding just what cable it is that I would need to get. Also, should I be of the understanding that I would not incur any additional charges, from my carrier, regarding usage? I mean, would the pairing of my phone with my IPad - via such a tethering method - be to say that it would be the same as accessing the internet through my phone itself?

Advanced thanks.

Nathan

I cannot remember off the top of my head where I saw one of those cords. Have you considered a mobile broadband device? How much are you using your ipad? Are you just looking for a cheap easy fix? Help me understand this way I can better assist you.

Quote Originally Posted by SLAG IT! View Post
    I cannot remember off the top of my head where I saw one of those cords. Have you considered a mobile broadband device? How much are you using your ipad? Are you just looking for a cheap easy fix? Help me understand this way I can better assist you.
    Thanks, Slag.

One of my aunts-in-law has one of those mobile broadband devices, but I understand that the fee for that thing hovers around $70 per month. I surely can't afford that.

As far as how much I would be using the Ipad, I can say that it wouldn't be more than I would have been using my phone - by itself - for internet usage. I am a far-sighted individual who (even with corrective lenses) have a tough time reading the small print on my phone. That is the sole reason why I wished to be able to utilize my phone, for such aims, as the greater screen real estate would have been quite advantageous. My phone was rooted (I do have S-OFF), but I wasn't successful in getting the 2nd half of the procedure to go through. I don't remember, at this time, what that was called, but I have decided to find out how to undo what I DO have (get S-ON back ON my phone), and just let things be.

Tell her to get a tmobile broadband device. $39.99 a month for 2Gb highspeed data and after 2Gb it gets slowed down. Funny thing is their 2g is as fast as most 3g. Anyways, the Evo is a fickled device. It may work or may not. Xda is good place to look.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links