PDA

View Full Version : Help Now Please!!!!

Jester
02-16-2011, 12:28 AM
So i dl cm7 jumped the gun and hit ok before i could wipe or backed up. I'm now stuck on the X first boot screen, I tried everything i could think of. can't get past the X any help would be awsome. I have to go to work in 2 hrs. So please help

thank you

baseballfanz
02-16-2011, 12:31 AM
Reboot back into recovery and flash again.

Hold down trackball and power button plus vol down

Jester
02-16-2011, 12:34 AM
Sweet your awsome. I forgot to hold the vol down. :(

Thanks good sir.

gshine
02-16-2011, 06:21 PM
And what do I do after that? I've never had a problem and it's been a long time since I rooted. I'm having the same issue as the OP.

baseballfanz
02-16-2011, 06:44 PM
And what do I do after that? I've never had a problem and it's been a long time since I rooted. I'm having the same issue as the OP.

Once your are in the fastboot screen chose recovery, that will take you toyour recovery screen.
Flash rom again our restore your backup

gshine
02-16-2011, 06:49 PM
Got it thanks. Flashing again now.

michaelpagz
02-28-2011, 02:00 AM
okay. Hijacking this because I had the exact same issue but when I press recovery the only thing that happens is I get an exclamation point in a triangle with the little android next to it.

I am trying to get the 2.3.3 stock vanilla rom for the n1. I have almost no experience with this stuff so I'm not surprised that this happened.
I'm alittle panicked.

Thanks in advance.

danger-rat
02-28-2011, 02:24 AM
When you see the android and exclamation, press power and volume up together (power slightly before volume up). That will give you the recovery menu options...

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

michaelpagz
02-28-2011, 03:39 AM
Thanks, Danger. now, the next round. In recovery mode, do I choose "reboot system now", "apply sdcard:update.zip", "wipe data/factory reset", or "wipe cache partition".

I tried the apply sdcard:update.zip option and it said E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (no such file or directory)...

Sorry again for my ignorance on this stuff.

danger-rat
02-28-2011, 03:41 AM
What exactly are you trying to do?

michaelpagz
02-28-2011, 03:45 AM
I had CyanogenMod7 on my nexus one (how it came on craigslist) and I was attempting to get the stock android for it. when I attempted to install the rom through rom manager it just went into a bootloop and kept playing the nexus boot animation over and over.

So now I am trying to get back to the CyanogenMod7 backup which I am pretty sure I made successfully through rom manager also.

danger-rat
02-28-2011, 03:51 AM
Well, you have a stock recovery (android and exclamation), so you can't flash anything that way...

Easiest way to get to stock is to follow the unroot/restore guide in the link below, then load the updates one at once.

This will wipe all your data - do you care?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/index.php?title=Nexus_One/Guides_%26_Tutorials#Unroot_.2F_Restore_your_Nexus

Snickolaz
02-28-2011, 09:27 AM
But if you want everything stock and still have root access, they have a rom for that too. :rofl3:

[ROM] GRI40 Stock, Deodexed, rooted, busybox, battery %, TB alert 2/25/11 - xda-developers (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=714184)

That's what I've been using, works great! I would suggest you get "Stock Gingerbread OTA rooted with busybox." Because it has no extras from the stock and sounds exactly like you want it. Plus you only have to flash that image instead of making your way up from an older Froyo build.

danger-rat
02-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Yes, but right now, he has no recovery, and no working ROM. The only way to install anything other than passimg, is to unlock the bootloader...

iPeck
02-28-2011, 09:59 AM
But if you want everything stock and still have root access, they have a rom for that too. :rofl3:

[ROM] GRI40 Stock, Deodexed, rooted, busybox, battery %, TB alert 2/25/11 - xda-developers (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=714184)

That's what I've been using, works great! I would suggest you get "Stock Gingerbread OTA rooted with busybox." Because it has no extras from the stock and sounds exactly like you want it. Plus you only have to flash that image instead of making your way up from an older Froyo build.

Neat ! I just might try it ;)

michaelpagz
02-28-2011, 10:02 PM
Yikes. Well, I appreciate the help Danger, I think I'm going to take it to someone to get it going properly. I really don't know what I'm doing here. I tried following the instructions to get the stock rom going again but I was unsuccessful.

I do have another question though. If I were to get the stock rom back on it, will I get OTA updates from htc the same way I would if it was not rooted?

Thanks again for all the help.

danger-rat
03-01-2011, 12:26 AM
Yes, once you put the stock image back on, it will pretty much be like all the other stock phones out there...

It's really easy to do. You just put a file on your SD card, then hold volume down while powering up the phone.

If you wanna give it a shot, download the file from the link below, rename it to passimg.zip, and place it on your SD card (not in any folder). Hold volume down and power to boot the phone, and the phone will do the rest...

Here's the file:
http://www.mediafire.com/?dxwh5l4b5ygh6nf

michaelpagz
03-01-2011, 12:36 AM
I have tried the PASSIMG.zip way, and it won't read the images in the file. I think the problem I'm running into is that it has a later version of hboot... .35 I think, instead of .33.

I don't know how to downgrade hboot. If its not too hard I will give it a shot.

Also, it might be because I have S-on instead of S-off. I don't know how to change that either. I read it at another message board.

danger-rat
03-01-2011, 12:59 AM
Downgrading the hboot can be a pain, or at least finding the files can be...

Only other option I can suggest is to unlock the bootloader, which is very easy, but some people don't feel comfortable with it...

michaelpagz
03-01-2011, 01:06 AM
If its easy enough for me not to brick it, I'd be happy to try.

Will there be any other issues because the bootloader is unlocked?

If not, I will definitely give it a shot.
Also, when I turn the phone on there is a little unlocked icon at the bottom of the screen. Not sure if that means its already done or not.

danger-rat
03-01-2011, 01:13 AM
That means your bootloader is already unlocked. Go download a recovery image, but not Clockwork 3.x

Next, go look at the guide I wrote on how to set up the SDK.
http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/nexus-one-development-hacking/10940-simple-sdk-setup-manual-root-guide-windows.html

Once you have the SDK set up, put the recovery image in the same folder as the SDK tools, connect with fastboot and type:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

(where recovery.img is the name of the recovery image you have)

michaelpagz
03-01-2011, 02:27 AM
Okay. Exciting turn of events. I did not do any of that... but still somehow... when I turned on my phone, this time android 2.2 is on it! it says build frf91.

Not sure what the deal is but I am not getting any system updates. Should I be? I did the *#*#checkin#*#* thing and it was successful but still no updates. Should I be worried that I can't get OTAs? Is there a way I can check?

danger-rat
03-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Well, that's interesting...
You should get the updates, but it may take a while, since you're on an older version.

You can try updating manually.
Just download the file I suggested for the passimg method, rename it to update.zip and place on your sd (not in any folder). Boot into recovery, and apply update.zip...

michaelpagz
03-01-2011, 12:03 PM
well. I did that and when it I pressed recovery it restarted and then an exclamation point came up. I don't really know what to do from there.

still no updates though. So do I have to go from frf91 to frf83 or can I jump to the latest froyo and see if I get the gingerbread ota update from there?

danger-rat
03-01-2011, 12:40 PM
When you get to the android and exclamation, you need to press peer and volume up together (power just before volume up). That will show the menu, where you can select to install update.zip

You still need to go from FRF91 to FRG33, to FRG83, to FRG83D, to FRG83G, and finally to Gingerbread...

I have all the files, so I can give you links (or just Google "passion" and the file you want like FRG33 to FRG83).

michaelpagz
03-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Okay. I got there and it says theres no signature verification and aborted. Also installed Tom manager and it says this rom can't get otas.

danger-rat
03-01-2011, 12:57 PM
I was half anticipating that, I suspect you were not on CM7 like you said, but were on CM6...

Can you open terminal emulator (download from market if you don't already have it). Type in "su" without the quotes, and let me know what happens?

michaelpagz
03-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Permission denied.

danger-rat
03-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Do you have the Superuser app in your app drawer?

michaelpagz
03-01-2011, 01:30 PM
I did not. But I do now q

michaelpagz
03-01-2011, 01:33 PM
I did not. I installed it.

Just to make sure I know what we're trying to do. I want to get the phone as close to a regular unrooted nexus one with regular official ota updates as possible.

I really appreciate the support by the way.

danger-rat
03-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Wierd...
I've no idea how you got to FRF91, since it's not CM7, and none of the files we've discussed.

I'm gonna ask you to try the passimg thing again. I'm just uploading a file that I've used many times, so I know it's good...

michaelpagz
03-01-2011, 01:49 PM
I haven't the slightest idea. I know that before it was cyanogenmod 7, then I tried to install the stock android via rom manager and it just bootlooped the nexus animation. After I tried the passimg method and it didnt work, I wiped the phone and cache and then when I rebooted it was stock android 2.2 frf91.

Thats where I'm at now. I'm really glad it went to stock android but now I just want the updates so I can get to gingerbread and hopefully it will unroot my phone in the process.

danger-rat
03-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Ahhhhh, now I get it.
You flashed the stock FRF91 from ROM manager...

Well you could wait for the update, but it's probably gonna take a while.
I'm having problems uploading the file, so bear with me, and we can try the passimg again...

danger-rat
03-01-2011, 02:50 PM
OK, I can't get this file to upload from my phone - keeps crashing at 99%...

If you can wait until tonight, I'll upload from home.

Another option would be to set up the sdk as I suggested earlier, and make sure you have fastboot connection. Then you can flash a recovery via fastboot, and use the recovery to install the almost stock rooted rom suggested earlier...

If you wanna go this route, I'll walk you through it...

michaelpagz
03-01-2011, 04:10 PM
I can wait. Thanks again.

danger-rat
03-01-2011, 04:21 PM
OK, here's a link.
Download and try the passimg thing...

http://db.tt/1Swvw7Z

danger-rat
03-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Couldn't get the link to work (random Tapatalk problem):
http://db.tt/1Swvw7Z

michaelpagz
03-02-2011, 09:05 AM
Okay thanks. And This is an update.zip or passimg.zip?

danger-rat
03-02-2011, 09:08 AM
Passimg

michaelpagz
03-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Well... I tried the passimg method with your file. in the bootloader it reads the components of the zip and says "no image!" for each file. I have no idea why this would be.

Update: I GOT IT!!!!

michaelpagz
03-02-2011, 04:22 PM
I formatted the sd card and did it... upgrading to gingerbread now. thank you so much for your help. :nexusx:

ps. a pleasant surprise is that, for whatever reason, the first update after this image (frg33) the ota is for gingerbread. Thought I would have to manually update each individual update.

danger-rat
03-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Great news!!! :)