PDA

View Full Version : Please help a n00b out.

mwhit42
02-17-2011, 08:46 PM
Please help me. I have had my Nexus One for nearly a year now, bought it online with the 2-year T-mobile contract. Until recently, I have had very few major problems.

But now I am having serious issues with storage. The Nexus's internal storage is awful! I have an 16gb sd card, and App2SD, which has moved as many of my apps over to the SD card as possible. But I am still running out of space (or rather, running below the 20mb limit) daily! I keep missing out on important text messages concerning my business whenever I accidentally dip below the 20mb mark. I have uninstalled all but about 20 apps that remain on the internal storage, and I really really need the 20 that are left.

So what I'm asking is - what are my options? I've heard that "rooting" your phone can give you unlimited storage or something like that? Is that a good idea? And how to I go about doing it? Or is there another possible way to fix my internal storage woes?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me! :greendroid:

danger-rat
02-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Rooting will allow you to run an apps2ext script, which is more efficient at running apps from the sd. An added bonus with the ext route is that you can also move your dalvik to sd, which is a huge improvement...

Read this, then ask questions:
http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/nexus-one-development-hacking/10940-simple-sdk-setup-manual-root-guide-windows.html

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

danger-rat
02-17-2011, 09:12 PM
Link didn't work...
http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/nexus-one-development-hacking/10940-simple-sdk-setup-manual-root-guide-windows.html

mwhit42
02-17-2011, 10:22 PM
Flashing with ClockworkMod Recovery right now....this is the 2nd attempt...something about permissions failed the first time. We'll see if it works on attempt 2.

Thanks for your help, Danger-Rat, your instructions have been perfect so far!

danger-rat
02-17-2011, 10:25 PM
No worries...
Stay away from Clockwork Recovery 3.x

You can flash one of the older versions thought the Alternate Recoveries available with ROM Manager...

mwhit42
02-17-2011, 10:25 PM
OK, ClockworkMod recovery successfully flashed. Now what?

danger-rat
02-17-2011, 10:44 PM
Backup your apps and settings (Titanium, or similar)
Backup your ROM (known as a nandroid, available via recovery our ROM Manager)

Don't use Clockwork 3.x

mwhit42
02-17-2011, 10:47 PM
Damn, wish I woulda saw that "Don't flash clockwork 3.x" before I flashed it.

danger-rat
02-17-2011, 10:49 PM
Flashing it isn't the problem, but using it is... xD

Just flash an older version.

mwhit42
02-17-2011, 10:53 PM
Manage to flash Clockwork 2.5, just backed up current ROM.

danger-rat
02-17-2011, 10:56 PM
In order for a2ext to work, you need to create an ext partition on your sd card. This will erase apk data on your card, so back everything on your sd up to your pc first...

mwhit42
02-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Holy crap...1.31gb...that's a lot of stuff. Backing up now.

mwhit42
02-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Backup of SD card to PC complete. To create an ext partition on my SD card, can I do this through ROM manager?

danger-rat
02-18-2011, 09:06 AM
Yes, or you can do it via recovery...

mwhit42
02-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Ok, partitioned SD card, then I wiped data, then I installed Cyanogen. Everything seems to be working fine...can now move apps to sd card and back with ease...awesome!! Thanks for your help!

danger-rat
02-18-2011, 04:14 PM
In order to get any real advantage from the ext partition, you need to install an a2ext script. My recommendation is Darktremors...

Here's a link to the file:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11996227/dtapps2sd-2.7.5.2-alt-signed.zip

Just flash through recovery, reboot, then open Terminal Emulator on your phone and type the following commands:

su
cd system/bin
a2sd cachesdreset

This will move your dalvik to SD, and give you about 80mb more space.
You probably also want to move all your installed apps to the ext partition, so again in Terminal Emulator, type in the following:

su
cd system/bin
a2sd reinstall

mwhit42
02-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Cool. Worked perfectly. Now I have shat tons of free space! Thanks.

fahdbhatti
02-21-2011, 03:35 PM

Don't use Clockwork 3.x

what's wrong with the Clockwork 3.x recovery i'm new so i just wanted to know for information... i used it and the only thing i noticed was that it didn't sticked on my phone every time i rebooted it disappeared then i had to flash it again...

other that this is there any possible way to backup all the data and applications (just like Titanium Backup does on a rooted phone) on an unrooted phone, or rooting is the only option....

danger-rat
02-21-2011, 03:49 PM
A few people, myself included, suspect it has corrupted a few partitions. It's a real pain if your ext position gets screwed. Your phone won't work if your internal partitions get screwed...

kdizzle781
02-21-2011, 09:37 PM

Don't use Clockwork 3.x

what's wrong with the Clockwork 3.x recovery i'm new so i just wanted to know for information... i used it and the only thing i noticed was that it didn't sticked on my phone every time i rebooted it disappeared then i had to flash it again...

other that this is there any possible way to backup all the data and applications (just like Titanium Backup does on a rooted phone) on an unrooted phone, or rooting is the only option....

I was wondering why my recovery kept on disappearing every time i reboot too until i found this...

"That is because you still have a stock recovery. You need to flash a custom recovery and make sure you delete or rename these two files (/system/etc/install-recovery.sh and /system/recovery-from-boot.p) before you reboot your device, otherwise, your custom recovery image will get over-written by the stock recovery after every reboot."

1st option: Change the file names so they don't overwrite clockwork
2nd option: Flash the ROM (i.e. cyanogen) since i flashed to cyanogen it has remained my custom recovery

As far as backing up your data, easiest way is to root use Titanium and then make a nandroid backup from your custom recovery

fahdbhatti
02-22-2011, 02:11 AM
Thanks a lot for helping kdizzle781 :)

fahdbhatti
02-22-2011, 05:11 AM

Don't use Clockwork 3.x

I was wondering why my recovery kept on disappearing every time i reboot too until i found this...

"That is because you still have a stock recovery. You need to flash a custom recovery and make sure you delete or rename these two files (/system/etc/install-recovery.sh and /system/recovery-from-boot.p) before you reboot your device, otherwise, your custom recovery image will get over-written by the stock recovery after every reboot."

2nd option: Flash the ROM (i.e. cyanogen) since i flashed to cyanogen it has remained my custom recovery

As far as backing up your data, easiest way is to root use Titanium and then make a nandroid backup from your custom recovery

I flashed the cyanogen mod but still clockwork recovery disappeared. I haven't tried renaming those files you said before but I think that they will definitely solve this problem. :)

kdizzle781
02-22-2011, 10:04 PM

I flashed the cyanogen mod but still clockwork recovery disappeared. I haven't tried renaming those files you said before but I think that they will definitely solve this problem. :)

My recommendation would be to open Rom Manager, and chose to "Flash alternate Recovery"

This will flash "Amon_Ra's Recovery" which is almost exactly like Clockwork and just as easy to use (I believe it is made by Cyanogen, could be wrong tho)

The only main difference is that you can't use any of Rom Managers perks (download rom, check for rom updates, install from QR Code, manage and restore backups, backup current rom... etc.)

You can just do all of that from within the recovery.

Since I "Flashed alternate recovery" from within Rom Manager I have never had another issue getting into Ra Recovery.

Good Luck!

fahdbhatti
02-23-2011, 01:37 AM
Thanks again Kdizzle781