PDA

View Full Version : Battery drains in 5 hrs stays warm -very hot while charging

jeremy_nexusone
05-07-2011, 02:35 PM
hey all you diagnostic studs!

Earlier this week my nexus1 started battery lost power rather quickly. At the time, I was listening to Slacker Radio, the batterty got real low, it then went down to 0 and shut the phone off.

I turned the phone on and it shut off again (battery too low). I then turned it on again and immediately put the usb charger on. It took a very long time to charge just to about 50% It got pretty warm. Ever since then, the phone is always warm to hot and the battery dies within 4-5 hrs.

Now, when I charge with wall charger, it charges ok, but takes a long time and get hot.

I took the battery out and plugged the usb charger in. The light flashes orange then, green real fast every 2 seconds. I am curious if that means anything???

I am guessing my battery is fried but not sure.

The phone stays pretty warm almost all time.

The only things that are running are:
settings
avg antivirus
COL reminder
Remind Me
Android Market
Maps (this is now always running, if I shut it down it comes back a few minutes later, not sure if this is normal)
Android Keyboard

Do you guys think I have software problem, battery problem or worse a phone problem? Any help would be much appreciated. I can repay you with good automotive advice (if wanted:)

danger-rat
05-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Sounds like the battery is toast.
You could try checking the battery health with a market app? I remember finding a great app a few months back, but I'm struggling to remember what it is...

alphawave7
05-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Sounds like the battery is toast.
You could try checking the battery health with a market app? I remember finding a great app a few months back, but I'm struggling to remember what it is...

I've been impressed with Battery Doctor:

https://market.android.com/details?id=net.lepeng.batterydoctor&feature=search_result
:bike4_smilie:

jeremy_nexusone
05-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Just to add more info to this current issue I am having...
T mobile sent me a text stating, "I used over 5GB of data this month. Your data speed has been reduced fot the rest of the billing cylce per the terms of your plan."

**(I had recently tweaked my plan just before this issue with the battery draining and being hot)

Whenever I look at my phone it is always shows "3G" I know I can switch to "2G" for better battery life but, (I never had this issue before).

Is there anything that TMobile has changed on their end of things that might be draining the battery quicker?

Thanks, Jeremy

On a side note, the battery stays good if the data is turned off.

danger-rat
05-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Sounds like something is using a lot of data...

Download Network Counter by mapeapps, and monitor it to see what's using your data.

You could also go to the Accounts & Sync settings, and make sure Music Sync is disabled in your Google account...

jeremy_nexusone
05-09-2011, 08:37 PM
I can check out that app and I'll see what it tells me.

Every time I check running apps, "Maps" seem to be running.

Background Data was also "checked" I assume that is normal though, as I get emails and whatever else needs the internet.

Are there any other settings, I should be looking at?

Thanks for your help, your generousity will not go overlooked.

jeremy_nexusone
05-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Danger, yeah I downloaded that app...It tells me I TRANSMITTED over 466 MB.

I am wondering if, I have a setting mixed on my nexus???

This thing just seems to be always downloading and uploading?

Thnks, Jeremy

danger-rat
05-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Does it say that Maps is doing all the up/downloading?

jeremy_nexusone
05-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Maps is only responsible for 10.5 kb in and 1.8kb out
com.google.process.gapps says 290kb in and 86 kb out.

danger-rat
05-10-2011, 09:41 PM
So what's giving you the MB's?

jeremy_nexusone
05-11-2011, 05:07 PM
This is where most of the data is going.
-does this sound like a lot?

For the last 2 days...
com.google.process.gapps 290kb in 86 kb out
android 84 kb in 2 kb out
network counter 132kb in 13 kb out
settings 84kb in 2kb out
maps 10.59 kb in 2 kb out
antivirus avg 44kb in 7kb out
brouser 1.03 mb in 220kb out
yahoo mail 91 kb in 221 kb out
email 323kb in 751mb out
This is about 334 MB from my cell carrier & 3 GB from wi-fi total in the last 2 days.

I was reading the tread about the latest gingerbread update ( I recently updated to the 2.3.4 -when I thought about it, that was around the same time I had issues).

I switched the wifi to "never sleep" and the phone battery lasted (barely) through the night. It is only slightly better

The phone is always on showing 3G, even when I don't really have anything running. This was never the case before.

Also on a side note. my notification changed to a purple light the other day and now it seems to be back to white? -What?

Is there a way I could clean swipe my phone? The only real thing I would lose is old text coversations. I have about 500 contacts w/ gmail contact (I assume that wouldn't be a big deal?

Thanks for your help.

40ftcobb
05-11-2011, 05:33 PM
You could do a factory reset,that would wipe all data from your phone but it won't help with your battery or data issues.I've notice similar issues with my n1 since the update

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

40ftcobb
05-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Minus the warm battery

jeremy_nexusone
05-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Is there a way to go back to my last version? Prob, not huh?

40ftcobb
05-12-2011, 12:01 AM
If you can find the 2.3.3 passimg download that to your SD card(not in any foldering)
Then go through fastboot and install that,the only on I have is for 2.2,but I'm not a fan of gingerbread so I just use it as backup if rom flashing goes wrong

jeremy_nexusone
05-12-2011, 10:29 PM
where do I find that???

40ftcobb
05-12-2011, 10:52 PM
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=772591

Right here,you know how to install it?

40ftcobb
05-12-2011, 11:12 PM
This link is for the passimg for 2.2