PDA

View Full Version : updating individual native nexus s apps?

gkrawiec
05-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Hi, got a question.
I have a nexus s. It updated automatically to 2.3.4 the day after I bought it.
It comes with a bunch (not all) the native google apps. Like maps, and search, etc.
So today there is a new update for Google Maps, but not the core OS.
How do I get this update? There is no manual way to do it from the phone. Do I have to wait for an update? I assume the market wont tell me there is an update since it doesnt even know I have it (it doesnt say "installed')
What is the proper way to manage individual native app updates?
thanks.
-gk

danger-rat
05-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Have you tried downloading from the Market?

gkrawiec
05-26-2011, 08:46 PM
No, i haven't tried...I wanted to see if there is a "native" way to do it. Requiring me to REdownload them from the market is a bit unintuitive. I assumed google thought this one out.
Maybe not....anybody out there know the official answer?
thanks.

N1David
05-27-2011, 08:08 AM
The market is what you use to update the native apps as well as the other apps you have downloaded from the market.

gkrawiec
05-27-2011, 08:10 AM
So I have to go to the market and re-download each of the native apps so that the market is now aware i have them? seems odd, but I will try.
thanks.

Nobby
05-27-2011, 02:26 PM
The Native apps are side loaded onto the device when the firmware is flashed, the market at this point is not activated and so has no idea what is on the phone and what is not. Once you buy and activate the phone via Gmail account the market activates and from that point now detects apps installed wither through its market or side loaded.

Its almost like me slipping something into your pocket when you are not looking, how are you supposed to know that it is there?

anz195
05-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Native apps most of the time will have automatic update ON so you don't have to do anything. Market constantly keeps checking your version of app and it will either update application or will give you a message that updates are available.

gkrawiec
05-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Hi again. So I checked. According to the market the sideloaded apps where not installed. So i clicked on install. Now the market says they are installed, yet doesnt seem to be updating. Maps for example is still stuck at 5.2.1 and I believe 5.5 is out already.
So how can I force update?
thanks.

danger-rat
05-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Uninstall, reboot, reinstall...

gkrawiec
05-28-2011, 01:10 PM
thanks for the suggestion, but I dont see how to uninstall the maps application. All others have an uninstall option. Maps, doesnt.
anything else i can try?

N1David
05-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Your maps app should have an "uninstall updates" option.

gkrawiec
05-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Under Maps in the manage apps, there is no such option. There is Force stop and the button next to it says Cancel in gray instead of uninstall. Should I look somewhere else for uninstall updates? It doesnt show as a My Download in the market app.

danger-rat
05-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Update option isn't available for system apps. Google moved a lot of apps to data so that people wouldn't have this issue, but it looks like they may not have done it in this case...

You could try deleting data from Google Services Framework, then delete cache from the market and reboot...

gkrawiec
05-28-2011, 01:48 PM
I think my problem is related to my location/network based on this thread i found.

Can't upgrade Google Maps application on my Nexus S - Android Market Help (http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Android+Market/thread?tid=7f78c32ac0ebb12e&hl=en)

its a nexus s from best buy...i dont see why google should care what network i am on.

gkrawiec
06-18-2011, 07:00 PM
eventually it updated on its own. took a couple of weeks for the first update (from release), and one day from release on latest update...who knows how google manages this...