PDA

View Full Version : Saving apps to the phone from a computer

Shamal_nexusone
06-12-2011, 04:58 PM
I cannot locate files ( apps ) I've saved to my phone from my computer via the USB cable? Can someone direct me to information on data and file storage. Files go the other way easily.
Thank you for your help,

danger-rat
06-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Do you mean apps that you have installed, our apps that you have backed up to the SD?

rugmankc
06-12-2011, 10:36 PM
If I understand you, you need a file manager program like Linda Manager from Market. Then you can browse with it to the folders you put the apps/files into from your computer.

There are other File Manager apps like Astro and ES File Mgr, I still like Linda Manager

Shamal_nexusone
06-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks for both replies. That is exactly what I was looking for; I now realize i need a program to manage files, and I guess I can create folders etc to organize things. I'm pretty good with computers, but this is a whole new world!

rugmankc
06-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Your welcome, just takes time

The advantage of Astro is that it shows md5 info under details whereas Linda won't. Good for checking for bad dl's. Linda is smoother or I have just gotten use to it.

Back your sd card up regularly, it will get botched on occasion if you are flashing roms

Shamal_nexusone
06-12-2011, 10:48 PM
I have not found this card yet, I can find the files etc on the phones drive, but I have not seen a card anywhere?

rugmankc
06-12-2011, 10:54 PM
What file manager program are you using

I just open Linda Manager and it lists

My Phone
SD Card (Tap on SD Card and it will list it's folders/files/zips etc--whatever you put on it)
Downloads
Gallery

etc

You need to download a File Manager from the Market--Recommend Linda to start

If you install Astro it opens right to SD Card

You will see at top of screen /sdcard

I assume you are copying your stuff from pc to sd card thru usb cable as mentioned

This is a little differnet than pc xfers

Shamal_nexusone
06-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Thank for your reply: I was using my computer to go into the phones directory.
Thank you for your help on this, I just bought and loaded the Astro program now, and I can find it under apps in the settings, but I have no clue as to how to open it. There is no icon in the main programs window?

rugmankc
06-12-2011, 11:03 PM
You can tap on your small app drawer icon in bottom dock of phone screen and find it alphabetically. Then tap on it and open

Or, to put it in Homescreen--longpress on screen were you want it and select shortcuts/applications and tap on it. It will now be on your homescreen.

When open you can browse all items on the sdcard and then tap on a folder to see inside then longpress on item to see your options

Make sure you have sdcard backup before playing around too much

rugmankc
06-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Gotta call it a nite--backups are key here just like Acronis bu's on a pc

Don't know if you are rooted--if so do a nandroid of phone asap if not get MyBackUp Pro from market and backup with it. It is not an image backup, but as good as you get not being rooted. If you use google for contacts/mail no need to bu them. They'll be restored when you sign back in after a phone issue with lost data etc

Shamal_nexusone
06-12-2011, 11:08 PM
My 17 year old son is here helping me and we are having a problem with this. We can find the app as you say, but the only option available when we tap on it, is to uninstall it, and it does not come up under apps in the shortcut to widgets file ( to set it on the desktop).
Thank you for all your help I feel like I'm asking idiotic questions. This is our 1st Android product.

DudeRandom21
06-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Also if you want to put it on your home screen you can open up your app drawer and long press on the app then just drop it where ever you like on your home screen I find this easier than checking through the list of apps to create shortcuts especially when you have allot of apps but over all it's a personal opinion.

DudeRandom21
06-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Ok well at the bottom of the screen there should be a little dock bar with 3 little icons the one on the left should be a phone to represent the phone app, the one on the right should be a planet which represents the browser and in the middle there should be a few little squares tap the little squares. After that you should get a screen with all your apps in alphabetical order look for what ever file manager you downloaded then either tap it to open it or long press it to make an icon on your home screen.

Shamal_nexusone
06-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Thank you for the help:
OK that's great, but how do we actually open this program? When we press on all these apps, we get a similar screen that shows the characteristics of the apps, and a choice to uninstall, all other options are ghosted out, unless that app loads automatically when the phone starts. We don't get a program to open ??

DudeRandom21
06-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Read what I wrought one post up and you should be able to open the app.

rugmankc
06-12-2011, 11:15 PM
I am confused, Astro is for file mgt, apps are not files. You run the app/clear cachand data/ or uninstall it.

Under Settings/Applications/Manage Apps are you app choices

rugmankc
06-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Sorry Dude, we are overlapping a little--didn't see you dock post

I gotta hit the sack--leave it to you guys for now

Shamal_nexusone
06-12-2011, 11:20 PM
OK guys I'm using the wrong terminology. We are opening the right location as you indicate, we have a long list of files there, Astro Pro is there, when we tap it we get the same thing as the others give us, a basic screen showing file size, storage, choice to uninstall, and cache info, defaults etc. No actual program opens like Google web search etc and the other programs on the main screen. I feel like a dunce, something doesn't add up here?
Many thanks for your time !

DudeRandom21
06-12-2011, 11:23 PM
This is very strange :think: when you try and tap any other app on this page what do you get as a screen?

Shamal_nexusone
06-12-2011, 11:28 PM
It doesn't seem to be in the applications list.

Shamal_nexusone
06-12-2011, 11:30 PM
When we tap we get whatever that program is, calculator, Google search page etc, but this Astro Pro is not there, just in the manage apps area, where it appears on the list.
Thank you for all this.

DudeRandom21
06-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Just for the fun of it try uninstalling and reinstalling it.

rugmankc
06-12-2011, 11:33 PM
This is too interesting :)

It would help to know what you are trying to do, exactly by file name

Again you have apps that run programs or folders with files/zips/images etc

You are seeing what you are suppose to with Astro

Where did you put the files/apps on your phone when you xferred them from your pc and exactly what were they

Try a search with Asro--top right of Astro screen

rugmankc
06-12-2011, 11:37 PM
You won't see Astro listed using the astro app--you are already in it

DudeRandom21
06-12-2011, 11:38 PM
Ok now I'm the one who is lost can you open and get into astro?

rugmankc
06-12-2011, 11:45 PM
We need to know what he is attempting to accomplish--Astro app won't show using Astro

Maybe he needs to use root explorer to better browse phone--more pc like

Shamal_nexusone
06-12-2011, 11:45 PM
No I cannot open the Astro app, all other apps work. I used my pc to get items from the phone to the pc, photos etc, before I had any file mgmt software on the phone, because I did not realize I needed an app to do that. I have placed apps on the phone using the pc, but the phone cannot see them, for obvious reasons to me , now.
I've uninstalled Astro pro, now I'm trying to find it to get it back, I deleted the email, back to you shortly. I realize now some is clearly not working as it is supposed to, the process you are describing is not occurring on this phone, all other intsructions and directions are.
many thanks

DudeRandom21
06-12-2011, 11:48 PM
Ok that's what I thought so now how about just instead of reinstalling astro just encase there is something weird between your phone and astro try estrong (ES file explorer) just go download it from the market and see if this one opens correctly.

Shamal_nexusone
06-12-2011, 11:51 PM
We did just that as you describe, it downloaded ( we think ) and we got this error message
A network error has occurred, Retry or cancel and go back to the previous screen. We clicked on Retry.
OK it's back in the phone with exactly the same issues as described.
Thank you for all your time and effort, we don't have a clue what to do?!
Rugmankc asked about rooting, we are certain we've not done that, although I've read about it many times in this forum. We are not sure if we need to do that?

DudeRandom21
06-12-2011, 11:54 PM
That just means that your not in connection with the Google server at the moment so just give it a minute or two it should work eventually it's really not an issue. Anyway for me this is it tonight cause I'm beat so sorry guys I'll offer some more help tomorrow if you don't already have it sorted out.

Shamal_nexusone
06-12-2011, 11:59 PM
Thank you for everything, much appreciated !! I amended my post above to give you an update, I'm sure we'll be back at this tomorrow !
Take care

rugmankc
06-13-2011, 12:03 AM
Me too--will be available later tomorrow

If you had no other other problems with Market downloads before--just temporary lack of connection

If you mounted your phone thru usb--your files should be on root of sdcard unless they are not being seen by phone for some reason

Assume you are not rooted--I am, so some things may not be the same as on my phone--and may hinder my help

If you have Market dl issues go into settings/apps/manage apps/all--find Market and clear cache and data then go back to homescreen and reopen Market

rugmankc
06-13-2011, 12:06 AM
We did just that as you describe, it downloaded ( we think ) and we got this error message
A network error has occurred, Retry or cancel and go back to the previous screen. We clicked on Retry.
OK it's back in the phone with exactly the same issues as described.
Thank you for all your time and effort, we don't have a clue what to do?!
Rugmankc asked about rooting, we are certain we've not done that, although I've read about it many times in this forum. We are not sure if we need to do that?

You don't need to and need to get very up on phone itself first--rooting in of itself is a challenge

Have a good nite

Shamal_nexusone
06-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Thank you for your last post, I accomplished the market task you suggested, clearing the cache. I noticed there are 3 apps in there, including the much elusive Astro Pro. I went back to the main page clicked on Market which was a blank screen, accepted the button and got some thumbnails of apps which I know nothing about.
I will wait for further posts. It seems like ( in computer talk) the application is unable to post a shortcut to the desktop for the program.exe file, in order to open the program / app. Does this make sense to anyone? I downloaded an app called Inkpad and it works perfectly, is located in the main menu as it's shortcut and opens and works properly.
I hope the cold light of Monday morning would shed some rays on this perplexing issue,, sheeesh!
Thanks to everyone!

rugmankc
06-13-2011, 12:28 PM
I am confused on your terminology in describing why you can't open the app

When you open Market there is a My App link to show apps on phone you dl'd from market. The list below it is ones to get if you want them

How did inkpad get to your homescreens and work

You should find downloaded or installed apps my pressing the center icon (mine is a white square) (your app drawer) in the lower dock on main phone screen as described by Dude

I put the apps on my screens as I described in earlier post, however you can just tap on app in app drawer to open it

Not sure why this isn't working

Where did you get phone from and can you go to a carrier store and show them issue--hard for me to understand why it is not working

I know there is a different terminology here and the phone don't work like a pc--but eyes on by someone may help

Shamal_nexusone
06-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Ok Thanks Rugman: I'm very sorry about the poor terminology, I'm kinda handy with computers, and am attempting to run and discuss this phone the same way!
When I open the Market icon on the desktop, I get a green topped screen that shows a changing series of apps, below that is a list, which the app must get on it's own, I have not asked for them. I click on My apps, to the right, and in there are 4, Google Maps, Astro, Inkpad and Youtube, all of which I think I downloaded via the phone wireless. The only one which does not work is this Astro program, which as mentioned I uninstalled and reinstalled from the developers web site, last night, using my computer to send a Gmail link to my phone. It still does not work, but as mentioned shows here, under the application manger tab in settings. In that location there are 3 apps, Astro, Inkpad and Market, so I'm assuming some apps don't appear in there because they are Google specific?

Shamal_nexusone
06-13-2011, 01:04 PM
I simply downloaded Inkpad, because I needed to make a few notes in the phone, and could not figure out if there was a word processor on board. I think it put itself on the homescreen, I don't know how to put it there manually. That was done before this Astro install attempt. One last thought: Is there some application that puts a shortcut to the home screen for each app that is downloaded, like a pc install that asks for a shortcut to be put on the desktop??
When I bought the phone, the guy at the kiosk did not know much more than me about the phone,,, really. My 17 year old is wicked smart and can't figure this out, he has read all these emails too. He runs a Blackberry, this is all new to him. I gonna find a Nexus user and show this issue. We believe otherwise, the device is working perfectly.
Thanks you so much for all your time, will reply when solution found.

rugmankc
06-13-2011, 01:54 PM
The list is apps you can buy or dl, some are free. You can also filter by selecting Apps/Games. The list on the main screen are featured apps. Tap on the Apps icon above the list on left side and you will get a lot of choices. Just a learning curve with a touchscreen as opposed to mouse.

My apps is only what you downloaded from market

Don't worry about terminology, takes awhile. I use to google them to figure it out.

Go to Menu/Settings/Applications and check the Unknown souces box, you need that checked to dl apps other than from the market--maybe your Astro issue. The basic Astro is free thru the market. On the Market main screen at top is search box to find apps

Blackberry and Andoid are very different--had BB's for many years

No wordprocessor unless you buy one like docs to go

I like AKNotepad from Market--it exports notes to sdcard and you can import. Combined with Catch it becomes auto syncing to their cloud and available on line to see.

Did you not try my method of putting apps on your phones homecreens.

Longpress on a blank area of screen you want app on
When white screen comes up, tap on shortcuts
then Applications
scroll down list and tap on app you want to put on screen
it will appear on screen
you can open and use it from there by tapping on it

If you longpress on an app on screen and don't take finger off of it you can move it to another location on that screen

When you get your screens set you can use MyBackUp Pro from Market to backup call logs/homescreens/settings/playlists etc. Just don't do calendar and gmail since that will sync auto when you sign in

Shamal_nexusone
06-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the notes. I have the Unknown Sources checked, We did that right away when we got the phone.
The longpress blank screen to bring up Add to Home Screen menu / Shortcuts, does not have the Astro in the apps list, again another confirmation of this issue we are struggling with.

rugmankc
06-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Uninstall the Astro you have thru settings/applications/manage applications/all

Then redownload thru the market getting the free app

when you open market just use the search tool at top and type in astro

it will list the apps and get the free one for now

Shamal_nexusone
06-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Well that was easy, installed and works perfectly? Guess I should not have bought the Pro version? Sheesh ! I can see all the folders etc:) now !!
Many thanks for all you effort and tenacity, it's much appreciated !!
All the Best !!:):)

rugmankc
06-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Glad you got it and ask any time on operating tips, just takes time.

Do recommend MyBackUP Pro as mentioned and also backing up sdcard to pc

One thought on Pro version not working: Sometimes you need to get the free app then buy the Pro app which is only the Liscense Key

You may just have installed the Liscesne key and without the free version there was actually no app installed--ask developer about it

No, I checked--you did buy only the key--verify it by going to market and tapping on the 3.99 Astro app--it will say key version

So, if you have the free app and the key on phone you have the paid version

Try to get all apps thru market not web

Good Luck

Ken

Shamal_nexusone
06-13-2011, 04:05 PM
You've been a great help, everything is making sense now, and I will use the phone as per your instructions. I was foolish to think it was better to use the pc and then transfer. I now realize that Astro wants a download and install of the free app, after running the app once, it goes back out to find my purchase and offers it as a further install. That is the correct order as you deduced !!
I've been a firm believer in back ups for over 20 years on pc's, kept things running smoothly on all our machines and no lost data. I reload op systems from an image to get a fresh start on tired machines. That's how I originally learned drive navigation and stumbled while trying to load an Android phone !! In my mind, if I had the app stored on the pc, and something went wrong on the phone, I could get it back with a USB cord, anytime.
Will get the apps you recommend, and start storing images, if that's what they are, right away.
Thanks for the patience with my ignorance and staying with the issue.

Take Care,
Albie

rugmankc
06-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Your quite welcome

MyBackUp Pro will do data and apps, two separate backups to sdcard

If you do get it and use it the the actual backup is on the sdcard under "rerware" folder, you could just drag it to pc if you don't want whole sd card. I do my sd card fairly often since I am rooted and get into trouble a lot and lose my sd card mounting ability or my sdext

When you are proficient with the phone, look into rooting. The N1 was made for it and once rooted you can do full image backups like Acronis for pc's and use Titanium Backup for apps. All very good. If you hear the term Nandroid, it is just Android term for a full image backup

An example of rooting is I have a "rom", a hacked/ported OS, from the Desire HD that runs Sense 3.0. In essence my phone runs and looks like a Desire runninng Sense. Also, the developers port upgrades like Gingerbread much faster to the phone than Google does. I was running Froyo then Gingerbread long before it was released to the public.

Sorry for going on there, but this is a great, versatile phone. Only bad spot is an iffy touchscreen on occasion where touches won't register correctly. If you get that, just reboot.

Enjoy

Ken

Shamal_nexusone
06-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Beauty: I learned so much during this exercise !! Can you imagine what it was like trying to see an SD folder without a file manager,,,, I must have sounded like an idiot! And that Astro pro image,, it looked like a duck,, walked like a duck,, well sort of:rofl3:
I have used xxclone for years, it'll be great fun to try it here once I get the apps up.
I'm closing in on the meaning of rooting now, this is closer to Linux OS than anything else I've used.
Talk to you sometime,,,

regards, :bike4_smilie:

rugmankc
06-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Enjoy the phone :)

DudeRandom21
06-13-2011, 04:52 PM
No problem it happens that people aren't sure exactly how everything works and that is what we are here for. Android has a little bit of a learning curve but you get used to it fast.

If you want to learn about rooting then I would go checkout the development and hacking section you will learn everything from how to get it to what you can use it for.

See ya around the forum ;)

rugmankc
06-13-2011, 04:55 PM
We will be getting help from Shamal in a couple months Dude :)

Shamal_nexusone
06-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Yeah,,,, once his son comes home after school and after reading these posts today, and realizes what an SDcard is and still has the image of dad opening his phone up a few times to look inside for an SD card ,, and takes 3 days to stop laughing !! :rofl3:
On a good note, I can see we are going to be turning these things into virtual glass cockpits for pilots, replacing thousands of dollars of electronics that would need to be put in a plane to do what this little gizmo can, with a little help from an industrious and motivated community of private and professional pilots, writing apps in their spare time !!

rugmankc
06-13-2011, 05:41 PM
Very True,

One add-on to rooting is you get to dl an app called root explorer, which will allow you to get right into the phones system/file structure
Kinda like getting into the linux on a max and re-writing the OS

Fun, but very dangerous without those pre-backups we talked about

Don't get too excited too soon, it is fun and exasperating at the same time :)

alejandro15san
06-13-2011, 07:57 PM
you seem to know a lot about technolog, im having trouble with my nexus s, the first time i plugged it to my comp it worked fine, now i cant impoort files because it says usb not recognized, plz help

DudeRandom21
06-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Did you mount the device the second time?

Shamal_nexusone
06-14-2011, 12:27 PM
As Dude has mentioned you need to allow access to your USB storage, a notice should come up asking you yes or no to USB access.
MybackUp pro works very nicely, saves a file to their server or your phone, then grab that and copy to your pc via USB for security. Slick.