View Full Version : group contacts

sotorious
06-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Is it possible in gingerbread?

Being able to set different groups.

Family, Friends, Vendors etc?

DudeRandom21
06-23-2011, 02:26 PM
AFAIK no you can't the closest thing you can do is make desktop shortcuts and drop them it a folders that you name after the group you want.

sotorious
06-23-2011, 02:34 PM
AFAIK no you can't the closest thing you can do is make desktop shortcuts and drop them it a folders that you name after the group you want.

Roger that.

danger-rat
06-23-2011, 05:19 PM
You can assign different groups in the web based Gmail, but I've no idea if/how you can make use of that in Android...

sotorious
06-23-2011, 05:49 PM
You can assign different groups in the web based Gmail, but I've no idea if/how you can make use of that in Android...

Seems like in the older versions of android you were able to, also i know touch or htc has groups.

danger-rat
06-23-2011, 05:57 PM
I have CM7, and there's a display option in the Contacts app which lets you decide which groups to display. Not sure if its in the stock ROM?

Even4steven
06-24-2011, 06:26 PM
Yes you can-
Contacts-Display Options- hit the down arrow to display your groups

SEVEN40iL
07-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Yes you can-

I have followed these steps after creating a group through gmail, but I still can not select this group when sending a text message

Even4steven
07-13-2011, 06:25 AM
Yes you can-

I have followed these steps after creating a group through gmail, but I still can not select this group when sending a text message

There are apps which will do group messaging for texts, I cannot recommend one because I don't use one.

DudeRandom21
07-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Yes you can-

There are apps which will do group messaging for texts, I cannot recommend one because I don't use one.

Neither do I but handsent has that feature so I would go check it out.

danger-rat
07-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Just tried handcent, and it works great, but man is it ugly!

DudeRandom21
07-13-2011, 08:26 PM
Just tried handcent, and it works great, but man is it ugly!

Ya I have to agree with that statement not a fan of that bubble look anyway just out of curiosity what sms app do you use?

danger-rat
07-13-2011, 08:31 PM
I use the stock one usually, but I had a need to do some group texting, so I was giving this a try.

Seems to do it's job, but I use Mighty Text on my chromebook (sync text and send/receive from the chromebook), and all the numbers I sent my texts to were different from what I though, so now I've no idea what happened...