PDA

View Full Version : Root Nexus One 2.3.4 (Bootloader Intact)

Fury
07-12-2011, 10:33 AM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYeDy8xcTZA

The full text guide is on my site: ND1Razor: How to: Root Android 2.3.4 (Nexus One) (http://goo.gl/KkaFW)

detekk
08-25-2011, 09:26 PM
I tried to unzip the file in Step 1 but it says it is invalid or corrupt.

DudeRandom21
08-25-2011, 10:53 PM
Your not supposed to unzip that file it's a passimg file so the signature needs to stay intact for the bootloader to flash it so if you unzip it you remove the signature.

detekk
08-26-2011, 02:40 AM
^ok, maybe I misunderstood the first written step.

"1. Download Shipped ROMs (http://goo.gl/fWoS6) (UNZIP THIS, then move on)"

Okay, I just download and just renamed Passion_Google_WWE... to PASSIMG.zip?

I did that, and moved it over to the Phone.

I restarted into Bootloader mode, but it didn't seem to recognize PASSIMG.zip as there was no prompt to install.

It just went directly to these options:

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
CLEAR STORAGE
SIMLOCK

Help me please.

danger-rat
08-26-2011, 08:04 AM
Your file name is wrong. Look at the file from a file manager on the phone (estrongs), and see if the file is named PASSIMG.zip.zip

detekk
08-26-2011, 10:45 AM
It's named correctly.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/6268/20110826093144.jpg

When I load up it goes

SD Checking
Loadiing...[PASSDIA.zip]
No image!
Loading...[PASSDIAG.nhh]
No image or wrong img!
found
Loading...[PASSIMG.zip]

Then the blue bar on the right goes up

Then it goes Checking...[PASSIMG.zip]

After that, nothing, it goes to

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
CLEAR STORAGE
SIMLOCK

DudeRandom21
08-26-2011, 10:49 AM
Check what's inside the zip if it's another zip then extract the first one and rename the second one passimg.zip and try again.

detekk
08-26-2011, 12:08 PM
Check what's inside the zip if it's another zip then extract the first one and rename the second one passimg.zip and try again.

Okay, I right-clicked and extracted the file. That brought up another file which I renamed to PASSIMG.zip. Now I'm on stuck on Step 11.

Where do I find ROM Manager?

11. Install ROM Manager, open it, and click Flash ClockworkMod Recovery

danger-rat
08-26-2011, 12:10 PM
Available in the Android Market (its an app).

detekk
08-26-2011, 09:15 PM
^Thanks.

Wow, that was more complicated than I thought it would be, but now I'm done the steps. Can someone tell me what I do now?

Thanks.

DudeRandom21
08-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Now you can do what ever you want if you want to install a custom ROM go for it if you want to just keep your system the way it is and just use root privileges for root apps and such then go for it it's all your choice.

detekk
08-26-2011, 09:26 PM
How do I know which are root apps?

Where do I go to get custom ROMS? What is a ROM? Any suggestions for a ROM, and what are the particular key features of the ROM?

Also, main issue I did this rooting thing is because the internal memory of the Nexus One is so small that I could no longer update my apps, and I got tire of it, and finally decided to do rooting thing. How do I now make my internal memory bigger if that is the way to word it?

DudeRandom21
08-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Root apps are apps that will ask you for root permissions when you start them up, they will probably also specify it in the market description. Now custom ROMs there are lots and the best way to chose one is to look it up some are sense based some are AOSP based etc. Here are a list of the most popular ones http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/nexus-one-development-hacking/9307-custom-roms-list.html for a first ROM I always recommend cyanogen mod. To know how they work how to install them etc I recommend you do a little research that is the best way to learn. If you want a place to start here is a good one http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/nexus-one-general-discussion/12112-nexus-one-oracle.html?highlight=nexus+oracle

detekk
08-27-2011, 02:07 AM
Thanks a lot for the links.

How much space does a Rom take? I can easily swap between different Roms?

Which one gives 720p video?

DudeRandom21
08-27-2011, 07:56 PM
The ROM is saved on the system partition of your phone so you don't have to worry about it taking up allot of place on the phone the only thing is that if you flash allot of add-on scripts or integrate system app updates into the ROM then you may run out of room in the system partition.

AFAIK there are no Gingerbread ROMs that have 720p yet but if you go back to froyo then most of them have it.

Yes it is relatively easy to swap between different ROMs but it is not a one click process, to find out how to do it please read some of the info in the links I sent you.

detekk
08-28-2011, 08:40 AM
I dont' know what's happening. I had flashed Cyanogen 7, and wanted to go back to stock, so in Rom Manager, I clicked Restore on the back-up. I'm not sure if this was the correct way to do it. Now the phone is looping on the Cyanogen Mod boot up screen over and over..

Help please.

DudeRandom21
08-28-2011, 12:14 PM
If you want to return completely stock then use the passimg method. http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/nexus-one-general-discussion/12112-nexus-one-oracle.html#post98568

detekk
08-28-2011, 02:38 PM
How do I install passimg on my phone when the phone doesn't boot up all the way? It just keeps on cycling the cyanogen boot animation.

DudeRandom21
08-28-2011, 02:47 PM
From power off hold down the vol- button and you will boot into bootloader from there you will apply the passimg file (make sure it's on the SD card first).

detekk
08-28-2011, 02:50 PM
It's not on the SD card anymore. I deleted the file. How do I get it on the card in my situation?

DudeRandom21
08-28-2011, 02:54 PM
You'll need to take the card out from the phone and use an external card reader or another phone to put the file on it then put it back in the phone. If you don't have an external card reader try and boot into recovery if you can we'll use adb push to do it but a card reader is much simpler trust me.

detekk
08-28-2011, 03:20 PM
Oka y, I don't why I didn't think of this earlier, but my new 16GB SD card came with a Micro SD adapter. I was able to copy the PASSIMG file, and now I'm back to stock. I guess I have to re-do the root process again though?

I am currently on 2.2. Does that mean I have to upgrade to 2.3.4 before using the method to root as earlier?

DudeRandom21
08-28-2011, 03:31 PM
I can tell you how to root if you want I just need to know if you unlocked the bootloader yet (unlocked padlock at the :nexusx: screen).

detekk
08-28-2011, 03:40 PM
No, it's not unlocked. Is there another method you prefer to root, or should I follow the steps in the guide in this thread again?

DudeRandom21
08-28-2011, 03:56 PM
To root your best option without unlocking the bootloader from 2.2 is to use superoneclick rageagainstthecage method but for this you will need the drivers installed, if you don't already have them installed then follow the instruction in this thread http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/nexus-one-general-discussion/12112-nexus-one-oracle.html#post98565

detekk
08-28-2011, 11:56 PM
So technically, I could stop at Step 11. What is the point of doing steps 12-17?

DudeRandom21
09-01-2011, 03:45 PM
That's if you want to go to 2.3.4 where there is no exploit all you have to do is root then flash the update and su so that you can keep root on the stock ROM but if you flash a custom ROM then you don't have to do those steps you just flash the ROM instead of the update and su.

Sorry for the late response haven't been available lately.