PDA

View Full Version : Tethering in Tanzania

lkview
08-21-2011, 07:11 PM
I will traveling in Tanzania for 3 weeks in September. I have heard from many people that the cell coverage in Tanzania - even in the national parks - is very good. My plan is to buy a Tanzania SIM card when I arrive.

I will need Internet access for my laptop much more than I will need to make phone calls. Much of the time I will be in remote locations where there will not be wi-fi coverage. Do you think I should be able to use the built-in tethering capabilities of the Nexus One/Nexus S?

Many thanks for your assistance.

alphawave7
08-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Which phone do you have? I can vouch for the bulletproof performance of the Nexus One wrt tethering..it just works. Simply need a signal and data-capable SIM, and it'll work a treat. My bud has a Nexus S, but he doesn't tether hardly at all, we just tested it once and it worked fine. Enjoy the trip, even if the data doesn't work out! :D

lkview
08-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I think you have exactly answered my question. But if anyone else has some advice, I'd sure appreciate it!

I haven't yet purchased a phone... but am leaning towards an unlocked Nexus S. That seems like the safest bet to me.

lkview
08-21-2011, 10:12 PM
One thought - do you know if you have to have 3G service for tethering to work? I think it may be limited to Edge in a lot of places.

alphawave7
08-22-2011, 12:37 AM
One thought - do you know if you have to have 3G service for tethering to work? I think it may be limited to Edge in a lot of places.

No..it's not required. :-)

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk