PDA

View Full Version : Android (not windows)

jbdao
01-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Well, since i'm the first poster, i'd like to ask a goofy question ! Has anyone besides
me struggled with the concept that this os is a lot different than windows. or at
least somewhat? I keep worrying about stray files collecting in hidden, out of the
way places, bogging down my little machine, but from everything i've seen, that's not a
problem with this os...

r, john

psychotic_penguin
01-14-2011, 09:57 PM
When I first got my D1 I had an antivirus, task killer and all of that unnecessary stuff running on my phone because I've been a Windows user for years. The thought of not having those apps was inconceivable to me, so you're not alone trust me.

Welcome to freedom of choice!

Droid-Xer
01-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Don't worry, it's natural. When I got my x with 2.1 I would always try to keep as much free ram as possible. I would kill tasks left, right, and sideways. I had to wean myself off of that. 2.2.1 handles itself nicely

furbearingmammal
01-15-2011, 02:07 PM
There's a big learning curve for people who are only used to one operating system trying to transition to another. Heck, there's often an issue when transitioning between versions of Windows (though Microsoft is entirely responsible for that problem), so making the move from the BLOAT that is any Microsoft offering to something designed to run lean, mean, and clean at all costs can be difficult.

Well worth learning, right? :) Oh, and you really shouldn't run a task killer, antivirus, etc. :D :cool-android:

mountainbikermark
01-15-2011, 02:09 PM
It's like you've been riding a bicycle since you were 3 and someone introduces you to a motorcycle when you are 35.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.

jbdao
01-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Yeah, this os, from what i've been able to learn so far, is so much smarter and i believe the correct word
would be leaner, than windows. Funny in a way that vzw tries to take advantage and subvert that
with their bloatware... but we can ignore them and not take much of a hit...

r, john

mpgo4th
02-16-2011, 09:08 PM
Im on my second android phone with my HTC inc. My first one I had a task killer and I would manually run it all the time. Now with my new one I dont use anything, just let it fly and see what it does.

SLAG IT!
03-14-2011, 01:13 AM
I would like to mention to everyone that I like both OS' for different reasons. Windows battery live is far better and is real easy to fix a problem. Android has cheaper and more apps, a better looking GUI, a wicked cool mascot and is stable if you avoid making simple newbie common mistakes. I am not excluded from those mistakes. I had a Samsung Behold2 and went crazy using my app killer... Big mistake, it started killing my apps when I did not want it to, it ate my text messages before I could even open them and jacked my phone up bad. I then started reading and found app killer is ONLY suppose to be used if the force stop function does not work and you cannot get your app to stop or uninstall whatever. I was like oops, since then I have learned oodles of knowledge.