PDA

View Full Version : Motorola Atrix Problems ?

danDroid
01-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Now here's an interesting post that CK posted over on DroidForums (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-bionic/119575-droid-bionics-unfixable-flaw.html) that was a orginally posted on HowardForums about the Droid Bionic. (still with me? lol)

If your really posting from a bionic I feel so sorry for you.that _mod edit_ is so far from usable in any way shape or form.I bet that if it even makes it to shelves it will be through a bribe.the Etna and its twin for att both have a major unfixable flaw that will plaque it forever.too bad as I like it's concept.its basically a ggalaxyS with motos XOOMs guts.almost exact!.I been using them as door stops since they are far from ready to be used daily.too bad I couldn't hand them out as hockey pucks.

If it was given the proper dev time then I would feel differently.but knowing it'll be rushed makes it a pass and wait for the droid X refresh or the Droid3.good luck with that sig of yours.

Thoughts?

tp76
01-25-2011, 10:54 AM
My thoughts are to wait it out - I was pretty hyped up about the Bionic, think I am going to watch how it all plays out before making a move

JohnDroid
01-25-2011, 11:50 AM
His english is pretty bad -- wonder if it's not his first language.... Korean perhaps?

WERA689
01-25-2011, 01:02 PM
I suppose there's always room on the internet for opinions, right?

Jayce Miskel
01-25-2011, 02:26 PM
His english is pretty bad -- wonder if it's not his first language.... Korean perhaps?

I think he might have been in a hurry or something. Normally he speaks in riddles and his English is fine.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

cereal killer
01-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Posted on Droidforums by CellZealot:

I have discussed this with the aforementioned source and its related to the PMU, which he says is too late in the process to be changed.

Severe overheating even when sitting idle, power fluctuations and cold booting problems. All of them render the device unusable at this stage, so he says.

Anyone who doesn't believe what he says about Motorola devices is sorely misguided.

He is one of the only reliable sources posting anywhere on the web with real hands on experience with all of them.

I'm holding off for now : ( which I REALLY REALLY do not want to do because I have been sitting on an upgrade since the Incredible was released. Time anything, what I feel is worth an upgrade, is released my second line will be up for an upgrade (July) Thankfully the development community backing my Stone Age Droid 1 is pretty stellar : )

Bad news all the way around though. Was hoping to get this device...oh well

WERA689
01-25-2011, 02:51 PM
I can't help but have doubts that Moto would release a device with that list of critical issues. Unusable? Either that's too extreme an assessment, or the device will get delayed IMHO.

Quicksilver7714
01-25-2011, 03:14 PM
I am surprised that a product at this stage in development would have those kind of problems with a Q2 expected release, and it somehow made its way to CES and has not been pushed back.
On another note did i hear something about a Droid X refresh?

RafficaX
01-25-2011, 03:22 PM
It could have made an appearance with Moto believing by release time these issues would be ironed out. They couldnt show up to CES empty handed...

cereal killer
01-25-2011, 03:41 PM
I've been following these devices for well over 3 months now and I know Jayce has as well so he can back me up on this. A few months ago they were still talking about these devices still being a LOONG way from being ready. I'd be willing to bet the source was VERY surprised that they were even announced at CES.

So looking back over the months and listening to the chatter it is obvious that the release timeframe looks to be premature

One thing is for sure. We will find out soon enough with the Atrix release

tp76
01-25-2011, 03:42 PM
It could have made an appearance with Moto believing by release time these issues would be ironed out. They couldnt show up to CES empty handed...
This makes sense - although showing up with the Xoom isn't quite empty handed, but they did need a mobile phone to showcase - I for one would like to see it pushed back and done right before release :)

Jayce Miskel
01-25-2011, 04:50 PM
Yeah I wouldn't mind them pushing the release back and finishing the phone right. They're probably trying to push it out by the deadlines though. An CK is right, he probably was surprised that they were announced at CES because before CES he said don't expect anything big phone wise. I don't think anyone would characterize the Atrix and Bionic as nothing big. I guess I'm just going to have to stick with my Droid a lil while longer than I expected.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

huskerkate
01-25-2011, 05:18 PM
even at CES, the phone looked to be quite a ways away from being ready for release (no app drawer, no launcher, etc). this would appear (at least to me) to be a situation of the Moto execs/marketing writing checks that the engineers/techs couldn't cash... but, at least they got their schtuff together on Moto's policy re: locked bootloaders. :wacko2:

tp76
01-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Husker I agree - the Bionic looked choppy as well

GB D1

Dorian
01-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Husker I agree - the Bionic looked choppy as well

GB D1

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Even the browser demo on the Atrix was horribly choppy when compared to other phones with much less CPU grunt. Though I don't believe the overheating theory holds water. These are dual core, and because of the power restrictions (and power management), will not operate at 1GHz very often. Like the DroidX, unless you really push the DroidX, the most you'll see it clock up to is 800MHz. With Android's "conservative" CPU governor that Moto loves to use, I really don't see the overheating.