PDA

View Full Version : Rooting phone

Manually Installed
02-07-2011, 06:19 PM
What does rooting your phone do other than give you access to all programs and files? Does it nullify your service plan?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Android.net App

wicked
02-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Root gives you complete control of your phone. It is like Admin rights on a Windows based machine.
It allows for you to have access to system files. You will be able to install custom ROMS/Themes.
The ability to overclock if you wish. I first rooted my phone so I could modify the way my phone looked and remove "bloatware".
Rooting will allow you to mod your phone to gain stability, add perfomance, and better battery life.

Make sure you do your research and do alot of reading before taking the plunge.
I guarantee, once you root your phone though, you will never look back. :cool-android:

enlightened
02-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Here's a useful thread with lots of great stickies (like tutorials about how to root, back up apps, definitions of rooting) from our sister site, HTC Incredible Forum (http://www.IncredibleForum.com) : Rooting/ Flashing ROMs/ Unrooting stickies (http://www.incredibleforum.com/forum/htc-incredible-hacks/7812-rooting-flashing-roms-unrooting-stickies.html)

Manually Installed
02-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Thank you both for the info and the link. I will definitely look into it. I have decided to go ahead and root it. Now It's a matter of when.

wicked
02-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Thank you both for the info and the link. I will definitely look into it. I have decided to go ahead and root it. Now It's a matter of when.

Glad to hear it. We'll be here if you need any help.

Droid-Xer
02-09-2011, 03:22 AM
Youll wonder why you waited so long to do it!

Manually Installed
02-09-2011, 11:24 PM
I'll let you know if I need help.

Manually Installed
02-10-2011, 01:37 PM
I plan on upgrading my SD card. Should I wait until I upgrade it before I root my phone? Or can I do it before I upgrade and then upgrade after?

enlightened
02-10-2011, 07:05 PM
You can root with your old card and upgrade the SD card later- it's not a problem at all.

Manually Installed
02-11-2011, 08:15 AM
Ok, thanks I will do my research now and then probably root this weekend.

wicked
02-11-2011, 08:27 AM
Ok, thanks I will do my research now and then probably root this weekend.

Cool, let us know how it goes.

Manually Installed
02-12-2011, 12:24 AM
Well I have done a lot of looking around and reading. I am completely new to rooting, I have no experience at all.
When I got the phone about a month ago, made sure it was fully charged and then turned it on. About a half hour after I turned it on it wanted to update, so I let it.
If I remember right before the update my brother told me that it was the HTC Droid incredible 2.2.
Froyo, I have no idea how to tell if my phone is that or not. I have been in the phone settings and looked at hardware and software and so on.
All resources I have found talk like you should already know what your doing. I am a major computer geek. I know them inside and out, but phones and rooting is totally new so any help I would appreciate.

wicked
02-12-2011, 12:29 AM
If you already had 2.2 then you are up to date. Just to be sure open up settings and click "about" and you should see the Android version

Manually Installed
02-12-2011, 01:21 AM
It said 2.2
So I guess I don't have to go back to stock cuz I'm already there? Wonder what that update was.

wicked
02-12-2011, 01:27 AM
Yeah, you're up to date. :android-dance:

Manually Installed
02-12-2011, 01:33 AM
Guess I find beginner tutorial somewhere? If I can find one. Lol

wicked
02-12-2011, 01:38 AM
Did you ever check out the link enlightened posted on the previous page? You will find lots more hacking info for the Droid Incredible there.

Manually Installed
02-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Yea, I spent some time on it this morning. I only gazed at it yesterday a little. I will probably do the tutorial on stock 2.2. I still might need 2 ask some questions about what it says to understand it.

tweebee
02-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Yes, this tutorial from that link, Rooting stock 2.2 using unrEVOked 3.32 (http://www.incredibleforum.com/forum/htc-incredible-hacks/5506-rooting-stock-2-2-using-unrevoked-3-32-a.html), should get you going with root. If you don't understand something, be sure to ask before proceeding further.

Manually Installed
02-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Is there anything I should have installed on phone or computer before I plug phone into usb to start rooting? Also, should I have any program running before I plug phone in? Or should I plug phone in before I install or run any program on computer? The tutorial doesn't say anything about the above questions, so I wanted to ask.

wicked
02-12-2011, 10:39 PM
Is your phone recognized by the computer? If not you might have to instal drivers? Plug it in and see if it is recognized. If it is then you are good to go I think.

tweebee
02-13-2011, 10:32 AM
The tutorial have specific instructions of what you need to do and run on your computer, just follow them carefully. There is no need to worry about anything else that wasn't specified.

Manually Installed
02-13-2011, 12:06 PM
My phone is recognized by my Windows XP computer. I will probably root it today.
I have noticed people wanting to unroot their phones, wonder why they would want to do that.

tweebee
02-13-2011, 12:45 PM
People unroot for various reasons. For the most part, they've experienced some sort of problems that needed to be taken to the Verizon to get fixed or replaced. And then there are those who are new to rooting and flashing ROMs, and instead of sticking to something stable, they would go flash beta versions and/or did not follow instructions carefully--they'd screw up the phone, freaked out, and then wanting to unroot. And some just want to go back to stock. All varies...

Manually Installed
02-13-2011, 07:32 PM
Ok, 1 more question hopefully. When root is done, does that mean here isn't any operating system on my phone and I have to flash one on? Or is the original operating system still on and I can use it? Well 1 more lol. If it is still on can I let it update if it want too.

wicked
02-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Ok, 1 more question hopefully. When root is done, does that mean here isn't any operating system on my phone and I have to flash one on? Or is the original operating system still on and I can use it? Well 1 more lol. If it is still on can I let it update if it want too.

Once root is done, you won't notice a difference except for the new "superuser" icon in your app drawer. Make sure you make a backup before doing any modding. It is entirely up to you if you wish to install a custom ROM after you gain root access.

Manually Installed
02-14-2011, 09:10 AM
Ok, thanks everyone I think I have done all the research i need. I wanted to root over the weekend, but I just wanted to make sure I thoroughly researched before I rooted. Let you know how it goes

Manually Installed
02-27-2011, 05:23 PM
1 last question. If I uninstall pre-installed stuff and down the road need 2 unroot, does the phone return 2 the state it was in with all the pre-installed stuff back on? Or is the pre-installed stuff gone 4ever?

furbearingmammal
02-27-2011, 05:24 PM
If you uninstall anything that came installed on the phone you won't be able to update till you put it back. Once deleted, always deleted. Easiest way to get it back on is to SBF the phone.

Manually Installed
02-27-2011, 05:48 PM
SBF?

furbearingmammal
02-27-2011, 05:57 PM
My apologies -- there was a glitch and a phone model was reported as a Droid X. Ignore my comment. :)

tweebee
02-28-2011, 11:01 AM
1 last question. If I uninstall pre-installed stuff and down the road need 2 unroot, does the phone return 2 the state it was in with all the pre-installed stuff back on? Or is the pre-installed stuff gone 4ever?

After you rooted, you will always have the option of going back to complete stock using this method, How to get back to complete stock from s-off (http://www.incredibleforum.com/forum/htc-incredible-hacks/5723-how-get-back-complete-stock-s-off.html), which will unroot your phone and running stock ROM with all the pre-loaded apps as when you had gotten it on first day.

enlightened
02-28-2011, 11:41 AM
FBM, lol! OP, follow what Tweebee said and the links in my signature. It will all be okay if you follow the instructions carefully. It sounds like you have a good idea of what's going on with regard to rooting, so you're a few steps ahead of the game.

EDIT- my signature doesn't have the links. I'm updating it now so that you'll have everything you need in one place.

furbearingmammal
02-28-2011, 03:59 PM
FBM, lol! OP, follow what Tweebee said and the links in my signature. It will all be okay if you follow the instructions carefully. It sounds like you have a good idea of what's going on with regard to rooting, so you're a few steps ahead of the game.

EDIT- my signature doesn't have the links. I'm updating it now so that you'll have everything you need in one place.

Big oops. :sorry::redface: Boy is my face red. :D

BTW, if you did edit your sig it didn't go through yet. :)

Manually Installed
02-28-2011, 07:56 PM
The rooting directions are sorta misleading.
It says near the top "download and install unrEVOked usb driver" (the link 2 download is within that statement.)

1. uninstall a couple of programs, I forget what they are. I will check again before I do it.
2. download and unzipped the file to the desktop.
Call me stupid, but am I suppose to start at the download link or number 1? BTW u can't download and install it because there isn't an exe, msi or any other install file. All there is is ini cat and dll files in there. So the only thing u can do is to extract it.
And I guess the phone is suppose to be plugged in the computer before the start because it doesn't say to plug it in, but number 3 or 4 says to unplug phone.

furbearingmammal
02-28-2011, 08:46 PM
.ini is the driver file -- force-update your phone to use that driver, or uninstall the phone and point it at that folder/file to install as the driver.

Manually Installed
03-01-2011, 11:23 AM
You know what I'm a computer geek and I forgot all about force updating. LOL its been a long time since I have had to force update anything .

furbearingmammal
03-01-2011, 02:55 PM
It's great how when they idiot-proof everything it actually makes us feel like idiots when we forget how we USED to do things, huh? :) Or how true idiots STILL manage to break everything and we have ten times as hard a job fixing it. :D

Fellow computer geek here. The invective I have spewed trying to figure out Vista after coming off 2000 and XP... :android-cry::lousyputer_smilie::lousyputer_smilie::lousypu ter_smilie::lousyputer_smilie::lousyputer_smilie:

Manually Installed
03-02-2011, 09:11 AM
I hate Vista. I have already fixed numerous Vista computers for people who own 1. Vista and windows 7 are junk. That is why I am sticking with XP as long as I can. LOL

tweebee
03-02-2011, 10:36 AM
I hate Vista. I have already fixed numerous Vista computers for people who own 1. Vista and windows 7 are junk. That is why I am sticking with XP as long as I can. LOL

Your junk may be someone else's love... I LOVE Windows 7, been using it ever since its release, love it more than XP even. Now Vista is real junk!!

Manually Installed
03-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Yea I agree with you, some people do love certain windows versions.

Some people say that windows 7 is Vista that works. Lol

furbearingmammal
03-02-2011, 07:18 PM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/windows_7.png

Manually Installed
03-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Not sure if I saw it somewhere, but I'm thinking of switching 2 cricket.
Can I still root my incredible if I have it flashed over 2 cricket from Verizon?

furbearingmammal
03-30-2011, 08:35 PM
You need to root it before you can flash it, so yes.

dorkpixie23
04-08-2011, 04:50 AM
Hi, newbie here I am interested in rooting my HTC incredible Droid 2.2 due to some app requirements. I do see that it is possible to in-root if necessary. I am so fat from knowing where to start or anything about it. I do not even know how to access ROM. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ty.

furbearingmammal
04-08-2011, 04:56 AM
Do a search for unrevoked. You will find all you need. :)

Droid. The first Droid. The best Droid. My Droid. And boy do I hate stock.

tweebee
04-08-2011, 06:28 AM
Hi, newbie here I am interested in rooting my HTC incredible Droid 2.2 due to some app requirements. I do see that it is possible to in-root if necessary. I am so fat from knowing where to start or anything about it. I do not even know how to access ROM. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ty.

Follow this tutorial to root your phone, Rooting stock 2.2 using unrEVOked 3.32 (http://www.incredibleforum.com/forum/htc-incredible-hacks/5506-rooting-stock-2-2-using-unrevoked-3-32-a.html).

Ike
10-03-2011, 03:20 PM
I have been trying to root my phone but no matter how long I hold down my volume- button along with my power button nothing happens, I can't get to the Hboot screen. If I lift up the power button while still holding the volume button then my HTC Incredible turns on as standard. Does something need turned on to to get to the Hboot screen?

Ike

Manually Installed
10-08-2011, 11:23 AM
When u hold the volume button and the power button down make sure u are holding the bottom of the volume button down which is volume down and not the holding The whole button down.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Android.net