PDA

View Full Version : When or will the droid 2 global get the infamous gingerbread update

droidsonroids
02-17-2011, 08:03 PM
I do not have the answer but i figured i would start a thread for people to post any info or news about which phones will get the update and when:android-rules:

Dorian
02-17-2011, 08:16 PM
The D2G is too powerful a phone to go without updates... It'll eventually get Gingerbread, though I don't know when. I'm guessing somewhere around the same time that the DX gets updated.

furbearingmammal
02-17-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm with Dorian, but I'm going to say it'll probably be a couple weeks if not a full month after the X update because the D2G isn't as popular, so it's lower on the priority list.

droidsonroids
02-17-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm with Dorian, but I'm going to say it'll probably be a couple weeks if not a full month after the X update because the D2G isn't as popular, so it's lower on the priority list.

Why do you sppose that is. Dont get me wrong the X is an awesome phone but i definitely think the d2g is better with the exception that the bootloader is locked. Anyway thanks for the input i appreciate the quick responses especially from the super moderators.

furbearingmammal
02-17-2011, 10:11 PM
The X is "sexier" with the bigger screen, so it's sold more units. The Droid 2 Global was positioned as a business phone, whereas the X as a consumer phone. Since most business still issue Blackberries (with good reason), the demand for it was already restricted.

poontab
02-18-2011, 02:12 AM
Never

Trenton
02-18-2011, 03:27 AM
I agree with poon. D2 is a lost cause. And it sucks.

droidsonroids
02-18-2011, 07:57 PM
I agree with poon. D2 is a lost cause. And it sucks.

With all do respect good sir. Your off you rocker. The D2G is an awesome phone. Quadrant advanced marks it as the overall top phone (for now anyway). Yah i agree that the locked bootloader really puts a damper on the full capabilties of the phone and yah had i done my homework before getting it i probably would have "gone elsewhere". but at the same time aliasxerog is working hard on cracking the bootlader for the droidx (which is clearly a great phone as well) so i'm sure once he completes his work that shortly after that it will be tweaked for most locked devices. see for yourself Project Bootloader Freedom - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/project-bootloader-freedom/)

spaz33g
02-19-2011, 02:38 AM
The biggest component as i see it is that the droid 2/global suck from a hacking standpoint but motorola couldnt care less. For the vast majority of users it is a solid phone. I would be baffled if it didnt get gingerbread.

tappin and a talkin

droidsonroids
03-04-2011, 07:54 PM
... So rumor has it that gingerbread 2.4 is around the corner thus delaying updates for most phones getting the update and may not go to several phones that were originally expected to get the update. However rumors are just that "Rumors". Penny for your thoughts... :android-displeased:

furbearingmammal
03-04-2011, 08:07 PM
From what I heard a few weeks ago, 2.4 is supposed to be Gingerbread with all the battery/RAM optimizations of 3.0, rolled into a phone-based OS.

On the other hand, I also heard it'd be Ice Cream and it'd have all the ZOMG improvements deserving of such an upgrade. We shall see.

droidsonroids
03-04-2011, 08:22 PM
yah thats pretty much what i heard... Just hate the waiting game... I really want that battery fix. I can afford the extended battery but not looking to make my phone have a bigger buldge in my pocket than i have. lol

furbearingmammal
03-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Mine literally lives on a charger when it's not in my pocket or at a friend's house. :)

droidsonroids
04-03-2011, 05:06 PM
So rumor has it that a leaked version of a gingerbread update is out for the droid x and droid 2 ( and hopefully that means the D2G). I hope this rumor is true and the ota update isn't far behind. Anyone has any further info please post to help inform others. Thx

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Android.net

furbearingmammal
04-03-2011, 08:25 PM
What rumor? It's been out for a week. However, the D2G, being such a very different phone, does not have a leak at present.

droidsonroids
04-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Yah I generally don't read droid x or any other phone forums for that matter so I didn't realize that it was out that long and I didn't want to say it was definitely true on something that I wasn't 100 percent sure of. But I'm happy for those droiders I know they have been waiting longer than I have for the update.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Android.net