PDA

View Full Version : Difference between widget & shortcut

Manually Installed
02-24-2011, 03:32 PM
What is the difference between widget and making a shortcut on home screen? Is 1 easier on the battery than the other?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Android.net App

wicked
02-24-2011, 04:07 PM
A widget can show updates and a shortcut is just a shortcut so certain widgets that update often will definitely drain battery as shortcuts do not.

Droid-Xer
02-24-2011, 06:29 PM
Ya try to limit widgets if you're having battery issues. I use about 5 widgets on 5 different screens.

mountainbikermark
02-24-2011, 06:48 PM
I don't have any that poll but I've got 11 on one screen,7 on another and 10 on my third screen.
Circle Launcher (like a folder ), Easy Switch (radio controllers), Desktop Visualizer (basically an app with custom icons) and Animated Widget(speed dialer)

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.

furbearingmammal
02-24-2011, 09:01 PM
Widgets are active programs, so they're always running. A shortcut is just that -- a shortcut to an app or something.

aaf709
02-24-2011, 09:43 PM
Widgets are active programs, so they're always running. A shortcut is just that -- a shortcut to an app or something.

An example of this is the Mototorch app. As a shortcut, pressing it will bring up the app. Pressing the top of the screen turns the camera LEDs on or off. You also are able to send Morse Code (type in what you want and it'll flash) or strobe. As a widget, pressing it will turn the camera LEDs on or off only, but without needing to go to the app first. This widget is handy in case you need a light and don't want to do many steps.

I have 6 widgets on 4 screens. The only information apps I have is Beautiful Widgets and Battery Left, no Facebook or Twitter.

Manually Installed
02-24-2011, 11:41 PM
Thank you all for the info

Sent from my ADR6300 using Android.net App

furbearingmammal
02-24-2011, 11:54 PM
Happy to help out, and I know I speak for everyone (and if I don't, well, show your displeasure with a Like) when I say that. :)