PDA

View Full Version : What is Rooting?

Uptheirons726
05-18-2011, 04:05 PM
I know I know I'm a noob but I'm new here and I see everyone talking about "rooting" their phone. What does this mean? Id like to install Gingerbread on my G2 also. Any tips ideas links would all be awesome!

The Shredi Knight

Droid-Xer
05-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Rooting is gaining administrative access to your device. You can access system files which are untouchale on a stock phone. Rooting normally requires you run an automated program on your PC while your phone is connected, or use an app on your phone, or run manual commands via adb. I'm unsure on the sammies how its done. But I'm sure someone will chime in.

Mujibar
05-18-2011, 04:31 PM
On my phone via Tapatalk right now, so I can't see your phone model. Which Sammy are we talking about?

Tapatalk'd

Uptheirons726
05-19-2011, 06:44 PM
What's a Sammy? Lol

The Shredi Knight

Mujibar
05-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Samsung

Tapatalk'd

SLAG IT!
05-19-2011, 11:23 PM
I thought it was a sandwich. Lol I am joking.

Uptheirons726
05-20-2011, 05:51 PM
I don't have a Samsung. T-Mobile G2 here.

The Shredi Knight

barbela
05-27-2011, 01:40 PM
What is Rooting?
“Rooting” your device means obtaining “superuser” rights and permissions to your Android’s software. With these elevated user privileges, you gain the ability to load custom software (ROM’s), install custom themes, increase performance, increase battery life, and the ability to install software that would otherwise cost extra money (ex: WiFi tethering). Rooting is essentially “hacking” your Android device. In the iPhone world, this would be the equivalent to “Jailbreaking” your phone.

phillycodehound
05-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Rooting is great. There is a program out there called Gingerbreak that will root your Gingerbread OS for you. One click and you're rooted. Keep in mind that rooting most of the time voids your warrant. But IMHO it's worth it because of the customizations you can do with it.

I think the G2 is getting Gingerbread so I'd wait for the OTA than get a leaked version.

furbearingmammal
05-27-2011, 03:51 PM
I don't have a Samsung. T-Mobile G2 here.

The Shredi Knight

Manufactured by HTC. I had to look it up, so I'm going to post. :D

Rooting allows you to do some interesting things to the phone, but depending on how locked down the G2 is you won't gain too much by rooting it unless all you want is to remove the bloatware.

zachgross
08-22-2011, 12:38 AM
Im looking for the "gingerbreak" 1.2 apk....I seen someone mention it pls help!! Thanks.

Optimus V

frozen
11-25-2011, 06:45 AM
hey...... I join this forum and found it really interesting information. I love these posts becasue it contains very useful information. I must appreciate this community. Thanks!

Droidfreak87
03-05-2012, 03:01 AM
Rooting is great. There is a program out there called Gingerbreak that will root your Gingerbread OS for you. One click and you're rooted. Keep in mind that rooting most of the time voids your warrant. But IMHO it's worth it because of the customizations you can do with it.

I think the G2 is getting Gingerbread so I'd wait for the OTA than get a leaked version.

Pretty sure my phone is no longer under warranty as I bought it lightly used off ebay, but what about insurance? If you root your device and something happens to it after the fact, is that something insurance would typically cover or no?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android.net

furbearingmammal
03-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Check Motorola's website. They go by the IMEI number to figure out if you have warranty left through them or not. As for insurance, you're gold as long as you HAVE insurance on it. All they're interested in is your monthly fee and your deductible.

Droidfreak87
03-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Check Motorola's website. They go by the IMEI number to figure out if you have warranty left through them or not. As for insurance, you're gold as long as you HAVE insurance on it. All they're interested in is your monthly fee and your deductible.

What is the IMEI number and where would I find it?

furbearingmammal
03-06-2012, 01:31 AM
International Mobile Electronics Identification number. Right under the battery. If you have problems finding the page on their website I can try to find it for you. :)

Droidfreak87
03-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Found it, warranty is good through 1/23/2013. Thanks, fbm :)

furbearingmammal
03-07-2012, 01:50 AM
You're welcome! Gotta love it when there's still warranty. Now find out if you can put insurance on it for a reasonable price and you should be good to go!

Droidfreak87
03-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Put insurance on her last week when I got her turned on :)

jasonmartin
08-27-2012, 07:33 PM

Great I was also thinking to post a thread like Rooting but really after reading such meaningful relies I come to know its full fledged meaning. Now I can say its like a known term to me.