PDA

View Full Version : Droid Charge

ronlsjr
05-29-2011, 01:21 PM
Hello, i just got the new droid charge and its very nice. I want to know if Samsung is going to release gingerbread up date? How can i get permanent root on my droid carge so i can continue using my root tools i purchased and install new roms hopefully gingerbread when they start becomming avaliable? I heard in one of the forums that the bootloader is unlocked and i also heard kjar the dev that works with jrummy is going to start doing work with the droid charge i seen kjar post in another forum but i cant remember the forum he posted in.

Sent from my Samsung Droid Charge using Tapatalk

furbearingmammal
05-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Samsung will do what Samsung wants or is paid to do when it comes to software updates of such a major level. As for permanent root, give it time. :)

SLAG IT!
05-29-2011, 02:05 PM
I agree with Furbearingmammal and what he stated. Samsung is that way with all carriers. They don't feel they shouldn't be paid for the software updates.

ronlsjr
05-29-2011, 02:30 PM
Ok, what about the devs will they start working on gingerbread roms to install on the droid charge? This is a very nice phone and it will be disapointing to see no devs comming out with gb roms and stuff like they did with the droidx. If nothing good is going to go on with this phone im going to take it back before my 15 days is up and force myself to wait on the droid bionic eventhou they keep delaying the release.

Sent from my Samsung Droid Charge using Tapatalk

furbearingmammal
05-29-2011, 02:48 PM
Any ROM for the Droid X is a modified theme; the locked bootloader saw to that. Same with any other locked down phone that they never hacked or bypassed the bootloader.

If there's no permanent root there will be no ROMs, period. Until permanent root is achieved you'll just have to deal with what Sammy's felt fit to give you. So, I council patience, my young padawan. :D

SLAG IT!
05-30-2011, 12:34 AM
I agree with FBM. He is correct with the way it works with rom and dev of roms.

The force is strong with FBM!

Martin030908
05-30-2011, 01:50 AM
... you can root your Charge, it's possible already.

Dorian
05-30-2011, 02:02 AM
... you can root your Charge, it's possible already.

Possible. And yep, the Charge has an unlocked bootloader... so you'll see WAYYYYY more customization with the Charge if the dev community gets behind it. Since it's an LTE device with much better battery life than the Thunderbolt, I suspect that the Charge will be just fine, given time. Gingerbread will be released, for sure though. It's a hummingbird based device. Gingerbread development is quite far along for Samsung's hummingbird devices like the Galaxy S. The only thing that's different between the Galaxy S and the Charge is that the Charge has LTE radios. I'm guessing shortly after the Fascinate gets Gingerbread, the Charge will as well.

Also, as soon as the Charge gets some kernel devs, you'll see some really cool stuff. Like Voodoo sound support for the Wolfson audio or kernel level overclocking support...

Droid-Xer
05-30-2011, 03:07 AM
Head over to Samsung Droid Charge Forum (http://www.chargeforums.com/) and we have some root info there as well as a few ROMs.

Martin030908
05-30-2011, 09:39 AM
I'll be rooting (using ODIN) shortly. Just wanna put the phone through it's paces a lil longer (and be certain I'm keeping the Charge) before rooting this bad boy.

Droid-Xer
05-30-2011, 09:51 AM
I'll be rooting (using ODIN) shortly. Just wanna put the phone through it's paces a lil longer (and be certain I'm keeping the Charge) before rooting this bad boy.

Just do it!

SLAG IT!
06-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Do it! You won't regret the phone.

EARL97850
07-09-2011, 06:31 PM
I just received my Droid Charge the other day....WOW this is a great phone.I tried to do as much research as possible...I ended up with a Charge. Although it only been a couple of days I think I'm keeping this thing. I don't live in a 4g area but travel to 4g areas...I went to such a area just today and all I can say is HOLY CRAP this thing just flies. It's hard to believe you can get cable like speeds on the Internet.Now I just have to figure out how to root this thing so I can really make it scream.Just a general question...will a root save some battery life? Especially in 4g areas.ThanksCya

furbearingmammal
07-09-2011, 06:54 PM
The short answer re: battery is no.

:welcome1: to the forum!

EARL97850
07-09-2011, 07:12 PM
The short answer re: battery is no.:welcome1: to the forum!Ok...thanks.As I stated, I just got it and this is the first experience in 4g and I got about 4 1/2 to 5 hrs of moderate to heavy use.I think that is line with what I remember most or some of the reports of use in 4g areas.Cya