PDA

View Full Version : Help rooting the lg vortex and know how to tethreing for free

Liquidvortex
06-05-2011, 03:31 AM
Plzzz help me root this lg vortex and free tethreing

Droid-Xer
06-05-2011, 06:23 AM
Moving to vortex section

Droid-Xer
06-05-2011, 06:29 AM
Looks like z4 works. Download z4 here (any link) http://www.android.net/forum/android-rooting/58044-z4root-download-links-get-your-root-here.html and follow this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiE_Rwd44GI

Liquidvortex
06-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Ok so I was gonna try to root my phone but come to find out there is alot more to it what all do I need to get I wanna wipe it from the factory apps that I really dont use can someone help with that ?

Sent from my Vortex using Android.net

CR6
06-06-2011, 01:29 PM
After you root, you can download Titanium Backup from the Market and "freeze" the apps you don't want. (You dont really want to remove them completely) That way you can"thaw" them out if you ever need to return to stock or need an OTA update. OR you can download a launcher like ADW, LauncherPro or Golauncher, which will "hide" the apps you don't want.

Tapatalker!

Liquidvortex
06-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Ok im just looking to use more space what would be a good theme to use I have gde now they dont have.many

furbearingmammal
06-06-2011, 01:52 PM
ADW has a ton of themes on the Market. Never heard of GDE.

Liquidvortex
06-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Ok im trying to root with z4root and it keeps force closing I got it off 4shared.com im running android 2.2.2

furbearingmammal
06-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Have you tried the version here in our downloads section? It's a bit more trusted a source. :)

Also, make sure USB Debugging is turned on.

Liquidvortex
06-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Ill try it

Liquidvortex
06-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Ok nothing is working I tried the z4root and nothing happen but that might ve my fault I did root it with ginger but I thought it didnt work how can I get it off there and I did a system factory restore lastnight but that didnt work some files I downloaded are not even showing up any help on that?

furbearingmammal
06-06-2011, 09:29 PM
So you were running z4root to root an already rooted phone. I understand that part. You also did a factory reset. What didn't work? If you would clean that up and explain what you're asking we'll be able to help, because what it sounds like is your factory reset didn't reset your phone to a like-new Gingerbread ROM install.

What, exactly, are you trying to accomplish? What system version are you running? What ROM? Any and all information at this point would be useful.

SLAG IT!
06-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Yes, it would be helpful so we can affectively assertain what is happening and give you proper guidance.
By the way you realize Verizon is blocking wifi tethering? That was one of your questions and or concerns you had.

Liquidvortex
06-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Ok iv got it I think what I used befor z4root was gingerbreak it worked.but when I did a factory reset it took it off so I used it again and its working now I just.need to figure out how to change to better more me themes

furbearingmammal
06-06-2011, 11:25 PM
Check out the themes in the Market, look at the pictures, see if they fit. Or see if a full-on theme that actually replaces the applications in question is more your speed. :)

Droid-Xer
06-06-2011, 11:36 PM
So you have super user access? The skull.and crossbones?

CR6
06-06-2011, 11:36 PM
FBM has a good idea with checking out the themes in the Market to get a better idea.
I use GoLauncher and they've got dozens of free themes as well, just do a search under GoLauncher to check them out.
Good luck!

Tapatalker!

Liquidvortex
06-06-2011, 11:52 PM
Yea I got super user but I just couldnt find a theme for me so I unrooted and it wiped out alot of my stuff including my vzw stuff i did a fatory reset and there gone I hope and wonder if I can get someone.just to get it back like new out of the box I guess its what I get for being a noobe

furbearingmammal
06-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Welcome to the fun of hacking on a phone when you're not 100% prepared. The hardest part can be getting back to start over. :)

Luckily you don't have an Atrix. You'd really be up the black river. :D

Anyway, what you'll need is a copy of the stock ROM. You'll then flash that on like you did the Gingerbread ROM. Once you've done that you'll want to do a factory reset and you'll be back to out-of-the-box stock. :) Someone more familiar with the specifics can probably give you more detailed instructions.

And when you're ready to move back into the hacking world, we'll be here.

Droid-Xer
06-07-2011, 12:32 AM
Ya you can't unroot by doing a factory reset. Its still there. To check for root download Root Checker from the market.

Liquidvortex
06-07-2011, 01:01 AM
Its says there is no root access but there a busybox

CR6
06-07-2011, 01:18 AM
Thats another reason you don't want to completely delete stock apps without first backing them up with an app like Titanium Backup.
You need some of those apps to properly return to stock so its better to freeze or hide them unless you're completely comfortable rooting you phone.
Someone with your make/model should be able to explain this in better detail for you and get you back on track, as there are slight differences in the root process with many makes and models.
Good luck.

Tapatalker!

Droid-Xer
06-07-2011, 02:35 AM
No root access? Did you do temp root? If so it will disappear with each reboot.

Liquidvortex
06-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Thats just it I dont know what gingerbreak did

SLAG IT!
06-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Where did you go to learn how to root your phone? What process did you take to root it? Can you provide me a link to where?

Liquidvortex
06-07-2011, 02:03 PM
I was just reading diffrent stuff and gingerbreak is what I used I didnt read the hole thing where I had to back up first I didnt do that I mean my phone is really running better more faster now then it was im still getting my vzw updates and all I just hope I didnt screw it up and me not know

Liquidvortex
06-07-2011, 02:05 PM
4shared.com is where I got the gingerbreak

SLAG IT!
06-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Gingerbreak was designed for exploiting gingerbread and wasn't really meant for devices running froyo. If the bootloader is locked it won't work properly and the apk file wasn't meant for temp root. If you used it then that's why you were having issues. Go to this website if you want to learn more about what happened.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1044765

furbearingmammal
06-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Yes. Please STOP using 4shared before you install something that takes control of your phone away from you. :)

Liquidvortex
06-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Ok what I did and it worked was superoneclick iv got superuser now.befor I got doing something wrong what is.it I need to get to get my phone going and themed my way and get where my phone takes screen shots and other good stuff I know im being a pain but I just love learning new stuff ty

SLAG IT!
06-07-2011, 09:44 PM
You can get launcher themes from the market. Adw and go launcher are both great.

Liquidvortex
06-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Ok ty have anybody heard of applanet.net

furbearingmammal
06-07-2011, 10:29 PM
We do not discuss applanet because we do not discuss piracy. Any further discussion of that site will result in the closing of this thread and possible bans. We take piracy very seriously here.

Sent from my Droid using Android.net

Liquidvortex
06-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Wow I was just asking I seen about it on youtube sorry

Liquidvortex
06-08-2011, 12:44 AM
Ok one more thing how do I change my start up tone

furbearingmammal
06-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Wow I was just asking I seen about it on youtube sorry

It's alright. We have a zero-tolerance policy for piracy, so we make it very clear to people who ask. :)

As for changing the startup tone, I have no idea how you'd do that if there isn't an app in the Market that does it for you. I imagine you'd need to muck about inside the secure areas to do something like that.

Liquidvortex
06-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Ok I got launcher and I click the home screen as default and Im stuck with my stock home screen how do I change it and unclick the button

furbearingmammal
06-08-2011, 05:08 PM
What launcher are you using?

Liquidvortex
06-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Go laucher but im stuck on my vortex home screen

Droid-Xer
06-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Use Home Smack from the market to switch home screens

Liquidvortex
06-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Ty it worked but I have more lol iv been looking at youtube on rooted lg votex I seen this one.that had cricket start up on it and seen another talking about flash what is that about

Liquidvortex
06-08-2011, 11:46 PM
The one I liked the most on youtube the name is blood sonething if you could look at it and plz tell me how to get it like that free lol I would pay if it could be.billed to my phone I dont have.a cc

Liquidvortex
06-08-2011, 11:57 PM
And im looking to get a droid for good price and good shap