PDA

View Full Version : Velocity 0.3 is out

blackmetalbuick
10-06-2010, 05:20 AM
http://androidforums...tml#post1697751 (http://androidforums.com/trident/192548-rom-velocity-v0-3-lg-ally-fast-vzb-android-2-1-stable.html#post1697751)

Just got it installed. This is the quickest and most responsive my Ally has ever been. I don't think I'm going to run the overclock kernel like I did with V0.2, my battery life was terrible.

This explains how to prepare your SD card as to avoid any conflicts.

http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/192571-howto-partition-your-sdcard-a2sd.html

Vol4One
10-06-2010, 07:59 AM
Man I wish I had the ball...err....courage to try these ROMs. I figure if we ever get concrete notification that we AREN'T gonna get 2.2, I'll probably become brave! http://www.lgallyforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

wgbeatty
10-06-2010, 08:39 AM
I'm liking v0.3 a lot and don't plan to overclock. Even better peformance over v0.2...love it.

Tried the a2sd thing yesterday and somehow hosed my phone (and I've had no issues flashing roms, kernels, etc). Got it recovered and I think it may have something to do with ROM Manager and a bit of user error pehaps...lol.

blay
10-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Running .3 as well. I really feel no need to run oc'd, as w/ .3 my Ally is pretty snappy.

gtr1000rider
10-06-2010, 11:19 AM
I flashed 0.3 but lost my Youtube in the process. Anyone know how to get it back? I suppose I can go back to 0.2 then to 0.3 again to see if that works but I. Was hoping for an easier solution.

Darkhorse153
10-06-2010, 12:49 PM
After the last update things stopped working and performance was awful... I figured that means time to try some custom roms!

Just installed Velocity .3 with the GNM Turbo 4 (JIT) Kernel and its absolutly the best LG Ally EVER! With the LauncherPro installed there is NO LAG.

Everything works and the performance is through the roof. Went from a ~3 mflop linpack score to ~8 Mflop score.

Its worth the effort if your comfy working at the command line. Be sure to donate to dresildee and trident if you use so the updates keep coming.

blackmetalbuick
10-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Also in the V0.3 thread towards the bottom of the first post there are instructions to update the radio that came with the new LG software update. I've avoided the new update so it was nice to get the new radio. Maybe I'm imagining it but my signal is staying around 3 bars now when it used to be 1 indoors so maybe it really does help.

flyinjoe13
10-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Is it better to flash to v0.3 first and then apply the GNM_Turbo4 update or visa versa? Also, do you apply both oif these the same way? I have directions for applying v0.3, but none for applying the Turbo4.

gtr1000rider
10-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Flash v0.3 first then Turbo4. Do them both the same way.

flyinjoe13
10-06-2010, 08:48 PM
No luck with either. When I try to Reboot to Recovery from within ROM Manager, it reboots but then flashes a screen real quick with the android icon and a triangle with an exclamation point in it, then the phone just reboots itself normal. So I never actually get to the Recovery mode to do the ROM flash.

Darkhorse153
10-06-2010, 08:56 PM
No luck with either. When I try to Reboot to Recovery from within ROM Manager, it reboots but then flashes a screen real quick with the android icon and a triangle with an exclamation point in it, then the phone just reboots itself normal. So I never actually get to the Recovery mode to do the ROM flash.

@Joe - Did you apply dresildee's custom recovery.img? You cant install roms with the regular recovery that comes on the Ally.

http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/146564-ally-recovery-img-here-custom-roms.html

What you describe sounds like the stock recovery.

gtr1000rider
10-06-2010, 09:10 PM
If you're using Clockwork recovery flash it again. It sounds like it didn't take the first time. Or use Drellisdee's custom recovery, I've heard good things but have yet to make the switch.

blackmetalbuick
10-07-2010, 04:45 AM
Flash Velocity and then Turbo and whatever else on top of it. For flashing Velocity, once you get to the recovery menu, you need to wipe data, cache, and dalvik cache. For other things like turbo, you delete the two caches, but you don't need to wipe data all over again.

Joe, I used to have the exact same problem with Rom Manager. Here is what works for me. Open Rom Manger, press your phone's menu key, go to settings. Make sure the box is checked for "Erase Recovery - recovery will be erased prior to flashing". Go back out to the first ROM Manager screen. Click flash Clockwork at the top again. Wait for it to say success. Then click reboot into recovery. After all these steps, this time you should get the recovery menu instead of an error message.

flyinjoe13
10-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Thanks. I will try it again using your steps whenever I get a chance.

flyinjoe13
10-07-2010, 11:02 AM
That worked. I decided to start with just the GNM_Turbo4_no_kernel. It seemed to install fine and my Linpack score went up from 4.188 to 6.736 so I guess it installed correctly. Can't say as I notice any difference in the way the phone is running, but i'm assuming it is faster. Any way I can tell if it's faster? Will webpages load quicker, etc.? Will my phone run hotter or get less battery life?

Thanks for the help with ROM Manager....

Darkhorse153
10-07-2010, 02:41 PM
I think I got a bigger return from switching to Velocity .3 from stock due to all the verizon installed crap on the install (the stock ROM was autostarting many processes I never used and in two cases running more than one copy of the same process). With Velocity .3 nothing starts unless I use it and it usually stops when I close the app.

The GNM Turbo only really boosted the Linpack scores. Went from a 3.5 stock to 8.66.

The one piece that really put it all together was the LauncherPro. Its seems alot more responsive and its functionality is totally customizable to what your needs are...

Vol4One
10-07-2010, 02:58 PM
I think I got a bigger return from switching to Velocity .3 from stock due to all the verizon installed crap on the install (the stock ROM was autostarting many processes I never used and in two cases running more than one copy of the same process). With Velocity .3 nothing starts unless I use it and it usually stops when I close the app.

The GNM Turbo only really boosted the Linpack scores. Went from a 3.5 stock to 8.66.

The one piece that really put it all together was the LauncherPro. Its seems alot more responsive and its functionality is totally customizable to what your needs are...

Does the overall operating system seem to be more responsive? Apps launching and returning to home screen? I can switch screens with Launcher Pro using stock ROM with pretty good results. My big problem is programs hanging at times.

johnjjbsu
10-07-2010, 06:45 PM
http://androidforums...tml#post1697751 (http://androidforums.com/trident/192548-rom-velocity-v0-3-lg-ally-fast-vzb-android-2-1-stable.html#post1697751)

Just got it installed. This is the quickest and most responsive my Ally has ever been. I don't think I'm going to run the overclock kernel like I did with V0.2, my battery life was terrible.

This explains how to prepare your SD card as to avoid any conflicts.

http://androidforums...dcard-a2sd.html (http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/192571-howto-partition-your-sdcard-a2sd.html)

This Rom is AMAZING! - The Auto Apps2SD on 2.1 is well worth doing this NOW than waiting for LG to drag out 2.2 if ever it does.

flyinjoe13
10-07-2010, 09:28 PM
After most of the day, i'd have to say that I don't notice any major change at all with my phone using the GNM_Turbo4 so i'd like to go back to the stock ROM I had before. I made a backup of it beforehand so no worries there, but I do have a question about doing the restore.

1.) Should I restore my backup from within Rom Manager or boot into Recovery and do it from there?

2.) Which caches should I clear. I'm assuming the partition cache and the dalvik cache, but what about the data wipe\factory reset? Do I need to do that one as well?

blackmetalbuick
10-07-2010, 09:59 PM
The benefit of the Turbo kernel is that you can use SetCPU to overlock the phone. The kernel alone might boost a little bit of performance but the entire point is that you can speed up on the phone once you flash that kernel. It should have come with SetCPU, at least when I installed it I automatically had that App. You can boost the processor from 600Mhz to 787.

I've never flashed a backup myself, but I've heard any time you flash a Rom, you wipe data, cache, and dalvik, so I would wipe it all when doing a backup too. Maybe someone else can confirm though.

LauncherPro is a great idea no matter what; stock, rooted, ROM'd, etc. It's the best launcher! Velocity 0.3 with LauncherPro is great.

flyinjoe13
10-08-2010, 05:50 AM
Tried LauncherPro and I prefer Zeam and ADW. LauncherPro is very laggy compared to ADW and Zeam.

gtr1000rider
10-08-2010, 07:57 AM
I tried Zeam for a couple days and would prefer it over ADW if not for the monster lag or refresh when I hit the home key while in a browser or app.

blay
10-08-2010, 09:06 AM
LauncherPro hasn't failed me yet. Love it.

Darkhorse153
10-08-2010, 09:38 PM
The benefit of the Turbo kernel is that you can use SetCPU to overlock the phone. The kernel alone might boost a little bit of performance but the entire point is that you can speed up on the phone once you flash that kernel. It should have come with SetCPU, at least when I installed it I automatically had that App. You can boost the processor from 600Mhz to 787.

I've never flashed a backup myself, but I've heard any time you flash a Rom, you wipe data, cache, and dalvik, so I would wipe it all when doing a backup too. Maybe someone else can confirm though.

LauncherPro is a great idea no matter what; stock, rooted, ROM'd, etc. It's the best launcher! Velocity 0.3 with LauncherPro is great.

The implementation of JIT (Just In Time Compilation) in the turbo provides a significant increase in speed too, over clocking is just a value add for installing this in my opinion.

Ally stock gets between high 3's to max 4.2 MFLOPS. Overclocked alone we got it to 5.2 MFLOPS. With only jit its 6.9 MFLOPS or so. With jit and overclock we have hit 9.1 MFLOPS. To put that in perspective the droid x on on 2.1 only hits mid 7's with a 1 ghz ARM v7 processor. Thats how much this will turbocharge your Ally.

http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/180796-gnm_turbo-jit-oc-8-mflops.html

amazinz5
11-13-2010, 07:06 PM
what exactly is turbo 4

amazinz5
11-13-2010, 08:24 PM
ok i backed up all my apps with titanium and installed velocity 0.3. how do i get those apps back?