PDA

View Full Version : Rooting the Samsung Intercept

Admin
07-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Anyone here that's going to be working on the Samsung Intercept and getting root so we can ROM it?

mobodojo
07-15-2010, 10:45 PM
By ROMing do you mean enabling the ability to install different ROM images to the handset? I'd like one that isn't unreliable :)

TONYSALEM78
07-17-2010, 09:57 PM
This would be nice but seems like nobody has this phone but me! lol

Intercepted Inception
07-18-2010, 06:27 PM
I will not be personally working on it, as I'm not an expert and this will be my first Android phone. However, I am definitely interested in information on rooting it.

Also, what does "ROMing" it mean?

Blu3Tib04
07-20-2010, 01:23 PM
This would be nice but seems like nobody has this phone but me! lol

{& me!!}:greendroid:

Intercepted Inception
07-22-2010, 02:27 AM
I got my Intercept in the mail 2 days ago. A friend of mine who has a modified Droid gave me a basic idea of what "ROMing" is.

I love this thing overall, but I do have one major issue with it. The home and back keys are VERY unresponsive at times. And interestingly, if I need to go back several times, while browsing for example, then it may take me numerous touches to get it to go back the first time, but it will recognize each successive touch after that until I haven't touched it in several seconds.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I did notice one video review where this was mentioned as a general fault of the phone.
Will rooting and ROMing this phone solve this issue as my friend tells me it will?

Josueh
07-23-2010, 12:16 AM
I too have that problem, and so does my wife. I can't really tell you if roming it will help though as this is my first droid.

Blu3Tib04
07-23-2010, 12:19 AM
I also have the same problems...lol GREAT...were all getting new phones, just like I had to for the Palm Pre...after about 4 I quit :(

A30N
07-24-2010, 03:27 PM
I, too, have the issue with unresponsive home and back buttons. I will take up the cause of rooting the intercept if noone else does, but I will have to read all the tutorials for rooting other Samsung Galaxy handsets and acquire the software necessary to do so.

If you do decide to mess around with the firmware, make sure you have the equipment protection plan, otherwise you'll be out of pocket for a replacement!

TONYSALEM78
07-25-2010, 01:28 AM
Maybe want to get a few tips from
Intercept - Android 2.1/2.2 (http://forum.sdx-developers.com/intercept-android-2-12-2/?PHPSESSID=b1l3qtepuagcsl5mb98shifde5)

I have looked but i have no clue what's going on over there...
If you figure anything out, please post here to help everyone out.

:)

Intercepted Inception
07-26-2010, 03:26 AM
I, too, have the issue with unresponsive home and back buttons. I will take up the cause of rooting the intercept if noone else does, but I will have to read all the tutorials for rooting other Samsung Galaxy handsets and acquire the software necessary to do so.

If you do decide to mess around with the firmware, make sure you have the equipment protection plan, otherwise you'll be out of pocket for a replacement!

Isn't the Galaxy a completely different phone? On Sprint it is called the Epic, and will be released later this summer. I do have the equipment protection plan, but won't be installing or modifying anything that hasn't been tested by experts anyway. In any even, good luck if you do decide to root the Intercept. :)

---------------------------------------------------------

The Home and Back keys seem to be slightly better now, and I'm not sure if it's because installing LauncherPro somehow improved it, or if I'm just starting to getting used to the touching the soft keys in a certain way. It's probably just that I'm more used to it, because they are still difficult to activate occasionally.

Overall I'm satisfied with the phone for the $100 price, but I still might be returning it in favor of the Samsung Epic when it is released. The Epic is basically a much more refined and finished version of the Intercept - larger QWERTY keyboard with a 5th row so space bar isn't jumbled in between "v" and "b," much higher resolution screen and it's Super AMOLED so it has higher contrast, vibrancy, and viewing angle. Video plays much better on it - it looks crisp and clean in all the reviews I've seen, whereas I've noticed some lag and artifacts on the Intercept. Faster stock processor at 1Ghz vs 800Mhz on the Intercept, and probably MUCH faster once they're both rooted and overclocked. 5mp camera instead of 3.2mp on back, and 1.3mp cam on front for self shots and video calls on Skype (my personal purpose for the front cam) or video conferencing. The 3.5mm audio jack is on the top where it should be, instead of foolishly on the side as it is on the Intercept. :4g: in major cities, and can be used as a small, portable Wi-Fi hub for 5 devices. And lastly, of course, the home and back keys seem to respond well and consistently from the videos on YouTube I've watched.

I understand this is a rooting Intercept thread, and I don't mean to derail the topic, nor do I mean to bash the Intercept. As my first android phone, I do actually enjoy it quite a lot, but considering the future...I imagine myself with the Intercept in 6 months down the road already hungry for a newer, better phone. On the other hand, I picture myself with the Epic, and not only completely happy with it 6 months, but also all the way until my next 2 yr upgrade is available.

If I pay $100 for the Intercept (which I feel is a fair price for it by the way), then why not pay just another $100 on top of that (assuming Sprint has the same pricing scheme for it as the Evo - $300 - $100 mail in rebate) for the Epic? Just thought I would share with my thoughts based on my research with my fellow Intercept users. :)

antproofcase
08-19-2010, 08:04 AM
I like the phone, too. I had to disable features (haptic, the 'beep' on every touch, etc.)...and I downloaded the 'home-switcher' app. It has its weirdnesses, but is not a bad phone for what you pay. I found that the fring app disables the mic, but I'm not 100% if that's the app or the phone (possibly an intentional bug??). I would like to root the phone though, if only to get rid of the annoying Sprint apps. There was a post on one of these forums claiming that they don't take any memory, etc., but one app in particular, sprint zone, likes to spontaneously start and chew up ram.

But, a few gripes aside, I really enjoy the phone. I will keep coming back to check on the root process. I have seen apps specifically for a rooted samsung intercept, so I assume this is feasible!

Thanks.

sleepraider
08-27-2010, 08:29 PM
hey all-
I'm having a TON of lag problems. SO much so that if the solution is rooting the intercept, well, sign me up. Seems it might be related to heat, maybe? We're not talking a ton of heat either.. just my current speculation.

brdkiller
08-28-2010, 01:54 AM
if anyone figures out how to root it,post the instructions on here.

sleepraider
08-30-2010, 07:42 PM
thought I'd come back and at least post my fix* for the lag problem
* denotes its a crappy fix.

I was thinking about rooting the thing, but basically I installed LauncherPro and uninstalled all the apps I'd tried out and didnt really need (basically half the apps on my phone; but not stock apps) and its running beautifully now.

droidhead
08-30-2010, 09:14 PM
thought I'd come back and at least post my fix* for the lag problem
* denotes its a crappy fix.

I was thinking about rooting the thing, but basically I installed LauncherPro and uninstalled all the apps I'd tried out and didnt really need (basically half the apps on my phone; but not stock apps) and its running beautifully now.

LauncherPro is awesome, isn't it? :)

mike3020
09-06-2010, 09:52 PM
i have found a root app it is actually for the samsung epic 4g but it works on samsung intercept 2.1 update1 i have used this on my phone works perfectly.
just follow the instructions minus installing driver.

:):):):):):) One click root for the Epic 4G! v2.2.4 Now has Busybox & remount scripts! - xda-developers (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=770388)

antproofcase
09-07-2010, 03:32 AM
i have found a root app it is actually for the samsung epic 4g but it works on samsung intercept 2.1 update1 i have used this on my phone works perfectly.
just follow the instructions minus installing driver.

:):):):):):) One click root for the Epic 4G! v2.2.4 Now has Busybox & remount scripts! - xda-developers (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=770388)

OK...but how do you get usb debugging to work without a driver...?

Also, do you mind posting which of the several root app versions in that thread you used, or giving a detailed list of steps?

Thanks!

antproofcase
09-07-2010, 03:44 AM
It looks like you used 2.2.4 (from the name of the link--I'm a genius!) but many users in that thread had issues with it (I wasn't asking to be a dink). Also, you can't run the .bat file without being in usb debug mode, and once I hit that I get the "found new hardware" xp nonsense.

Thanks again.

netrambo
09-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Can anyone verify this will work before I try it?

mike3020
09-08-2010, 04:04 PM
this is everything you need to root your intercept. i have tried this and have been running my phone rooted for over a week thanks to this.

this also includes usb drivers and instructions
download: RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting (http://rapidshare.com/files/417922941/intercept_root.zip)
download: http://www.filedropper.com/interceptroot

antproofcase
09-09-2010, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the instructions....I tried it at home and had a bunch of errors about unable to 'chmod' on several files...then it rebooted to an unrooted mode...so I don't think it's an initial success for me...I do thank you for the usb driver just the same (couldn't find that at all!)...will try again later.

antproofcase
09-09-2010, 07:30 AM
Here's the output from my failed attempt. Mount as root...denied! going to try it with a different version of the root batch file. Will let you know.

exploit and busybox made by joeykrim and one click installer made by noobnl
Press any key to continue . . .
copy and run the exploit (may take 2 minutes)
37 KB/s (0 bytes in 5392.000s)
0 KB/s (0 bytes in 88.000s)
CVE-2010-EASY Android local root exploit (C) 2010 by 743C

checking NPROC limit ...
[+] RLIMIT_NPROC={1344, 1344}
Searching for adb ...
[+] Found adb as PID 1892
Spawning children. Dont type anything and wait for reset!

If you like what we are doing you can send us PayPal money to
7-4-3-C@web.de so we can compensate time, effort and HW costs.
If you are a company and feel like you profit from our work,
we also accept donations > 1000 USD!

adb connection will be reset. restart adb server on desktop and re-login.
make it RW and move files
mount: Operation not permitted
failed to copy 'joeykrim-root.sh' to '/system/bin/joeykrim-root.sh': Read-only f
ile system
failed to copy 'jk-su' to '/system/bin/jk-su': Read-only file system
failed to copy 'playlogo-orig' to '/system/bin/playlogo-orig': Read-only file sy
stem
failed to copy 'playlogo' to '/system/bin/playlogo': Read-only file system
failed to copy 'busybox' to '/system/bin/busybox': Read-only file system
failed to copy 'resolv.conf' to '/system/bin/resolv.conf': Read-only file system

failed to copy 'remount' to '/system/bin/remount': Read-only file system
set permission
Unable to chmod /system/bin/joeykrim-root.sh: No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /system/bin/playlogo: Read-only file system
Unable to chmod /system/bin/busybox: No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /system/bin/remount: No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /system/bin/playlogo-orig: No such file or directory
push any key to reboot the phone

antproofcase
09-09-2010, 07:46 AM
well, tried the original ".4" script, and no such luck either. If I didn't have a job, I would spend more time a-fiddlin'. But, of course, I wouldn't have this phone if that were the case either. Be interested to see if anyone else gets this working in the meantime.

brdkiller
09-09-2010, 11:57 AM
i got the same results.whenever i go to run it i dont get the option to run root.bat,i just click on windows bach file and then it gaves me the same results saying it failed,anyone figure it out yet? i done bricked one intercept using the moments guide to rooting so would like to know for sure if this works

antproofcase
09-09-2010, 07:13 PM
I really don't think the root works with this script on the intercept. I am grateful I didn't brick my phone!

mike3020
09-09-2010, 07:20 PM
oh sorry guys but i forgot to mention in the instructions do not mount usb. just plug it in and when it says usb debuging connected on the top bar of your phone then click root.bat.

******** Do Not Mount Usb **********

that should take care of the problems you are having

brdkiller
09-09-2010, 07:53 PM
oh sorry guys but i forgot to mention in the instructions do not mount usb. just plug it in and when it says usb debuging connected on the top bar of your phone then click root.bat.

******** Do Not Mount Usb **********

that should take care of the problems you are having

ok im runnin vista 32 bit premium and it doesent give me the option to run root.bat, so i just click on the windows batch file and it runs the test thing but it says it fails.i didnt mount the usb or anything i did exactly like you said,does the file need to be extracted or somethin? i done bricked one intercept so im trying to make sure before i try anything other than a one click root

mike3020
09-09-2010, 09:36 PM
Alright I just rerooted my phone and figured out what went wrong with the batch file. Will upload new files tomorrow.

kury
09-10-2010, 03:10 AM
It appears you the same root used on the Samsung Epic works on the Samsung Intercept. (Found here: joeykrim-SDX - Permanent Root for Epic (and Verizon Fascinate) - Confirmed (http://forum.sdx-developers.com/epic-development/adb-root-exploit-test/))

You can temporary or permanently root the device. Now if only wifi tether would work... :(

Derp
09-10-2010, 04:38 AM
Or you can use the real method to root your Intercept from here:

LittleKernel 2.1 Build 1 for the Intercept (http://forum.sdx-developers.com/intercept-development/littlekernel-2-0-build-7-for-the-intercept/)

Problem is, wifi is not working and there's no way to unroot it yet. But I'm happy enough to have my Live Wallpapers finally. :)

(BTW, I have tested and used this method to successfully root my Intercept perfectly fine... just no WiFi)

mike3020
09-10-2010, 04:02 PM
this is the updated intercept root with updated instruction
Download: Download Intercept one click root.zip from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way (http://www.sendspace.com/file/zql218)

changes: changed the names on the batch files

antproofcase
09-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Download: Download Intercept one click root.zip from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way (http://www.sendspace.com/file/zql218)

No workee

jackson
09-11-2010, 06:01 PM
can some one help me root my intercept?? is any one having problems with the volume shutting off by it self??

jak89
09-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Jackson Not sure what your skill level is with android so i just wanted to cover the basics first.

1. Pull the battery to reset your phone

2. Call Sprint to refresh your phone (they send a signal to your phone to reset it)

3. Factory reset

These are the first steps in order that i always use if i have a issue. Just remember if you do a factory reset first back up your info.

jackson
09-11-2010, 06:21 PM
can some one give me instructions on how to root my intercept or make it better

jackson
09-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Jackson Not sure what your skill level is with android so i just wanted to cover the basics first.

1. Pull the battery to reset your phone

2. Call Sprint to refresh your phone (they send a signal to your phone to reset it)

3. Factory reset

These are the first steps in order that i always use if i have a issue. Just remember if you do a factory reset first back up your info.

thanks for the help much appreciated.
yea ive done that ive called sprint many times toook it to the sprint store they have no clue whats up this is my third intercept because that proble.

jak89
09-11-2010, 06:51 PM
...and you have replaced it hmmm. Unfortunately I don't have that phone so I can't really help you past that. I don't know if your totally against the 10$ fee but the evo has been a great phone. I know the last thing you want to hear is replace it with another phone but unless you e want to keep swaping it may be the best route.

jak89
09-11-2010, 06:53 PM
just remember if you root you void your warranty

brdkiller
09-11-2010, 07:35 PM
if you read this whole thread you will see the 2 posts from 2 different people,one is a one click root for the intercept (i dont think it works) and theres on about using the epic 4g's rooting process.well i tried both and i think the epic 4g process rooted my intercept,it said it failed but the "under the hood" app tells me im rooted. i tried those 2 and the little kernal build and one of them worked because it says im rooted but like i said i think the epic 4g process is the one that worked,now as far as what to do after rooting,i havent found any roms at all for the intercept so im just gonna upgrade to froyo if it comes first

antproofcase
09-11-2010, 08:51 PM
if you read this whole thread you will see the 2 posts from 2 different people,one is a one click root for the intercept (i dont think it works) and theres on about using the epic 4g's rooting process.well i tried both and i think the epic 4g process rooted my intercept,it said it failed but the "under the hood" app tells me im rooted. i tried those 2 and the little kernal build and one of them worked because it says im rooted but like i said i think the epic 4g process is the one that worked,now as far as what to do after rooting,i havent found any roms at all for the intercept so im just gonna upgrade to froyo if it comes first

I think I will wait for one that does not jack my wifi...and that has an unroot.

brdkiller
09-11-2010, 09:42 PM

I think I will wait for one that does not jack my wifi...and that has an unroot.
yeah i cant seem to figure out how to unroot at all but my wifi works perfectly,im gonna try a froyo rom and if it screws up then ill just send it back,sprint already replaced one so ill talk em into it again lol,oh an theres a new phone comin thats supposed to be similar so maybe we can all just get upgrades (wishful thinkin) lol

antproofcase
09-22-2010, 06:49 AM
[/quote]
yeah i cant seem to figure out how to unroot at all but my wifi works perfectly,im gonna try a froyo rom and if it screws up then ill just send it back,sprint already replaced one so ill talk em into it again lol,oh an theres a new phone comin thats supposed to be similar so maybe we can all just get upgrades (wishful thinkin) lol[/QUOTE]

Would like to know how that went for you...and prior to that, how you managed to root the intercept w/o horking the wifi. Everyone I've talked to says wifi no longer works post-root.

Any info is appreciated?

brdkiller
09-24-2010, 04:39 PM
yeah i cant seem to figure out how to unroot at all but my wifi works perfectly,im gonna try a froyo rom and if it screws up then ill just send it back,sprint already replaced one so ill talk em into it again lol,oh an theres a new phone comin thats supposed to be similar so maybe we can all just get upgrades (wishful thinkin) lol[/QUOTE]

Would like to know how that went for you...and prior to that, how you managed to root the intercept w/o horking the wifi. Everyone I've talked to says wifi no longer works post-root.

Any info is appreciated?[/QUOTE]
well im not gonna act like im very smart with this stuff because i just started but im learnin quick,this is my second smart phone but first android so its all new therefor i wont act as if i know everything,but i just tried the 2 one click root methods that are on this post and they kept saying failed but all the test apps i tried said i was rooted,and ive been able to use root manager to delete stock apps and stuff so i guess its fore sure im rooted and i didnt change anything to make the wifi work,it just works lol but once again im new at this and i reckon i just got lucky,over at sdx developers they have a good kernal that includes root and wifi tho,people workin on roms and all kinds of stuff

kury
09-25-2010, 12:16 AM
Everyone I've talked to says wifi no longer works post-root.

Any info is appreciated?

brdkiller, I simply used joeykrim's root (I believe it was originally for the Galaxy S product line) it can be found here: joeykrim-SDX - Permanent Root for Epic (and Verizon Fascinate) - Confirmed (http://forum.sdx-developers.com/epic-development/adb-root-exploit-test/)

I've rooted a couple Sprint USA/CDMA Intercepts at this point and I haven't had any issue with WIFI working after words. WifiTether on the other hand is another issue due to the stock kernel the device ships with.

errandwolfe
09-25-2010, 05:53 AM
Using the inxane .1 kernel developed over at SDX. WiFi works great, have root, and can tether using Barnacle Legacy.

inxane custom kernel [root+wifi] [released!] (http://forum.sdx-developers.com/intercept-development/inxane-kernel-(placeholder)/)

antproofcase
09-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Very cool....rooted it before I saw this but had no idea about the barnacle legacy tether....works like a charm!

sleepraider
10-29-2010, 09:40 AM
Hey All-
My intercept has been pretty (well, really!) laggy as of recently. As an example, I was driving home on wednesday, and my phone started to ring, I tried to pick up, then nothing. Phone was worthless and I had to pull the battery out and restart it. (By the way, it seems to have MORE problems when the battery is low). Anyways, by the time the phone is back up, I've gotten 4 voicemails and basically now dont have enough battery to call anybody back.

Outside of experiences like that, it seems the OS is just uber-laggy sometimes for no apparent reason. When I go into Advanced Task killer, it virtually says every time that I have 26MB free, then when I shut down stuff, it pretty much always says I have 46 free. Its sill pretty slow and unresponsive. Oftentimes it takes 10 seconds to pull up a text message, just as a general example.

Why can a POS nokia do that almost instantly and this awesome linux based OS on this phone acts like its had a stroke?

Ok, done venting. What advantages are there to rooting? Will it improve performance or just what I'm able to do?

rscrobinmx99
11-02-2010, 02:53 PM

So does this install Nandroid once you root it? Please explain what this does exactly. I'm familiar with Rooting but I've never tried to do it on a Samsung. I always have done HTC's but what is the best way to root the Intercept and install Nandroid

xsexyninjax
11-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Hello.... so I'm trying to obtain step by step instructions for rooting my intercept, which it seems that all these threads only give you either what you need to download, or what you can gain from rooting your phone. Can someone who is above and beyond and already been there rooted and is now enjoying phone jot down a step by step instruction list for me (I am not a complete idiot, lol promise) its alot easier for me to go from A - Z then trying to gather the whole alphabet in one shot.... that's sure rock

Mellexx
11-03-2010, 05:33 PM
exploit and busybox made by joeykrim and one click installer made by noobnl
copy and run the exploit (may take 2 minutes)
37 KB/s (0 bytes in 5392.000s)
0 KB/s (0 bytes in 88.000s)
CVE-2010-EASY Android local root exploit (C) 2010 by 743C
checking NPROC limit ...
[+] RLIMIT_NPROC={1344, 1344}
Searching for adb ...
[+] Found adb as PID 1892
Spawning children. Dont type anything and wait for reset!

If you like what we are doing you can send us PayPal money to
7-4-3-C@web.de so we can compensate time, effort and HW costs.
If you are a company and feel like you profit from our work,
we also accept donations > 1000 USD!

adb connection will be reset. restart adb server on desktop and re-login.
make it RW and move files
mount: Operation not permitted
failed to copy 'joeykrim-root.sh' to '/system/bin/joeykrim-root.sh': Read-only f
ile system
failed to copy 'jk-su' to '/system/bin/jk-su': Read-only file system
failed to copy 'playlogo-orig' to '/system/bin/playlogo-orig': Read-only file sy
stem
failed to copy 'playlogo' to '/system/bin/playlogo': Read-only file system
failed to copy 'busybox' to '/system/bin/busybox': Read-only file system
failed to copy 'resolv.conf' to '/system/bin/resolv.conf': Read-only file system

failed to copy 'remount' to '/system/bin/remount': Read-only file system
set permission
Unable to chmod /system/bin/joeykrim-root.sh: No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /system/bin/playlogo: Read-only file system
Unable to chmod /system/bin/busybox: No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /system/bin/remount: No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /system/bin/playlogo-orig: No such file or directory
push any key to reboot the phone

Same exact issue using the one-click on pages 3 and 4. I tried the original by joeykrim but I can't even get the thing to recognize adb as a program anyone actually manage to get this stupid phone rooted that can help?

TONYSALEM78
11-04-2010, 01:22 PM
i have been rooted for a while now.. Just trying new roms lately. You can head over here for all your root instructions in the Intercept section.

SDX-Developers Forum - Index (http://forum.sdx-developers.com/index.php)

Mellexx
11-04-2010, 04:55 PM
lmfao I am an idiot, I didn't even realize my phone was on the lockscreen and that was the whole problem with the errors in the window. One click root worked perfect I'm now in metamorph and getting ready to theme it :) Thanks to the guys over at sdx-developers and my own stupidity :p

also using PDANet drivers posted over at sdx as well and I'm now offically rooted sweet