PDA

View Full Version : General Q+A

droidhead
08-09-2010, 01:15 AM
vf- I used to use the hotspot all the time when in a 4G market and it worked great. I got speeds upwards of 6 mbps. When not in 4G I used EasyTether for usb tethering. Since the froyo update, I can't seem to get either to work. I'm assuming sprint shut off the free wifi tethering finally but I don't know why I can't get usb tethering to work. It could just be an issue with my phone. If you're thinking of paying for it, the hotspot app should work just fine for you but it's expensive. As soon as there is a root available for froyo I'm going to root my phone among many things, install a free wifi tethering app. Anyways, welcome to SprintDroids! :)

Jak did your sprint hotspot app stop working after the update? I used to be able to use it for free in 4g markets but now I can't use it at all. I'm thinking Sprint finally got around to shutting us off. Also, I can't seem to get USB tethering to work either, even with EasyTether. Have you tried that?

jak89
08-09-2010, 01:19 AM
Yea Metalhead i think they got us on the hotspot but i am still using pdanet right now. I did end up going with the paid version for 18$. I haven't tried EasyTether since the update.

droidhead
08-09-2010, 01:21 AM
Hmm... I would think if PDAnet works then EasyTether should work also. Did you get around to updating to .6 yet? Did PDAnet work on .3?

jak89
08-09-2010, 01:25 AM
Yea i'm still on .3. I did download .6 but i haven't applied it yet. I have no issues with .3 and i wanted to wait to hear if anyone has with .6 Thats strange ET and Pdanet are basically the same so it should work in theory.

droidhead
08-09-2010, 01:33 AM
Every time I try to connect, I get a popup on my PC that says connection failed. Maybe my usb cable is defective?... aside from that I have no clue what it could be. It used to work flawlessly.

I'm going to stay on .3 until someone roots froyo. If they root .3 I'm good to go, if they root .6 then I'll run the RUU and update. I've got my heart set on rooting it now so I'm sitting here F5ing over on XDA hoping someone figures it out soon.

jak89
08-09-2010, 01:37 AM
Can you try Pdanet just to check? I hear ya. I have been wanting to root but i had to get my feet wet first. Now that i have had my phone for a few months i feel a little more confident on rooting.

droidhead
08-09-2010, 01:41 AM
I'm the same as you, I was a little nervous about it at first but after manually updating to 2.2 I feel much more confident in doing things like that. I am rooting as soon as one is available. I'm gonna run and grab a different cable from my car and try that real quick and if that doesn't work I will try PDAnet.

jak89
08-09-2010, 01:46 AM
Ok i'll fire up Easyt ether on my phone too for ya just to see if it works for me. Maybe we can narrow it down that way

droidhead
08-09-2010, 02:00 AM
It wasn't the cable and I just tried reinstalling the drivers to no avail. Testing PDAnet now.

Trying to install the PDAnet desktop client and I think it froze.

vflaherty
08-09-2010, 02:13 AM
We have two laptops...according to literature, can "hook up" up to 8 devices....

VF

jak89
08-09-2010, 02:19 AM
VF with the hotspot feature you can run up to 8 devices but you have to pay 30$ a month extra. If you only run one computer at a time you can save the 30$ per month with these two choices thats why i was asking.
If you decide either way they are both easy to do. Let us know which one you want to go with and we can walk you threw it.

vflaherty
08-09-2010, 02:21 AM
LOL!! Still up with Evo at 3:15 am....

I've scanned quickly the replies....need to know, what's

ROOTING??
Tethering?

froyo?

free wifi tethering app -- does this mean there is something out there to connect to the internet w/Evo for free???? I signed up for the $29.00 hotspot thingie because I want to eliminate my ATT U-Verse internet charge of $47.00/month. I'm *really* interested in this ;D
Thanks!! Ok, going to read some more...

vf

jak89
08-09-2010, 02:23 AM
Metalhead i just tried ET and it shows that i am connected but with no internet access so i'm thinking its not your phone.

vflaherty
08-09-2010, 02:27 AM
Thanks --- I didn't understand some of the terms used, and sent a separate reply asking for definitions.....

Love my Evo!!!! ;D

jak89
08-09-2010, 02:28 AM
VF lol thats ok, thats what we're here for.
Tether is using your phone to gain internet access.
froyo is just the latest version of the operating system.
Rooting, well rooting is like jailbreaking your phone. What this does is give you access to change your phone and customize your phone to a greater extent.

droidhead
08-09-2010, 02:29 AM
Rooting is basically hacking your phone. There are many benefits to doing it like performace gains, free wifi tethering, the ability to do complete backups, etc...

Tethering is just a fancy word for connecting your phone to your computer to share internet. There are three main ways to tether- USB, bluetooth and WiFi.

Froyo is the latest version of the Android OS that's on your phone.

If you hack your phone, you can avoid paying the $30 and also if you are ok with having your phone connected via USB the whole time you can use PDANet or EasyTether. They both have free versions but in order to have complete unrestricted access to the internet you need to pay. I think PDAnet is a one time fee of $30 and EasyTether is a one time fee of $10. I've been using EasyTether for a while and it works great.

Jak- I think my issue lies with HTC Sync because PDAnet didn't work either. I'm about to reinstall Sync and try it again.

edit- Problem solved. After reinstalling HTC Sync EasyTether is working again. Thanks Jak :)

vflaherty
08-09-2010, 02:35 AM
VF with the hotspot feature you can run up to 8 devices but you have to pay 30$ a month extra. If you only run one computer at a time you can save the 30$ per month with these two choices thats why i was asking.
If you decide either way they are both easy to do. Let us know which one you want to go with and we can walk you threw it.
Jak --

Oh, I'd love to save the $30.00/month charge, ABSOLUTELY!!!! ;D I didn't know there were choices, being such a newbie. So the two choices are 1) Easy Tether, and 2) {PDA net?? Which is best??

OH, just tried the hotspot thing in 3G (Florida) and it was easy, Evo was already configured, and I just clicked on laptop to connect. SIMPLE!! But, if I can connect 2 laptops to the internet w//o paying the $30.00, I want to know!!
Thanks!
vf

droidhead
08-09-2010, 02:40 AM
VF-

PDANet is actually $18, not 30. Sorry for the misinformation. I personally have not used PDANet but EasyTether has been awesome for me and it's only $10. I have never had any issues (until now but it had nothing to with the app). It's very easy to use and very reliable.

If you need to connect both laptops at the same time then you need some sort of WiFi tethering. Rooting your phone will give you that for free. Do me a favor, go to menu> settings> about phone> software information and tell me what it says under Android version. This will determine if you can root or not. If it says 2.1 then you're good to go.

jak89
08-09-2010, 02:41 AM
VF easytether and pdanet are almost the same. Easytether is 10$ and pdanet is 18$ (both a one time fee). I personally like pdanet. The drawback is you can only tether on device at a time.

jak89
08-09-2010, 02:42 AM
Metalhead did resync work for you?

droidhead
08-09-2010, 02:44 AM
Yeah, reinstalling Sync worked. I'm up and running again :)

Have you tried that meCanto app yet? I've been using it all day, it's amazing.

vflaherty
08-09-2010, 02:44 AM
Rooting is basically hacking your phone. There are many benefits to doing it like performace gains, free wifi tethering, the ability to do complete backups, etc...

Tethering is just a fancy word for connecting your phone to your computer to share internet. There are three main ways to tether- USB, bluetooth and WiFi.

Froyo is the latest version of the Android OS that's on your phone.

If you hack your phone, you can avoid paying the $30 and also if you are ok with having your phone connected via USB the whole time you can use PDANet or EasyTether. They both have free versions but in order to have complete unrestricted access to the internet you need to pay. I think PDAnet is a one time fee of $30 and EasyTether is a one time fee of $10. I've been using EasyTether for a while and it works great.

Jak- I think my issue lies with HTC Sync because PDAnet didn't work either. I'm about to reinstall Sync and try it again.

edit- Problem solved. After reinstalling HTC Sync EasyTether is working again. Thanks Jak :)
Ok, with rooting....I got a 2 year contract from Radio Shack for replacement. If I root/hack my Evo, does that void my coverage? Is this rooting a physical hacking?? or a software thing?

Tethering -- basically just connects your computer to a source that can connect to the internet (got it ;)

Froyo - like Windows 7 on my laptop, the operating system???

I just downloaded 2.2 android....this is the operating system? This was easy to do as well...

If I go with Easy Tether or PDAnet....we could only have one laptop connected to the internet at a time? What about speed? Would it be as fast as hotspot speed?
Thanks ;D
vf

jak89
08-09-2010, 02:50 AM
No i am gonna try it out. I have about 3000 songs in my library and i dont want all of them on my phone. Looks like a sweet alternative.

vflaherty
08-09-2010, 02:50 AM
VF-

PDANet is actually $18, not 30. Sorry for the misinformation. I personally have not used PDANet but EasyTether has been awesome for me and it's only $10. I have never had any issues (until now but it had nothing to with the app). It's very easy to use and very reliable.

If you need to connect both laptops at the same time then you need some sort of WiFi tethering. Rooting your phone will give you that for free. Do me a favor, go to menu> settings> about phone> software information and tell me what it says under Android version. This will determine if you can root or not. If it says 2.1 then you're good to go.
ok, Android version 2.2 - is this not good????
vf

droidhead
08-09-2010, 02:52 AM
Rooting is a software thing and it does void your warranty but the beautiful thing about it is you can always flash back to stock if you need to bring your phone in and there's no way to tell if you were once rooted.

If you're on 2.2 then you're going to have to wait until some brilliant hacker figures out how to root it. It will happen soon enough.

2.2 is the operating system, just like Windows is on your computer. It's nickname is Froyo so whenever you see someone mention Froyo, that's what they're refering to.

And yes, only one at a time with either of those apps, which is why I recommend rooting for the free wifi tethering ability. The speed with usb should be just as fast as it is with your wifi hotspot.

Jak- I have no idea how they can offer it for free. Not only does it stream from your desktop, it also uploads all your songs to THEIR servers (albeit very slowly) so once they are all uploaded you don't have to leave your computer on anymore. I must also add the the sound quality is light years better than what I was expecting.

jak89
08-09-2010, 02:55 AM
froyo 2.2 is the latest and greatest but it just came out so the hackers have to root this version yet

vflaherty
08-09-2010, 03:03 AM
"Rooting is a software thing and it does void your warranty but the beautiful thing about it is you can always flash back to stock if you need to bring your phone in and there's no way to tell if you were once rooted. "

Thanks...that's awesome!! by flash back to stock, you mean bring it back to how it was set up originally, yes?

Can I go back to 2.1 Froyo or is it to late since I already downloaded 2.2 version??

So, if I root, and do wifi tethering, we'll be able to connect both laptops to the internet?

Hope you don't mind my rephrasing your comments, I want to make sure I'm understanding what you are saying.....

Oh, another question....is there a difference between wifi and hotspot???

Thanks again.....it's great to have you all "out there"....I've already learned so much, wait until I'm a few months out!! LOL!

vf

jak89
08-09-2010, 03:07 AM
If you were to root then yes you can run wifi tether and run up to 8.

jak89
08-09-2010, 03:10 AM
LOL i dont know how many questions to answer at once. between me and Metalhead you keep getting 2 answers. At least we are consistent lol and two is better then none right.

jak89
08-09-2010, 03:12 AM
Victoria give it a few months and you'll be the one answering all the questions

droidhead
08-09-2010, 03:13 AM
Yeah, flashing back to stock puts the phone back to a factory state, like when you first got it.

2.1 is called eclair, and 2.2 is called Froyo. They name each build after a different desert. The next one is 3.0 and it's called gingerbread.

The only way to go back to 2.1 is by rooting it. 2.2 is MUCH better than 2.1. It was a huge upgrade for us so for now you want 2.2.

Yes, if you root and install the wifi tether app you will be able to connect both laptops.

WiFi is just basically just wireless internet and tethering is connecting your computer to your phone to share its data connection. WiFi tethering is connecting your computers wirelessly (WiFi) to the phone instead of using a usb cable.

You're very welcome, that's what we're here for :)

vflaherty
08-09-2010, 03:14 AM
to root or not to root, is no longer the question!! ;)

You guys will help me walk through this when someone develops rooting for 2.2 Froyo -- I'm trying to incorporate my new vocabulary ;D

vflaherty
08-09-2010, 03:15 AM
LOL i dont know how many questions to answer at once. between me and Metalhead you keep getting 2 answers. At least we are consistent lol and two is better then none right.

THANK YOU BOTH!! It's called reinforced learning!! LOL!!!

vflaherty
08-09-2010, 03:17 AM
Victoria give it a few months and you'll be the one answering all the questions

Jak -- this had/has me smiling very broadly at the monitor ;D I feel like a new born baby learning to crawl, but I'll be running in a wee bit!

jak89
08-09-2010, 03:20 AM
I have never rooted before but when it is possible for froyo i'm doing it. Rooting is kinda an advanced move and giving yourself a little time to get familiar with the system is not a bad idea

droidhead
08-09-2010, 03:20 AM
As soon as a root is available I am rooting my phone. I'll be more than happy to help you out with it once I am successful with mine.

vflaherty
08-09-2010, 03:25 AM
ok, Metalhead -- I *want* 2.2 Froyo...great upgrade....so, have to wait for someone to figure out "rooting" with 2.2 ---- then, I'll add "wifi tether app" -- is this the same as Easy Tether??? -- to connect both laptops to internet....

RE: this -------> WiFi is just basically just wireless internet and tethering is connecting your computer to your phone to share its data connection. WiFi tethering is connecting your computers wirelessly (WiFi0 to the phone instead of using a usb cable. <------ Personally, I think you should be teaching this stuff in college ;D Dr. Metalhead ;)

so with wifi tethering, both laptops will be able to access the internet WITHOUT wires -- got it!!!!

Thanks again....I appreciate that this is an environment to ask questions....a good place to learn.....

vflaherty
08-09-2010, 03:27 AM
Jak --- ABSOLUTELY!! Afterall, I've only had my Evo 2 days!! ROFLOL!!!

vflaherty
08-09-2010, 03:29 AM
THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! I'm glad you'll be walking down that road and will be familiar with rooting froyo and I think Jak will also be doing this. Now, I just wish someone would figure out how to root 2.2!!!

jak89
08-09-2010, 03:29 AM
Wow we took the new member thread to a whole new level. Maybe Admin or dandroid can move this to general

jak89
08-09-2010, 03:31 AM
Rooting wont take long. The root for 2.1 was out before the phone (thats fast) and we have only had froyo since last friday

vflaherty
08-09-2010, 03:35 AM
Hello again, Jak....

I think this is the perfect place for this to be...I know there will be many other newbies reading this and perhaps they will find it very helpful *and* understandable!! I don't know about "general" or "dandroid"?? but I think this thread is really helpful for new members!!!

I'm so glad I found this community --- so awesome!!! Because of both you and metalhead, my learning is increased 10 fold tonight ;D
vf -- who needs a different name and photo..have to think about that ;)

droidhead
08-09-2010, 03:35 AM
I'm trying to move itright now and my mod control is acting funny. I think I just lost a bunch of posts.

vflaherty
08-09-2010, 03:37 AM
I'm glad to hear rooting won't take long....LOL!! I'm really not impatient....but I can't wait to "do" this, Jak!!

droidhead
08-09-2010, 03:37 AM
OK, we have success!

jak89
08-09-2010, 03:38 AM
Well Victoria glad we could help. If you get a chance skim over some of the other threads like apps and such and hit us up if (when) you run into new problems. We all do lol

jak89
08-09-2010, 03:41 AM
Oh thanks Metalhead i didnt want to get scolded for posting in the wrong thread lol. It is helpful to keep things organized too.

vflaherty
08-09-2010, 03:43 AM
Jak/Metalhead ---

there other parts to this forum???? where else do you all go??? How do I get there?? This is the welcome to the site where you post *just* an intro....do you continue to post here or move on?? I feel at home here -- don't want to move.....

vflaherty
08-09-2010, 03:45 AM
How will I be able to find you and metalhead??

So, apps and such are other parts of the Evo forum???? I've been on Yahoo groups where I get emails from groups I belong to...this is a little different.......

jak89
08-09-2010, 03:47 AM
Yes at the top of the page press forum and it will show you all the topics to choose from. Just a outline so you can find answers to more specific questions.

vflaherty
08-09-2010, 03:48 AM
oh, got it.....there are different sections to this....how do I find the other sections? Jak, I see you are listed as active user...so we're the only 2 people here??

vflaherty
08-09-2010, 03:51 AM
Thank you, Jak!! I didn't know that!! makes sense now....you were right, our discussion did not really belong in Intro thread.

jak89
08-09-2010, 03:52 AM
Me and Metalhead are some of the most frequent visitors on this site and soon as we log in we check new posts and do our best to help.

droidhead
08-09-2010, 03:54 AM
Yeah if you ask a question, odds are at least one of us will be there to answer.

vflaherty
08-09-2010, 03:54 AM
OMG!! there is so much to learn!! LOL!! As you see, I didn't realize there was more to this forum. I'm glad, though, that both Metalhead and you are frequent visitors, so we'll be sure to bump into each other.

Really, thank you.....

vflaherty
08-09-2010, 03:56 AM
;D

You guys are so awesome...glad you are out there!!

jak89
08-09-2010, 04:01 AM
Dont worry you'll catch on quick. The Evo is my first android so i'm only 2 months in now and i feel leaps and bounds ahead of where i came in. Well alas i have to work tomorrow so i must get some sleep so Metalhead, Victoria till next time. Had fun chating with the two of you tonight.

vflaherty
08-09-2010, 04:03 AM
Oh my, it's 5:00 am...need to get to sleep.
....see you guys later on today.
Victoria

droidhead
08-09-2010, 04:04 AM
Yup. It's 4am over here and I'm almost passing out at the keyboard. It's been fun! Goodnight guys.

jak89
08-19-2010, 12:55 AM
Hey any glad you also got something out of it.