PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide between Sprint (and the Epic 4G) and TMobile (and the G2)

burritohomeboy
09-21-2010, 12:26 PM
I realize this is being posted on the Sprint board so I'm sure most would say to go with Sprint and the Epic but I'm currently a TMobile user and am considering going to Sprint when my contract is up and going with an Epic 4G.

I'm in the Boulder/Denver area (which doesn't currently have 4G coverage) and haven't been terribly impressed (nor terribly disappointed) with TMobile's coverage. They haven't rolled out their HSPA network to my area either but I'd pick up a G2 if I were to stay with TMobile.

Does anyone on the forum have any recommendations on the plusses or minuses of the Epic v. the G2 and Sprint v. TMobile in this area? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

droidhead
09-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Personally, I am not a fan of ANY Samsung phone, including the Epic. They have great specs, but to me they look and feel cheap and I also hate, hate, HATE amoled screens. Add to that Samsung's notorious track record for failing to support their products and you have a big ol' pile of dealbreakers for me.

The G2 looks like a really slick phone, and it's made by HTC, who I love, but unfortunately it's already behind the curve with its 800mhz processor.

My honest opinion- come to Sprint, get an Evo. After a week of using it, I PROMISE you won't miss the hardware keyboard.

jak89
09-21-2010, 01:09 PM
MH Cheers to that. Although i am not as hard on the amoled as MetalHead (i kinda like it) it dont work as well for me. Aside from specs the Evo is on a level by its self.

As far as coverage, i have family in Denver so when i'm there i use my Nav. a lot with no issues in Denver, Bolder, RedRock all with great signal.

Not to mention you will probably save a bit of cash with Sprint

jak89
09-21-2010, 01:12 PM
MetalHead every comparison that pops up we sound like Evo salesmen LOL It always seems to work its way into the line up. Just goes to show what a great phone it is

droidhead
09-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Whenever people ask me to see my Evo, I always end up trying to sell them one lol

It's an amazing device and I love everything about it, including talking about it.

jak89
09-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Same reason i hit the New Post button at the top all the time. I love telling people how great it is.

burritohomeboy
09-21-2010, 02:08 PM
So what would you guys say to the points issued by Peter Kellner that's linked to in this forum (http://peterkellner.net/2010/08/31/sprint-samsung-epic-4g-first-impression/) By the end of it, it sounds like he's wishing he still had his EVO. Do you have the same issues with quick battery depletion?

And I completely agree with you, MH. The times that I've stopped by and handled the Epic, it has felt very cheap.

I'm running a jailbroken and unlocked iphone on tmobile right now so not having a physical keyboard isn't too much of an issue for me. But thanks for the info on the EVO -- I think you guys have swayed me. I'm not too stoked about the 800MHz processor in the G2 either but from what I hear, it's just as good performance-wise as the 1GHz Scorpions. But I'm sure we'll get more solid data once the G2 gets closer to its release date.

Have you rooted your EVOs? Is it worth it?

Thanks again!

droidhead
09-21-2010, 03:16 PM
That link you posted 404'd so I can't comment on it.

You'll notice when you first get your Evo that the battery life flat out sucks. After using it for a week or so it will level out but still not be the greatest. You gotta keep in mind that the Evo is a very powerful device and cell phone technology has far surpassed battery technology. That being said, there are many things you can do to increase your battery life, further helped by rooting. With all the tweaks that I have done to my Evo I get well over a day's worth of juice out of it. On top of that, I have 5 batteries so even if my battery does die (which it never does), I can always just pop in a fresh one.

Both Jak and myself are rooted, and I consider it a necessity. It's amazing what you can do with a rooted phone. I have a custom ROM, custom kernel, and a custom theme (try doing that with an iPhone!). I also overclock my processor when playing games, and underclock it when I'm not doing anything that's taxing on the processor, further helping battery life. I am always flashing new ROMs, in fact I am currently beta testing a ROM that will end up being my daily driver once the final build is out.

Jak and I have both become very familiar with everything to do with rooting, and just Android/EVOs in general. If you have any questions, odds are between the two of us and all our great members here, we can get them answered for you.

I really do hope you decide to come over to Sprint and grab one of these great phones, you will be very happy that you did.

burritohomeboy
09-21-2010, 05:12 PM
DONE! Thanks guys for swaying me away from the Epic and to the EVO. Really the only two negatives I've heard about the EVO are the battery life (which you've discussed, MH) and the screen (is it really only 65K colors?).

Are either of you in areas that get 4G? What type of transfer rates are you seeing if so?

Thanks again for the feedback -- if/when I do decide to move to Sprint, I'll definitely be picking up an EVO!

BTW, I corrected the above link's URL.

droidhead
09-21-2010, 05:20 PM
Yeah the screen is only 65k colors (no clue why they skimped out there) but honestly the dithering is done so well that you barely notice any banding at all. It's still better then dealing with amoled and its pen tile matrix that isn't true 480 x 800 resolution. Do a quick google on pen-tile matrix and you'll see what I mean. If you put the Evo side by side with a Galaxy S and look closely at the screens, I'm sure you'll agree that the Evo's is better. It's much sharper.

I get 4G in some locations and when I do my DL speeds are between 5-8 mbps. Not too shabby for a phone.

jak89
09-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Not only that but think 65,000 colors... i dont need more. The Epic almost seems cartoon like to me because the colors are so rich. I get similar 4g signals as MH but that is going to be pretty much the same if you have a Evo or an Epic.

Last thing MetalHead touched on was the support. I dont want to bag on any phone company for their lack of support more than i have already so i'll say this. So far Htc has pushed several updates in the past 3 months to show the dedication level they have with this phone (Evo) Not only that but as far as this forum goes you will get a lot of support for the Evo by the mods :D

Mr Triumph
09-23-2010, 08:07 PM
DONE! Thanks guys for swaying me away from the Epic and to the EVO. Really the only two negatives I've heard about the EVO are the battery life (which you've discussed, MH) and the screen (is it really only 65K colors?).

Are either of you in areas that get 4G? What type of transfer rates are you seeing if so?

Thanks again for the feedback -- if/when I do decide to move to Sprint, I'll definitely be picking up an EVO!

BTW, I corrected the above link's URL.

Another one has seen the light and stepped over to the dark side

jak89
09-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Hey Triumph glad to see your still around

Mr Triumph
09-23-2010, 08:30 PM
Hey Triumph glad to see your still around

Been working alot , but Im still here

burritohomeboy
09-28-2010, 12:11 AM
Just wanted to let you know that you all have corrupted me and I just placed my order for the Evo! :)

Thanks again for the straightening out, guys!

jak89
09-28-2010, 01:34 AM
congrats b.h. Once you get it be sure to visit the site and learn all the ins and outs of your new Evo.

Mr Triumph
09-29-2010, 04:12 PM
Just wanted to let you know that you all have corrupted me and I just placed my order for the Evo! :)

Works every time .
Congrats .

droidhead
09-29-2010, 07:35 PM

Awesome! You made a very wise decision my friend.

yankeesusa
09-29-2010, 09:39 PM
I was going to get the epic and sell my evo but they still need to release alot of updates to fix alot of issues that the epic has. Plus the new update on the evo that uncapped the fps made the evo even better. Plus I love htc sense and am looking forward to the future update to sense. The epic is awesome if you want a psychical keyboard but swype on the evo makes it not that big of a deal.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

Full Body Protection for your smartphone.
Get 1 Free!
http://stealthguards.com/idevaffiliate/idevaffiliate.php?id=417

burritohomeboy
10-01-2010, 08:40 PM
So I got my Evo and am loving it! The mail and text apps are taking some getting used to but no big deal. Now it's the weekend and I'm looking to root this sucker!

I found this link but wanted to run it by you guys and see if you had any other feedback:

Jailbreak: Rooting Instructions for HTC EVO 4G (http://crenk.com/jailbreak-rooting-instructions-for-htc-evo-4g/)

Thanks again, guys! This is a GREAT phone!

droidhead
10-01-2010, 09:01 PM
That method is very old and probably won't work with the software version that came on your Evo. I would recommend using Unrevoked, it is simple to do and safe.

I highly recommend you spend a good amount of time reading up on rooting and what you can do with a rooted phone BEFORE you root it. It is completely different than jailbreaking an iPhone. We have custom ROMs and kernels, we can over/underclock our processors, and a whole bunch of other stuff that can potentially brick your phone.

xda-developers (http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=653) is a good place to start, seeing as though most of the custom stuff for the Evo comes from there.

yankeesusa
10-02-2010, 07:39 AM
So I got my Evo and am loving it! The mail and text apps are taking some getting used to but no big deal. Now it's the weekend and I'm looking to root this sucker!

I found this link but wanted to run it by you guys and see if you had any other feedback:

Jailbreak: Rooting Instructions for HTC EVO 4G (http://crenk.com/jailbreak-rooting-instructions-for-htc-evo-4g/)

Thanks again, guys! This is a GREAT phone!

If I were you I would just use the unrevoked method. It's easy and effective. I was new to android and I used unrevoked and I didn't have one problem. Just follow the few easy steps to get your computer ready and your set to go. Just go to unrevoked.com
Let us know how it goes.

Get 1 Free!

centermedic
11-03-2010, 02:34 AM
Personally I think its comparing apples and oranges. The Epic is a top of the line android phone while the G2 is, IMO, in between mid range and top of the line. If you want a top of the line T-MO phone look at their galaxy s phone or wait for the the new my touch 4g.

rich_c
11-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Galaxy S and Epic are the same phone, so it's really what the carrier offers (can you say F O U R G E E?)

centermedic
11-04-2010, 12:49 AM
Galaxy S and Epic are the same phone, so it's really what the carrier offers (can you say F O U R G E E?)that's why it would be a better comparison :)

yankeesusa
11-04-2010, 07:11 AM
Galaxy S and Epic are the same phone, so it's really what the carrier offers (can you say F O U R G E E?)

They may both be galaxy s but the epic has more features. Keyboard, 4g, front facing camera, and hotspot. Not to mention with sprint you get slightly more coverage. Other than tmobile having 16gb internal memory over sprints 1gb the epic is slightly better in my opinion.

Get 1 Free!

mttj
12-06-2010, 07:48 PM
So you'd go with the Epic? I'm looking at getting a new sprint phone (http://mobile-store.dell.com/sprint-new-customer-offers-329.html) and was leaning toward the Galaxy, but now you're making me think...