PDA

View Full Version : Should I Root? How?

Benefit
05-10-2012, 11:18 PM
Hi, im new and wondering if its worth rooting my lg optimus v (virgin mobile)? If so whats the best way to do so. Is there a way to do it without pc?

Sent from my VM670 using Android.net

cd_fifty_6
05-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Gingerbreak is the best one click root for this phone without a pc

cd_fifty_6
05-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Download: http://www.4shared.com/android/3MWz2g4y/gingerbreak.html.

cd_fifty_6
05-10-2012, 11:27 PM
I rooted my phone with this and it is safe, just download it, install it, open it and follow the directions, when your ready you can click root, it is tottaly safe.

Benefit
05-10-2012, 11:54 PM
Ty. Much appreciated

cd_fifty_6
05-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Your welcome, that's what we're here for ;)

UltraDroid
05-11-2012, 12:06 AM
I'd like to make an observation here, if I may. Rooting an android phone is not something you should do out of boredom or curiosity. It's a serious step, and should only be done if you have a compelling reason to do so and if you've read enough background to understand what it is you're doing to your phone, and the potential risks involved. People do screw up and damage their phones through the rooting process, and you can't just take the position "Oh well, if it breaks, I'll take it back and get another one" because most providers are not going to give you a free replacement for something that YOU screwed-up. Why should they?

You should also never try to root a company issued phone, or if your parents would KILL you if they found out, because things *can* go wrong with an installation. In short, spend some time reading up on rooting your particular phone and think if it's something you really want to do because modding is not for everyone. :)

::Hopping down off my soapbox::

Benefit
05-11-2012, 12:16 AM
Understood. Ty

Benefit
05-11-2012, 12:30 AM
I successfuly rooted, but I cannot find out how to delete unwanted preinstalled apps. Help?

UltraDroid
05-11-2012, 12:43 AM
Proceed with EXTREME caution. Things that are unwanted by you, may be something your phone needs to boot up. Read up, before you delete anything that was pre-installed.

Benefit
05-11-2012, 01:03 AM
I know, there are apps like point, twitter, where, ect.... They are not vital to the phone, just social media and such types of apps. I read I need a task manager. Any recomendations?

cd_fifty_6
05-11-2012, 05:11 PM
yea you can delete those, but some system apps are important for correct function, be very careful, and make sure too backup, better safe than sorry!

cd_fifty_6
06-27-2012, 10:49 PM
root uninstaller should work, and thank you ultradroid, always make backups of the apps you delete, just in case somthing goes wrong, and do not forget to nandroid backup before you do this

furbearingmammal
06-28-2012, 03:26 AM
I know, there are apps like point, twitter, where, ect.... They are not vital to the phone, just social media and such types of apps. I read I need a task manager. Any recomendations?

Not vital? Don't use them. Don't like looking at them? Try a 3rd-party launcher where you might be able to hide them. Have to have them gone? Well, with root access you can use a program like Titanium Backup to "freeze" them and then thaw them out if/when you need them. :)

As for a task manager...

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NONONONONONONONONONO!!!!!!!!!!! You do not need one and having one will often interfere with the proper functioning of your phone, even possibly costing you battery life. Also not needed: Antivirus apps. The phone has a built-in task manager that works just fine and is optimized for the proper functioning of your phone. Antivirus apps are a waste of battery and CPU cycles, especially if you don't randomly install apps (read, pirate apps) from the web. Stick to the Play Store, AppBrain, Amazon, and other trusted sources and you'll never have a problem as long as you read reviews to know what you're putting on the phone. :)

SLAG IT!
06-28-2012, 12:46 PM
+1 what fuzzy said

ssiebor14
09-18-2012, 12:30 AM
I tried doing this to my V and it didn't work can you help anybody?