PDA

View Full Version : Backflip How To: Import contacts from Sim card

davidandkath
03-18-2010, 02:44 PM
HI there, I am brand new to the backflip and this forum so hopefully i am posting this in the right spot!
when i go to view my contacts, i am not seeing anyone's phone numbers. I only see their facebook info. the salesperson at the at&t store that i bought it from sat there and made sure all my contacts from my old phone were stored onto my sim card and then he put that card in my backflip so i thought they would all be on my new phone just fine! but i can't find any of my phone numbers. Can anyone help me with this??
i tried going into Settings-google sync-enable contacts, but contacts already had a green check next to it. i unchecked it and checked it again just in case it needed updating since i just did the google thing last night, but no such luck.

any tips would be greatly appreciated!!
thank you :)
Kathy

batmania15
03-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Kathy
Welcome to the forums. You need to import the contact from you sd card, sound like that was not done. open your contacts (hit the person button outlined in blue on the right bottom of your screen) now click the menu botton (four square button at the bottom left of the phone) go to more then settings, then click on import from sim card. This should help you out.

davidandkath
03-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Thank you so so so much! it is importing them now!!!
ok, so now is there a way to combine all of one contacts info under one name? like for my sister, there are 4 seperate contacts for her plus her facebook contact.
i am sure there is a way to do this, but just wondering if you have a nice easy way?!

thanks again for helping with my problem!!

batmania15
03-18-2010, 03:34 PM
ok, so now is there a way to combine all of one contacts info under one name? like for my sister, there are 4 seperate contacts for her plus her facebook contact.
i am sure there is a way to do this, but just wondering if you have a nice easy way?!

The best way I find to do this is once you create your gmail account via the first time you open up marketplace it will have you do this.

Then go onto your computer and login into gmail. Then go to your contacts. (your phone will automatically sync your contacts into gmail). Now you can edit your contacts here with a lot of options.

Every edit that you make will automatically sync back into your phone. ENJOY!!

davidandkath
03-18-2010, 03:38 PM
thanks again!!
very helpful website you guys have here! i will be back often for help!
ps-is the 2.1 I have been reading about on here somekind of update/upgrade that we will be able to do to our phones??
in case you haven't guessed i am very uneducated when it comes to these smartphones!

batmania15
03-18-2010, 03:43 PM
thanks again!!
very helpful website you guys have here! i will be back often for help!
ps-is the 2.1 I have been reading about on here somekind of update/upgrade that we will be able to do to our phones??
in case you haven't guessed i am very uneducated when it comes to these smartphones!

The 2.1 you have been hearing about is an upcoming Android (which is the OS from google your phone is running) update. It has many more features that will be included as well as some bug fixes.

davidandkath
03-18-2010, 04:10 PM
very nice! can't wait :)
thank you again, you have been super helpful!

tae_254
03-18-2010, 04:11 PM

Another way to do it is to go to the contact. (Your sister) press menu and link contact, it will bring up all contacts in your phone weather they are facebook, twitter, phone numbers, and you just select which ones you want to link or merge.

davidandkath
03-18-2010, 04:25 PM
thanks Tae!

detectiveVIC
03-25-2010, 10:03 AM
The best way I find to do this is once you create your gmail account via the first time you open up marketplace it will have you do this.

Then go onto your computer and login into gmail. Then go to your contacts. (your phone will automatically sync your contacts into gmail). Now you can edit your contacts here with a lot of options.

Every edit that you make will automatically sync back into your phone. ENJOY!!
I go into my gmail and my contacts from my phone are not there. How can I manually pull them over.

Another question: On my phone, when I click on messaging, the icons that come up are my yahoo mail, facebook, and text messaging. Gmail is not there. How do I add it to that screen? My gmail is already linked, because I get notifications....it's just not on that screen.

marvin_attdroids
03-25-2010, 12:39 PM
I go into my gmail and my contacts from my phone are not there. How can I manually pull them over.

Another question: On my phone, when I click on messaging, the icons that come up are my yahoo mail, facebook, and text messaging. Gmail is not there. How do I add it to that screen? My gmail is already linked, because I get notifications....it's just not on that screen.

By default contacts you create on your phone are added to the MotoBlur group/profile.

They are also added the the group you are in when creating them. Tapping the groups heading (just below the notifications bar) when you viewing contacts will show a list of your groups. If you want a contact you enter on your phone to sync with your gmail account select the Google group.

You will now be viewing all of your gmail contacts. Tap the greem plus (+) sign in the top right and add your contact. It will now sync with your gmail account.

Note: Google and MotoBlur show up in the groups list, but are treated differently than groups you create on the phone or in gmail. They are labeled profiles when viewing contact info (as in 'Linked profiles'). They do not show the edit group menu item when the menu key is tapped while viewing them.

I have not figured out a way to link/add an existing contact to the Google profile.

Con5150
04-01-2010, 11:41 AM
So , am I right in thinking from what i have read here that I can take the SIM card from my old Nokia and place that in the Backflip and copy info from the card to the SD card?

marvin_attdroids
04-01-2010, 12:03 PM
So , am I right in thinking from what i have read here that I can take the SIM card from my old Nokia and place that in the Backflip and copy info from the card to the SD card?

You can copy from the SIM card to the phones contact list (Which I think is stored on the phone). This is what I did with my contacts from my Samsung Eternity:

Copy all contacts to SIM card in my old phone
Put SIM card in Backflip
Copy contacts from SIM to contacts list
Remove SIM that was in old phone
Put Backflip SIM back in

If your contacts are stored on the phone in your old phone, you can also put the SIM card from the Backflip in the old phone, copy to the SIM, put the SIM back in the Backflip and copy from the SIM to the phonebook.

You usually only get basic info when copying contacts this way. Custom ringtones, pictures used for ID, and extended info may be lost.

Con5150
04-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Marvin, that's great info and help.

Cheers

ROBO_attdroids
04-08-2010, 07:11 PM
I have tried the suggestions above, but I still can't get my contacts to link up with my gmail acct. I have about 150 contacts on my sim card. they show up on the phone fine they don't show up on my gmail accnt. I made roughly 20 new contacts on the phone, those show up on gmail accnt but not the original 150 contacts. I want to edit the 150 contacts on gmail as it will be a lot quicker. I've tried importing and exporting. No luck.

Thanks in advance!