PDA

View Full Version : So, who's interested in the Dell Streak for AT&T?

Admin
07-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Just wondering if anyone has been waiting fot his big bad boy to finally be released?

Joe Coolcool
07-14-2010, 04:13 PM
Well if there was a wi-fi only version, I would get it. That thing us way too big to be a phone.

dandroid
07-14-2010, 04:37 PM
I think it's almost to small for a tablet, to big for a phone. If they would have made a 7-10in version it would peak my interest more.

INeFFeCTiVE
07-14-2010, 04:43 PM
I would take one in a flash... i have big hands so the back flip is kinda challenging.

WERA689
07-14-2010, 04:54 PM
I have to agree with Dan on this one. Too big for a phone, too small for a tablet. Besides, I don't see any hardware or software advantages over any one of a number of other Android devices.

Joe Coolcool
07-14-2010, 05:39 PM
I would take one in a flash... i have big hands so the back flip is kinda challenging.

I have big hands too. It's just a bit too big for me to say look at my new phone. It has to be a tablet. It could be advertised as a portable tablet but then those are smartphones.

I have to agree with Dan on this one. Too big for a phone, too small for a tablet. Besides, I don't see any hardware or software advantages over any one of a number of other Android devices.

I think the solution here would be to make a new classification for the Streak.

"Introducing the Dell Streak. The world's first phablet. Only on At&t."

Dell should hire me. :)

Lendal
07-14-2010, 06:32 PM
I think it's almost to small for a tablet, to big for a phone. If they would have made a 7-10in version it would peak my interest more.

I disagree. I think the Streak might be just the right size.

Tablets can't fit into a pocket like the Streak can. And Smart Phones don't give you enough of a screen to really make web surfing tolerable. If you only want a phone with little other capability, then the Streak probably isn't for you. And, if you only want a portable PC that you don't want to put in your pocket, then it probably isn't for you, either. But if you want a mini laptop that fits in your pocket and makes phone calls, then this could be your jackpot.

If you think it feels too large for you to use as a phone, you can easily use a bluetooth headset or one of those ear phones with a mic in line. You don't have to hold it up to your ear.

From what few early looks I've had, the Streak has specs that few, if any, smart phones can match. And I really like the 'gorilla glass' screen and the slender profile that it's got. Not to mention the 2nd front facing camera for video calls. And the flash for it's main camera.

I get the impression that it's been better thought out and engineered and generally more capable than most of the smart phones I've seen. And have you seen the size and weight of the two other tablets that are close to it's size? They're much thicker and heavier. Not really something you could comfortably carry in your pocket like you could the Streak.

Joe Coolcool
07-14-2010, 06:44 PM
I disagree. I think the Streak might be just the right size.

Tablets can't fit into a pocket like the Streak can. And Smart Phones don't give you enough of a screen to really make web surfing tolerable. If you only want a phone with little other capability, then the Streak probably isn't for you. And, if you only want a portable PC that you don't want to put in your pocket, then it probably isn't for you, either. But if you want a mini laptop that fits in your pocket and makes phone calls, then this could be your jackpot.

If you think it feels too large for you to use as a phone, you can easily use a bluetooth headset or one of those ear phones with a mic in line. You don't have to hold it up to your ear.

From what few early looks I've had, the Streak has specs that few, if any, smart phones can match. And I really like the 'gorilla glass' screen and the slender profile that it's got. Not to mention the 2nd front facing camera for video calls. And the flash for it's main camera.

I get the impression that it's been better thought out and engineered and generally more capable than most of the smart phones I've seen. And have you seen the size and weight of the two other tablets that are close to it's size? They're much thicker and heavier. Not really something you could comfortably carry in your pocket like you could the Streak.

Maybe there is a market for the Streak.

Emcee
07-14-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm very interested, but I'd want to try one out in person first to test the size and such.

kschumake83
07-14-2010, 08:39 PM
I'm highly interested in the streak I just don't want another Backflip so i'm going to wait until eclair at the very least. If it doesn't get it in a reasonable timeframe I will dissmiss it like another motoblur phone

Lendal
07-15-2010, 11:00 AM
I found this interesting and thought I'd share it here:

History of Android OS

The first mobile phone to be released running the new Android OS was the HTC Dream, which came out in October 2008. Since then the operating system has seen a number of updates, mostly with snack related nicknames:

1.1 (February 2009)
1.5 Cupcake (April 2009)
1.6 Donut (September 2009)
2.0 Éclair (October 2009)
2.1 (January 2010)
2.2 Froyo (May 2010)

With each update the Android OS has become more powerful and as a consequence there have been more and more Android based smartphones released onto the market. HTC was the first company to release an Android mobile phone and they have remained a key supporter of the platform. It was HTC that manufactured the Google branded Nexus One (http://www.brighthub.com/mobile/htc/reviews/68445.aspx) handset but it was outshone by the HTC Desire (http://www.brighthub.com/mobile/htc/reviews/69519.aspx).

The next version of the Android OS is in development, nicknamed Gingerbread, but there is no firm release date yet.

Emcee
07-15-2010, 12:08 PM
I think both 2.0 and 2.1 are known as Eclair. Aren't they very similar?

Also, each dessert is going alphabetically.

Yawnses
07-18-2010, 12:57 AM
I really want one... My Backflip has too little screen and not enough power behind it.. I'll probably end up buying for an off-contract price since i used my upgrade for the Backflip. *sigh*... Is there a set release date yet? I heard the 19th rumor, but nothing else has been announced since then...

Emcee
07-18-2010, 02:05 AM
The more I read, the more I think I'd take the captivate over this.

jmgib
07-18-2010, 10:40 AM
The Captivate is now on sale with ATT.

Danhare4
07-18-2010, 01:38 PM
Is there nobody thats interested in the iPhone??

Emcee
07-18-2010, 01:40 PM

I hear their customer support is top notch. ;)

WERA689
07-18-2010, 01:41 PM

We're here for AT&TDroids....why would we be interested in the iPhone??

Joe Coolcool
07-18-2010, 02:31 PM
Yeah man I'm pretty sure that everyone here doesn't like, want, or have an iPhone. iPods maybe, but not iPhones.

Lendal
07-18-2010, 04:12 PM
The more I read, the more I think I'd take the captivate over this.

Why is that, emcee? :confused:

Joe Coolcool
07-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Well the Captivate is already on 2.1, has a Super AMOLED screen, is already out, and fits in his pocket.

Yawnses
07-19-2010, 12:14 PM
It's teh 19th, where's my damn Streak??

Joe Coolcool
07-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Well it was just a rumor.

Emcee
07-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Why is that, emcee? :confused:

Kinda what Joe Coolcool said. I would LOVE that big of a screen, but I just don't think it's very viable...I mean, it'd be fine in jeans, but what about sweatpants or bball shorts? Plus, there is no portrait mode for the homescreen.

The custom Android would scare me too, but Dell committed to 2.2 and I don't think they would not follow through, seeing as this is their re-entry in the smartphone game.

Lendal
07-20-2010, 07:00 PM
Size is certainly an often discussed issue with the Streak.

I've been doing a lot of reading lately on various android forums and almost everyone mentions the Streak's size when they talk about it. And, I'm getting the impression that more folks consider it's larger size a 'Pro' than consider it a 'Con'. Many Streak owners (remember, it's been released in the UK for over a month now) are saying that after using the Streak for a while, the other phones now seem way too tiny.

And, although some folks here complain that the Streak would be way too big to carry around, there's a lot of actual owners saying that it really is "pocket-able" and that they don't find it too big to carry at all. I think everyone is just going to have to make that decision for themselves. It will be too big for some and just fine for others.

The android version of 1.6 is also an issue often discussed. There's two things that make me personally feel more comfortable about it being released with an older version.

First, there isn't much that the older version holds you back from doing. There's very few apps that won't run on the older version but unless one of those happens to be a make it or break it issue for you personally, it's not really a big deal to wait for a new version of android. Users right now in the UK with the 1.6 version of android aren't suffering due to not having the newest version of android. They are using multi-touch zooming in their web browsing, etc. They haven't got Flash 10.1 capability but that doesn't seem to be such a big deal to most of them.

Second, the Streak is already rooted. Any time now there's going to be custom MODs out there with the newer versions of android. It's very likely that one of the modders will be out with it before Dell even has a chance to get their update done. And Dell has said officially that they will have an update out by the end of the year.

So, given those two considerations, I'm personally not real concerned that it's releasing with version 1.6. Sure, I'd rather have the newest version right away but it isn't going to hurt me to wait and I don't think I'll have to wait all that long, really.

As far as the portrait mode for the home screen, it's true that there is none with the stock release. But there is an app that gives you that capability. It's called AWD Launcher, I believe. You can search it yourself, if you want to, but per some of the Streak users in the UK, they've been using that app successfully and it gives them both portrait and landscape capability for their home screens. So, I'm personally not worried about the lack of a portrait home screen and I think it might be foolish to let that be a deciding factor on whether or not to consider getting the Streak.

There have been some posts praising the clarity and resolution of the Streak's screen over other phones, too. It's LCD technology is not the newer OLED technology, which does seem to have more striking colors. But the Streak's screen has been getting comments that it is clearer and crisper due to it's resolution and it doesn't 'wash out' and become hard to read in an outdoor kind of bright light setting.

So, anyway, personally I'm finding a lot more positive comments about the Streak (especially from those who have actually been using it) than negative ones. I do think you should decide whether you want a 'pocket-able' tablet or a phone primarily. If you just want a phone and aren't going to be doing much web browsing or email writing and such, then I'd consider going with one of the Droid models or maybe the Desire instead of the Streak.

But the Streak has a lot going for it and I think it'd be a mistake to pass it up without taking a good close look at it for yourself. I know I'm going to.

Lendal
07-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Oh, and with all that text I forgot to mention one of the great features that really caught my attention with the Streak.

That's the second front-facing camera. You're going to be needing that if you ever intend to make video calls with your cell phone. The Streak and the Backflip (when it's opened up) are the only two phones that I can think of that have a front facing camera capability.

There may be other phones that can do that too, but I don't know of any.

jmgib
07-20-2010, 08:45 PM
I may be wrong, but I believe the EVO has a front facing camera.

Lendal
07-20-2010, 09:12 PM
I may be wrong, but I believe the EVO has a front facing camera.

Yep, I just checked and, you're right, it does. :)

Emcee
07-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Those are good points, Lendal, and honestly, everything I listed is minor in my eyes. In all likelyhood, that screen alone would make me forget everything else.

It should also be noted it is verrrrrry thin; it's something like 9mm thick.

EDIT: Just read .4" thick. 9 mm is about .35", so that's about right.

INeFFeCTiVE
07-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Do we have a release date on it yet... i cant wait... i would buy it direct from Dell and hope that they dont put the bloatware on it.

Lendal
07-21-2010, 07:08 PM
Do we have a release date on it yet... i cant wait... i would buy it direct from Dell and hope that they dont put the bloatware on it.

The only release date we have at this point is 'late July'. So anytime now.

As for bloatware, nobody knows. There may be two models as Dell is going to sell it off contract directly from Dell and AT&T will also sell it, too. Nothing has been said as to whether they will both have the same UI and bloatware.

Joe Coolcool
07-21-2010, 07:57 PM
And there will be a Wifi only one.