PDA

View Full Version : Avoid Data plan by using Samsung Captivate

lavoisier_attdroids
10-18-2010, 11:07 PM
Hi,

I am planning to get a Samsung Captive for just receiving phone calls, text msging, applications and the video feature that come with phone. May I know by rooting the phone would it allow me to use my current SIM card with no data plan ?

Thanks.

iTylerA
10-19-2010, 01:56 AM
You must plan on buying phone from ebay or some place that won't give you a contract. At&t will require you get a data plan with that phone.

Sent from my Samsung Vibrant. Please excuse my Swype.

jmgib
10-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Note though that ATT may possibly add the data plan automatically once you connect to their network. Not saying it is a guarantee, but it is a possibility. If you have a smartphone, ATT wants you paying for a data plan.

lavoisier_attdroids
10-22-2010, 12:00 AM
Can I use APNDroid to turn off Data Connection ?

jmgib
10-22-2010, 08:38 AM
Yes, you can use an app such as APNDroid to turn off the cellular data. This may also prevent you from using MMS as well, though should not affect normal SMS/text messages.

lavoisier_attdroids
10-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Thanks jmgib.

Rizzo
11-04-2010, 09:20 AM
I can vouch for ATT "noting" what phone you have.

I bought a Samsung Impression for my mother off Ebay. The next day after the simcard switch I logged onto ATT and checked my bill and such, Her phone icon had been changed to the Impression.

I also have the Samsung Eternity,Bought the HTC aria,sent it back and am using my Eternity til I can get a deal on the captivate. My icon went from Eternity to Aria and back to Eternity all by itself.

IMEI SUX :D

I should note that the original sim cards were used in both cases. I never used the one provided with the Aria nor did my mother even get one with her Impression.

timbuk2
02-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Note though that ATT may possibly add the data plan automatically once you connect to their network. Not saying it is a guarantee, but it is a possibility. If you have a smartphone, ATT wants you paying for a data plan.

Doesn't work on my Captivate w/ Froyo 2.2. I check to turn off data and it remains on.

straw55_attdroids
03-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Used to work for AT&T, and the data plan will automatically be added as it (the system) can recognize that it is a smartphone. Sorry

Dorian
03-06-2011, 02:05 AM
If you're using the phone off contract, you can call AT&T and request an implicit data ban on that line under that IMEI... that way the system won't add it back automatically.

peteski72
03-18-2012, 10:40 AM
:confused: haha I had a 2GB data plan w/ AT&T until I realized I don't need nearly that much.I have always had great WiFi connection at home. (no need to have data for web service) I recently lower my data plan to 300 MB. Now I cannot get WiFi connection at home. It immediately connects to 3G racking up data usage. Is this some weird trick they can do?

peteski72
03-18-2012, 10:50 AM
I will try your directions and close my current wifi on my phone and reset it. I really hope this works. AT&T had me do a hard reset and then after that said I was due for an upgrade. They suggested I get a new phone w/ a new 2 year contract. I don't know if I want to because I don't have a clue which phone to pick. There's to many choices.I have a Samsung Captivate. It's OK,but not great. They were so slow coming out with newer updates. I need a phone that is easy easy texting. i.e. key board, big screen. To get into a good phone with an upgrade will still cost $199.00 Ouch! Any ideas?:mad: