PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy S2

Fluffy_attdroids
09-20-2011, 04:44 AM
Yo Dorian,

You plan on releasing for the S2 when it comes out? IF IT COMES OUT!?!?

Dorian
09-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Actually, I have an S2. :) But it's not the AT&T version, it's the world version. I had it imported a while back...

But yes. :)

I'm about to put up a ROM for the Infuse 4G also.

Fluffy_attdroids
09-21-2011, 01:56 AM
Well my wife's phone is Infuse 4g.. So if it is stable BAM! I got that one covered as well :)

vic007
09-21-2011, 07:57 AM
But Dorian, are you giving up on the Captivate ? - Some time back you said you wre going to post a JVR ROM for it, but I'm still waiting ):

dandroid
09-21-2011, 01:51 PM
sweet, do you know what differences we'll see between the world version and the one actually released for AT&T?

Actually, I have an S2. :) But it's not the AT&T version, it's the world version. I had it imported a while back...

But yes. :)

I'm about to put up a ROM for the Infuse 4G also.

Dorian
09-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Well my wife's phone is Infuse 4g.. So if it is stable BAM! I got that one covered as well :)

Nice! Yep, it's pretty stable, IMO. One other thing I noticed is that it carries the i9000's data speed limitations as well. The absolute most I've been able to get out of it is 8Mbps over WiFi. Perfectly stable connection, but not the 25Mbps+ I've been getting on CM7.

But Dorian, are you giving up on the Captivate ? - Some time back you said you wre going to post a JVR ROM for it, but I'm still waiting ):

JVR turned out to not have any real, tangible improvements... so as soon as I can get JVS actually loaded on my Captivate, I'll see about that one. The main thing I want to see fixed (completely fixed) is the browser. Samsung is getting to where their ROM's can't be deodexed correctly without breaking things...

sweet, do you know what differences we'll see between the world version and the one actually released for AT&T?

Not much difference at all, surprisingly. AT&T didn't muck with the design much at all. The only real difference is the AT&T logos, and the 4 capacitive buttons instead of the physical "Home" button with search on the right and menu on the left. Both are 21.1Mbps capable handsets, just like the Infuse 4G. Also, AT&T didn't go with the 4.5" screen option because it would have aped Infuse sales. The two would look identical if they both had the same 4.5" panel.

dandroid
09-22-2011, 11:47 AM
What do you think of the S2 compared to the Atrix?

Dorian
09-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Well, I like the Atrix for what it is... but it's simply not in the same league. Android uses NEON (SIMD instructions) in the UI and various other places and since the Atrix has no NEON processing capabilities it's UI will never be as smooth. NVIDIA purposefully left off NEON to keep costs down. Motorola has, in every phone they've ever built, taken UI response and smoothness secondary to function though...

The GS2 is so smooth it's embarrassing. The Atrix has about the same amount of CPU power, but the GS2 outclasses it in GPU power by a LOT. It outclasses just about every phone out right now. The only thing I wish they would have improved is the battery. The Atrix has a HUGE battery. The GS2 would really benefit from a bigger battery.

UltraDroid
09-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Well, I like the Atrix for what it is... but it's simply not in the same league. Android uses NEON (SIMD instructions) in the UI and various other places and since the Atrix has no NEON processing capabilities it's UI will never be as smooth. NVIDIA purposefully left off NEON to keep costs down. Motorola has, in every phone they've ever built, taken UI response and smoothness secondary to function though...

The GS2 is so smooth it's embarrassing. The Atrix has about the same amount of CPU power, but the GS2 outclasses it in GPU power by a LOT. It outclasses just about every phone out right now. The only thing I wish they would have improved is the battery. The Atrix has a HUGE battery. The GS2 would really benefit from a bigger battery.

Dorian, do you forsee the Galaxy S II getting ICS quickly? Or will we have to wait until 2012?

-Mike

Dorian
09-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Dorian, do you forsee the Galaxy S II getting ICS quickly? Or will we have to wait until 2012?

-Mike

For an ICS release it will be at least January for a leak or otherwise... I'm going to say late Feb-Mar for the international version, which will be translatable to the AT&T version.

UltraDroid
10-01-2011, 02:35 AM
For an ICS release it will be at least January for a leak or otherwise... I'm going to say late Feb-Mar for the international version, which will be translatable to the AT&T version.

Thanks Dude! :)

-Mike

DaUnderSheriff
10-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Picked up my SGSII a couple of days ago. Surprisingly, the device runs very well on the stock ROM, but all the bloatware and the slow data speeds are already getting to me. Can't wait to see some development for this device.

Speaking of which, Dorian - you said you were running CM7 on your SGSII (International version). Is the version they have up for the AT&T device worth the trouble? It sounds like there's some issues with Wi-Fi and low audio volume...

DaUnderSheriff
10-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Sent you a PM Dorian.

Fluffy_attdroids
11-03-2011, 03:02 AM
Yo Dorian, you know when they are going to release the source for this?

Fluffy_attdroids
11-16-2011, 10:40 AM
Yo Dorian, you know when they are going to release the source for this?

Well to answer myself they released yesterday..

ICS is coming to AOSP - Android Building | Google Groups (http://groups.google.com/group/android-building/browse_thread/thread/4f85d9242667a85f?pli=1)

Soooo any who.. /poke Dorian..

*COUGH*

So whats up bro :)