PDA

View Full Version : Nexus 7 Android 4.2 App Failures

andykchapman
12-17-2012, 02:53 PM
I've had my Nexus 7 about 3 weeks now. It was fine when I got it but a number of apps now won't start up or work. e.g.:
YouTube ("There was a problem starting up. Check your network connection and system time").
Currents ("Unknown error during start-up").
Maps (animated circle "Loading").
I also get a message "Network failure" "This application requires a working network connection".
As far as I can tell, there is nothing wrong with my network connection to my Belkin router (no problem with email).
As with PCs, I very early on downloaded an app which would clean out the rubbish accumulated by apps. I've tried two different apps; I think they must clean out more than they should such that the apps cannot find something they need to recover.
Does anyone have any idea how to get my apps going again, please? All the magazines are singing praises of the Nexus 7 but not resolving any problems like this.
Regards
Andy

UltraDroid
12-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Hello Andy, welcome to the forum! :)

cali
12-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Welcome to the site. Hopefully someone can offer some help.

GoCliffGo05
12-17-2012, 04:50 PM
Lots of people are saying 4.2 causes a lot of issues. I'm on it now with no issues. I'd try uninstalling the apps with problems and then reinstalling. Or, go to settings - apps - all and clear data for the trouble apps. Get rid of whatever apps you installed to "clear the rubbish" for a while.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

andykchapman
12-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Lots of people are saying 4.2 causes a lot of issues. I'm on it now with no issues. I'd try uninstalling the apps with problems and then reinstalling. Or, go to settings - apps - all and clear data for the trouble apps. Get rid of whatever apps you installed to "clear the rubbish" for a while.

Thanks for your reply.

The apps with the trouble are built-in ones and so can't be uninstalled. Not to worry, I think I've managed to resolve my own difficulties.

I visited my local PC World in Chippenham, Wiltshire where I'd bought the Nexus. I was not expecting a great deal but was very pleasantly surprised when the assistant connected my Nexus 7 to the shop's wi-fi network. Immediately the failed apps sprang into life.

So this proved that the app messages about network connection problems were valid and that my Nexus was fully functional. However, when I got back home, the problems returned.

Feeling somewhat discouraged, I thought I'd try a different wi-fi router, a D-Link DSL-2640R that could only do 802.11g at best. Lo and behold the apps sprang into life!

So what is the conclusion?

Either my super-duper Belkin 802.11n router does not like my Nexus 7 or I've set it up in an odd way. Whichever or whatever else, I'm nervous about changing anything. Fragile?

Are there really significant wi-fi interface consistencies nowadays? I thought that was a thing of the past.
Regards
Andy :(