PDA

View Full Version : Get your handset replaced because of dust under screen

sanchez
01-14-2010, 01:09 PM
If you have dust under your glass, or anything wrong with the screen, simply call 1-888-216-4736 and press 2 for technical support.

They will ask for the S/N of the unit and a few other questions and you should be good to go.

They will send you the new handset and a return shipping label to send back your original. Remove any SIMs and/or storage cards and you should be good to go.

M_Woody
01-14-2010, 01:13 PM
For other countries:

Hong Kong = +852-3520-1234
Singapore = 1-800-238-7788
United Kingdom = +44-845-890-0079

bmo
01-14-2010, 02:30 PM
@ sanchez, i just noticed your member # :o :FIREdevil:

M_Woody
01-14-2010, 02:37 PM

lol, he should ask Admin to put some text under his name like the mods have under their names :-) something like: "The Devil"

supsandroid
01-14-2010, 02:47 PM
theres maybe a couple of micro particles under my screen. and I can only see them if i really look. should I still get it replaced? out wait till theres more under there

sanchez
01-14-2010, 07:29 PM

lol, he should ask Admin to put some text under his name like the mods have under their names :-) something like: "The Devil"

That's a good idea :angel4:

theres maybe a couple of micro particles under my screen. and I can only see them if i really look. should I still get it replaced? out wait till theres more under there

May as well while they're covering it and it's free.. What do you have to lose?

Roxy
01-19-2010, 07:35 PM
I have a dust under the top left of my screen... but when I called them today, they would only let me have a replacement if I send mine in and wait 1-2 weeks for the replacement phone. I have sold my iphone so I don't have spare phone lying around so... nevermind... =T

That's too long of a wait without a freaking cellphone to use.

sanchez
01-19-2010, 08:13 PM
I have a dust under the top left of my screen... but when I called them today, they would only let me have a replacement if I send mine in and wait 1-2 weeks for the replacement phone. I have sold my iphone so I don't have spare phone lying around so... nevermind... =T

That's too long of a wait without a freaking cellphone to use.

That's odd, for me they issued a 'swap'. They send the handset out, and I return the one with dust etc.

Bob Loblaw
02-17-2010, 06:09 PM
I'm on the phone with the rep right now. They want to put a $530 hold on my card to send me a new phone and an rma for the old one. No big. I'd rather do that than be w/o a phone. I've got a Clarivue screen protector coming and I don't want to put it on top of something that I know I'll be sending back eventually. I'm gonna do it now and HOPE they have the problem fixed.

A1most
02-17-2010, 06:32 PM
I have mine for about a week and there is dust under the screen so I called them a week ago. I still haven't got any email for the relabel from fedex for resend. the tech told me that it'll take 24-28hrs for the return once i get the relabel from fedex and another 24-48hrs for the phone to get back to me...it is long about a week.. so i;m phoneless about week..dam!!!

bhk1004
02-17-2010, 07:30 PM
hmmmz, i have a small scratch on my nexus one that has been bothering me... maybe i should go and search REALLY hard and see if i can find dust under the screen....

Bob Loblaw
02-18-2010, 12:38 AM
hmmmz, i have a small scratch on my nexus one that has been bothering me... maybe i should go and search REALLY hard and see if i can find dust under the screen....

Just get like a leaf blower or something and start making your own little dust storm. Then wip out that bad boy and start waving it around!

mth04
02-18-2010, 07:23 PM

Just get like a leaf blower or something and start making your own little dust storm. Then wip out that bad boy and start waving it around!

That would be fraud and it's something we don't really do around here

Bob Loblaw
02-18-2010, 08:23 PM

That would be fraud and it's something we don't really do around here

I was clearly joking but since you brought it up, why would that be fraud? That might be a good way to simulate what the screen might look like after 1 yr of normal usage. Technically, the phone should be sealed so that NO dust gets in there, regardless of whether you are in a dusty environment or not.

Bob Loblaw
02-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Got my replacement today and it looks new with no dust under screen. However when I press around the edges of the glass I do hear a clicking sound in certain spots like I did on my old one. I can't remember where I read about someone using a hair dryer to re-activate the sealing compound and then pressing the glass down to seal it. Anyone have any info on wether or not this works or is even advisable?

Asterisk
02-22-2010, 11:31 PM
I dunno where you guys get your phones, mine's totally fine. Sometimes I like to just hold it in hand, rubbing and whispering "My... my own..... my precioussss......."

Bob Loblaw
02-23-2010, 01:53 AM
I dunno where you guys get your phones, mine's totally fine. Sometimes I like to just hold it in hand, rubbing and whispering "My... my own..... my precioussss......."

:icon_rolleyes: They let anybody in this place.

Asterisk
02-23-2010, 09:17 PM

:icon_rolleyes:

Bob Loblaw
02-23-2010, 09:48 PM

:icon_rolleyes:

I guess that's the Blogoshpere equivalent of ,"I know you are but what am I?".

yao86
03-01-2010, 02:56 AM
Hummm…
Hi,
I’m Yao from Singapore :)
After reading this thread, it reminds me to check my screen again.
Before I on my Nexus One for the first time, I put a screen protector to protect my lovely 3.7 inch screen.
After I put the screen protector, I switch on my Nexus One and I saw a white fiber dust in it.
So I was thinking, maybe it was under my screen protector when I put it on the dust some how when in between my Nexus One Screen and Screen Protector.
But than yesterday I find out that I’m wrong.
It was under my Nexus One Screen and to confirm that I’m right, I used my finger nail and tap on the screen and the dust start to move around.
I just call up the hTC service center and the costumer service office ask me to bring my Nexus One all the way to the hTC Singapore Service Center to have a Check first before they can decide what they can do for my Nexus One.
Due to my work commitment, it is hard for me to go all the way there but I will sure go all the way to the hTC Service Center one fine day if I’m free from work…

yao86
03-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Hummm…

Update above mention...

I had just send my Lovely Nexus One to the hTC Singapore Service Center for Dust under my Screen Issue.
The Friendly Customer Service Office told me that, I have to leave my Lovely Nexus One with them at least 3 working days and they will send it back to my door step but did not mention my Nexus One will get Fix in local or Google will send me an New Toy...
Whatever... As long as they get the job done with no problem again, it will be fine :)
Cheers... :beer3:

yao86
03-04-2010, 03:45 AM
Hummm…

Update above mention...

I had just send my Lovely Nexus One to the hTC Singapore Service Center for Dust under my Screen Issue.
The Friendly Customer Service Office told me that, I have to leave my Lovely Nexus One with them at least 3 working days and they will send it back to my door step but did not mention my Nexus One will get Fix in local or Google will send me an New Toy...
Whatever... As long as they get the job done with no problem again, it will be fine.
Cheers...

Update above mention...

I have just call up the local (Singapore) service hotline 1800-238-7788 but it sounds like a Taiwanese??? :think:
:silenced:Ops... Sorry off Topic.
I call up and ask the status about my Nexus One, when they will send my Nexus One back.
The Friendly Customer Service Office told me that I still have to wait for 2 more days for repair.
After my Nexus One is repaired, I still have to wait for it to deliver to my door step.
I also ask them, are they going to fix it in the local service centre or Google will send me a New set.
Ans: Fix it in the Local (Singapore) Service Centre.
Well It's ok... It had past 3days and I still have to wait.....
I Really Miss my Nexus One now.....:sad5:

yao86
03-05-2010, 04:14 AM
Hummm…

Update above mention...

I had just send my Lovely Nexus One to the hTC Singapore Service Center for Dust under my Screen Issue.... at least 3 working days and... get the job done with no problem again, it will be fine.
Cheers...

Update above mention...

I have just call up the local (Singapore) service hotline 1800-238-7788... when they will send my Nexus One back... told me that I still have to wait for 2 more days for repair.... still have to wait for it to deliver... Ans: Fix it in the Local (Singapore) Service Centre... I Really Miss my Nexus One now.....:sad5:

Update above mention...

I just make a call to the hTC Service Hotline and check the outcome of my Nexus One and they told me... still not repair yet :cry:
I feel sick :flu1: waiting for my Nexus One for the past 5days and without it on the weekend... :sick1:

yao86
03-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Update above mention…

I RECEIVED MY NEXUS ONE!!!
Received it when I was home from my father.
Just now I mention on above reply on Singapore time 5.14pm (GMT), the hTC customer service office told me that my Nexus One have not start the repairing yet.
But my father told me he got my Nexus One about 2pm (GMT) :confused:
Due to I have no phone, he can’t contact me that my Nexus One had reach Home.

Review beside the time I wait…
hTC & Google had done a Great Job! :clap:
No dust, fibre, finger prints etc in the Screen…
Screen Protector has gone (before it is attach with one)
Just a original plastic rap around the phone when return to us.
But one thing!
This is not my Nexus One before.
This is also not a New Nexus One (Looks like USED)
The IMEI, S/N, P/N numbers & the Looks is totally different from before.
:think: Maybe a return set and fix and than return to someone who sent in for repair or one to one exchange?

Haha… Whatever… as I mention before, as long as the hTC get the job done and no other problem in the future, it’s fine for me.
At last I get back my Nexus One!
:shout1: I’m once again ALIVE!!!

Once again, Thanks a lot hTC & Google. :thank_you2:

Best Regards, Yao (Singapore)

Diego318
03-06-2010, 08:47 PM
has anyone confirmed that htc is actually fixing this dust issue? I don't want a brand new phone shipped just to get dust under the screen again...

Bob Loblaw
03-06-2010, 09:12 PM
has anyone confirmed that htc is actually fixing this dust issue? I don't want a brand new phone shipped just to get dust under the screen again...

I've had my replacement for a few weeks now and so far so good. I carry it in a case in my pocket (no pouch in other words), and it sees plenty of dust, lint etc...

kcs7272
03-07-2010, 11:30 AM

I also got a brand new device for the dust issue as well as my touchscreen was acting up. I tried to nail them down for a real answer about why the dust is getting in and how they plan to fix it but you know these reps. really don't know anything and he pretty much told me that.

antikryst
05-06-2010, 02:25 AM
for those who had dust under the screen... were you guys early adopters? were the ones they sent out as replacements void of this problem from ever happening again?

still about to get my nexus one next week. it was ordered 3 weeks ago (importing it from the US)

RevAaron
05-07-2010, 12:08 PM
for those who had dust under the screen... were you guys early adopters?

Sorry, but you'll probably have the problem too. I ordered my Nexus One on 4/21. The day my 14-day trial period ended two things happened: I sold my iPhone and dust appeared under my screen.

Because I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep it or not, I was very careful with the N1 during my two week trial- I am surprised and dismayed to find dust under the screen already.

Then, as if to taunt me, a new jailbreak came out for the iPhone. At this point, I wish I would've just kept my iPhone... Didn't bother with a case for it and I never had dust under its screen. :/

Good luck!

RevAaron
05-27-2010, 12:01 PM
An update: I got a replacement without problems from HTC. Sucks to have the phone downgraded from a brand-new phone to a refurb, but that's what they do. :/ Two weeks after getting the replacement I've found the first speck of dust under the screen of the new refurb... Maybe the third phone will be OK?

bobbyphoenix
05-27-2010, 10:08 PM
An update: I got a replacement without problems from HTC. Sucks to have the phone downgraded from a brand-new phone to a refurb, but that's what they do. :/ Two weeks after getting the replacement I've found the first speck of dust under the screen of the new refurb... Maybe the third phone will be OK?

Wow what luck huh? Do you live in the desert? JK. How does that even happen? I have my phone now since the end of Feb. Not a spec. I use it everyday. It goes in and out of my pocket with "lint dust" all the time. I tried looking at the edges of where there is a little gap to see if that may be the place, but I can't see how it could happen. Sorry about your bad luck. Do you clean your screen off with something? Usually when it's time to clean mine I just do a breathe of hot air and do a circle on my shirt. I never used cleaners or paper towels or rags.

RevAaron
05-28-2010, 01:44 AM
Heh. Nope, I live in a pretty temperate enviornment. I think it happens because the Nexus One has a poorly designed screen assembly or poorly fitted seals, etc. I've never had a phone or PDA with this problem before, yet it's pretty common on the N1.

Other than getting a refurb replacement, HTC pulls apart the screen assembly, cleans out the dust, and reassembles with better fitting seals. That's the alternative procedure to a phone swap. You probably get better results doing that than with a replacement phone, but it takes 1-2 weeks. Not sure about most folks, but I can't be without a phone for a couple weeks if only because of work.

The first N1 ended up with dust under its screen even though I had been quite meticulous about keeping it clean- after all, I wasn't sure if I wasn't going to keep it or return it before the 14 days were up. I always keep it in the pouch it came with.

When I had a the first, new N1 I cleaned it with a lint free lens cloth. Since I got a refurb I've just been doing the hot breath and t-shirt routine. :P

Kit Fox
08-31-2010, 02:41 PM
I took my phone apart previously and had it opened meaning I lost my warranty, Has anyone else tried getting it replaced with a lapsed warranty?

Kit Fox
09-16-2010, 01:36 PM
No one knows?

wingod_nexusone
10-22-2010, 05:27 AM
Side question, I wonder how to make Goggle / HTC Repair Centre replace my case of my N1 as there is scratch. I have my name printed on the back of my case as well.

yaut7788
10-25-2010, 02:34 PM
I just spoke to HTC staff, and got the ticket number set up for send in to fix the dust problem at bottom left of screen. But after i read all the post that ppl had problem with the repair center such as extra cost for the repair and timely fashion, i dont know if i still want to send in for the screen clean up ?? anyone please help.

hitmanre
03-11-2011, 10:34 PM
do i need warrenty?

Edit hehe it works gettin mine tomorrow