PDA

View Full Version : Sync Music to Nexus One using Windows Media Player

Jason McConnell
02-04-2010, 10:09 PM
For the purpose of moving mp3's to my Nexus One, I'm using Windows 7 and WMP v11. It may or may not work with previous versions, but this works for me; your mileage my vary :D

Connect your Nexus One to the computer with the USB cable
USB Connected will appear in the Notifacation area, click that and then click Mount in the pop up.
Open Windows Media Player, and click the Sync Button in the top right of the window.
Your Nexus One should be listed there with a drive letter.
Start picking and choosing music from your library, and drag the highlighted songs to the sync list on the right. Note: Once you bring one song over, it will automatically start moving files. Control clicking each song you want to add, then drag them all over at once is an alternative.
Once you have your songs selected and in the sync list, click Sync in the top right corner.

This process automatically creates a Music folder at the root level of the SD card. Hopefully some of you find this useful, especially coming from using iTunes :)

isabyr
03-13-2010, 02:01 PM
hi, is it possible to sync wmlayer playlists?

haoshu
03-21-2010, 02:20 AM
okay i did exatly as you said. See it synced the music to my Phone. Both Albums and put them in 1 single folder.

Only problem is that i cant find it on my Phone Dispite the fact i can see it in the music folder when i connect the phone to the computer via usb.

idk what im doing wrong.

haoshu
03-21-2010, 02:35 AM
i think i know what im doing wrong. The files from my CD that i ripped into the computer and then i Synced to my Nexus are in Windows media file not in mp3 format. i think thats the reason it cant read the folder.

SR_Eyes
03-30-2010, 06:27 AM
What about for mac users, will it sync with iTunes? :-)

mguindon10
03-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Check out doubletwist. It's like itunes but way better....

Sync Android, PSP, BlackBerry, Pre: doubleTwist with Amazon MP3 (http://www.doubletwist.com/dt/Home/Index.dt)

vkelman
04-03-2010, 07:11 PM
At least until recent times, doubleTwist worked incorrectly with non-ASII characters. Android itself works perfectly with Unicode, including Unicode in ID3 TAGs. I have a lot of Russian songs and naturally use Cyrillic in song names, albums, artist and other tags, as well as in folder/file names. It works fine on Windows and works fine on any Android phone, if you synchronize media manually. But doubleTwist produced garbage. When I asked about it on doubleTwist forum (http://forums.doubletwist.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=6740) no one even bothered to answer.
Also, I didn't find any flexibility, I didn't find a way to organize mp3 files in folder the way I want it. When I copy files manually, I just mimic Windows folder structure on my Nexus One.
These deficiencies were a stop sign to me. I uninstalled doubleTwist.

Also, I second the question about ability to synchronize playlists. In my experience, I didn't find any way to do it. Android didn't recognize any format of playlist files I moved to a phone manually, neither synchronization with Windows Media Player / MediaMonkey / doubleTwist worked. Then I heard some opinions (from a creator of Meridian Pro Android media player) that Android uses its internal database for storing playlists and do not recognize playlist files. But some people told me it's wrong, and playlist could be synchronized....

Solipsist8
04-03-2010, 07:27 PM
At least until recent times, doubleTwist worked incorrectly with non-ASII characters. Android itself works perfectly with Unicode, including Unicode in mp3 TAGs. I have a lot of Russian songs and naturally use Cyrillic in song names, albums, artist and other tags, as well as in folder/file names. It works fine on Windows and works fine on any Android phone, if you synchronize media manually. But doubleTwist produced garbage. Also, I didn't find any flexibility, I didn't find a way to organize mp3 files in folder the way I want it. When I copy files manually, I just mimic Windows folder structure on my Nexus One.
These deficiencies were a stop sign to me. I uninstalled doubleTwist.

Also, I second the question about ability to synchronize playlists. In my experience, I didn't find any way to do it. Android didn't recognize any format of playlist files I moved to a phone manually, neither synchronization with Windows Media Player / MediaMonkey / doubleTwist worked. Then I heard some opinions (from a creator of Meridian Pro Android media player) that Android uses its internal database for storing playlists and do not recognize playlist files. But some people told me it's wrong, and playlist could be synchronized....

WRT MM, ensure you have the proper driver selected, per this post:
MediaMonkey • View topic - Android support? When? (http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=231873#p231873)

vkelman
04-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Thanks!
I use MM for ID3 tags editing, on which it's quite convenient. Otherwise, I see MM as very complicated. That post which you mentioned demonstrates its perfectly by its mere length :)
When you sync to Android phone using MediaMonkey as described, does it put all the mp3 files into the same Music folder? Having hundreds of mp3 files in tens of subfolders on my Windows machine, I'd like to keep them organized in the same folder structure on a phone.
Really, except the need to sync playlists I don't see any need in using a special software, it always more complicated or less flexible than manual copying of files. But can we manually copy playlists?

Solipsist8
04-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Thanks!
I use MM for ID3 tags editing, on which it's quite convenient. Otherwise, I see MM as very complicated. That post which you mentioned demonstrates its perfectly by its mere length :)
When you sync to Android phone using MediaMonkey as described, does it put all the mp3 files into the same Music folder? Having hundreds of mp3 files in tens of subfolders on my Windows machine, I'd like to keep them organized in the same folder structure on a phone.
Really, except the need to sync playlists I don't see any need in using a special software, it always more complicated or less flexible than manual copying of files. But can we manually copy playlists?

Yes..MM is totally configurable, and there is a slight learning curve..the Help file is for once indispensible: Tools->Sync Device->Options allows you to set the parameters (incl. folders and structure, playlist options, sync manual/auto options,etc.). Once it's set, no more fiddling, unless you want to. :)

SR_Eyes
04-08-2010, 09:50 AM

Sync Android, PSP, BlackBerry, Pre: doubleTwist with Amazon MP3 (http://www.doubletwist.com/dt/Home/Index.dt)

Thank you very much. The doubleTwist works fine and created the playlist in my N1 however the album covers were not ported.

Anyone knows a plug-in that will download album covers into doubleTwist?

mguindon10
04-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Thank you very much. The doubleTwist works fine and created the playlist in my N1 however the album covers were not ported.

This is from doubletwist forums:
"re, the album art issue. If your music files have album artwork embedded, it will show up in doubleTwist and on your device. However, note that the iTunes album artwork download feature does not add the artwork to the files. iTunes keeps the artwork in a separate database.

We're working on our own album artwork download feature which will be released later this Spring."

So hold tight and it should be working soon.

vkelman
04-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Could you please connect your Nexus One to PC, open corresponding folders in Windows Explorer and look inside Nexus One folders. I wonder where doubleTwist placed playlist files and in what format.
Thanks

dudedidtheplan
04-09-2010, 07:08 PM

I picked up an app called MixZing (free media player app) that downloads album artwork. Artwork is also full size and fills up your screen. It only finds and downloads the artwork when on wifi unless you force it. I like it much better than the stock media player.

vinny
06-07-2010, 12:03 PM
I have a 8 gig memory card full of music and videos. Can I just pull that memory card out of my blackberry 9700 and put in my Nexus One? Will I have problems with the Nexus rejecting the memory card? I am a new Nexus owner, the phone should arrive tomorrow and just trying to educate myself a little before it arrives.
Any tips I would appreciate. This will be my first Android phone.
:blackberry: > :greendroid:
Thanks

vkelman
06-07-2010, 01:09 PM
@Vinny,
I don't think Nexus One will reject memory card you're taking from BlackBerry. Android normally indexes music and video regardless of where it is located on the card.
Still, for the safety sake, I would connect that memory card to a PC (using card reader) and make a copy of it, and maybe clean unnecessary stuff out of that card.

vinny
06-07-2010, 08:37 PM
@Vinny,
I don't think Nexus One will reject memory card you're taking from BlackBerry. Android normally indexes music and video regardless of where it is located on the card.
Still, for the safety sake, I would connect that memory card to a PC (using card reader) and make a copy of it, and maybe clean unnecessary stuff out of that card.

Thanks for the imfo. One more day till arrival, received my tracking # and estimated delivery time. Looks like I ordered mine at the right time, according to T-Mobile news the Nexus One has stopped selling devices from the internet store. Heard a rumor that Nexus One might be coming to the T-Mobile collection of phones. A tech advisor told me this during a phone call yesterday from T-Mobile.

Partha_nexusone
06-20-2010, 05:30 PM
Here is what I do.

I connect the N1 using USB. Mount so that Windows can see the drive - use View files and the SD card will be mounted. Now drag and drop albums from your music directory to the Music folder on the SD card. When you unmount and disconnect, all your albums will be available to you.

HTH,
Partha

GMorris
06-29-2010, 08:10 PM
i think i know what im doing wrong. The files from my CD that i ripped into the computer and then i Synced to my Nexus are in Windows media file not in mp3 format. i think thats the reason it cant read the folder.
hi i have been having the same problem..some of my music transfers fine but a lot hasnt. what format should the music be in and is there a simple way of converting all the music to that format?

alphawave7
06-29-2010, 11:52 PM
hi i have been having the same problem..some of my music transfers fine but a lot hasnt. what format should the music be in and is there a simple way of converting all the music to that format?

Howdy GMorris! Nexus prefers mp3 files, so I'd recommend MediaMonkey to convert your existing file type (wma?) to mp3..choose a bitrate at least 192, preferably 256, to retain as much sonic info as possible. MM will convert a whole album of wma's in just a few minutes, and you can also fix tags and add album art from Amazon Music, etc. Almost anything you may want to do, MM has a way to do it. :) Need help, just ask!

Mastermrz
08-09-2010, 11:54 PM
You know, what i did was make a new folder on the SD card naming it "Music" and put all my music in there and it works. I guess because the Nexus One will read ALL the sound files on your device which could get very handy at some points