PDA

View Full Version : Audio Quality

madeinhb
02-09-2010, 07:33 PM
My ipod/iphone is one of the best devices for audio quality in terms of music.
How is the N1?

M_Woody
02-10-2010, 07:47 AM
It is actually quite good, if you are listening with headphones anyway... unfortunately there aren't any equalisers with the built-in media player, i think some 3rd party music players do though...

The speaker quality isn't really that good though.

P.S. Welcome to the forum :-)

ezeddiekun
02-10-2010, 07:50 AM
The sound quality is the same. Speaker quality is poor. The interface is no where comparable to iPod, you can try third party ones. And sadly no EQ. Not a big deal to me though, just as long as I can listen to music.

M_Woody
02-10-2010, 07:52 AM
The sound quality is the same. Speaker quality is poor. The interface is no where comparable to iPod, you can try third party ones. And sadly no EQ. Not a big deal to me though, just as long as I can listen to music.

muahahahahahahahaha I beat you to it :P

Yeah, I agree with you, I hope they put in an EQ in a future update ;)

ezeddiekun
02-10-2010, 08:02 AM

muahahahahahahahaha I beat you to it :P

Yeah, I agree with you, I hope they put in an EQ in a future update ;)

Arggg!! Slow typer!

americanexpat
02-18-2010, 03:06 AM
Sound quality is poor. I have an Iphone 3G and a Nexus One. Bottom line is if I plug in some Bose Earphones into my Nexus One and into my Iphone the sound quality from the Iphone will be much better when listening to music or talking on the phone. Speaker/phone quality on both is pretty pathetic. They definitely could have put in some better speaker/s.

The new Desire from HTC may have a better speaker in there. I noticed they mentioned Dolby sound here.

HTC Desire - Full phone specifications (http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_desire-3077.php)

kasrhp
02-18-2010, 01:52 PM
I disagree with the above post. The sound quality of the Nexus One is very clean. I wouldn't say it has the warmth of a Cowon player (which combined with BBE is the best sounding portable media player in the world, I have the Cowon O2;)), but the sound is even and clean throughout. It sounds identical to my Sansa Clip with the EQ on the Clip turned off (so its flat, due to the N1 not having an equalizer, this must be done to truly compare the players). Thats really saying something because the Sansa Clip is also one of the best sounding player out there, and it plays completely even throughout the entire sound spectrum with no roll off. The N1 also has good separation between instruments, vocals, and the mid frequencies.

From ubergizmo.com Nexus One Review - Nexus One Review (http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2010/01/nexus-one-review.html)Nexus One Review - Nexus One Review (http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2010/01/nexus-one-review.html) : "I also tested the sound quality with a pair of Sony MDR-NC500D headphones and the sound was as good as any recent MP3 player that I tried, including the Zune HD."

Id like to see a little more boom from the bass, and a little more warmth. Overall though, I like the way it sounds.

For test purposes I used Sony MDRNC60, Sennheiser mx75, and an extra pair of V-Moda's.

Regarding the previous post, the iPhone is by no means a good sounding media player. The built in equalizers actually make it sound even worse than normal. Apple has done a terrible job of putting better than average sound quality in their players/phone. And no offense, but never trust anyone's review when they say they use Bose. Check out Head-fi or AnythingButipod.com and see what they say about Bose.

Good article regarding Bose products:
intellexual net m k i v (http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html#intro)

Bob Loblaw
02-18-2010, 10:40 PM
Bose= Buy Other Sound Equipment

americanexpat
02-19-2010, 05:28 AM
I am sure that there are better headphones out there than the BOSE ones but the BOSE ones are not all that bad. These (http://store.apple.com/us/product/TQ117VC/A)are the ones I am using. My wife has a Nokia N98 8GB and if you were to put both phones side by side and either use speakerphone for a phone conversation or use the speakerphone to listen to music the Nokia N95 8GB will win hands down in terms of sound quality/volume from the speakers on the N95 compared to the speaker on the Nexus One. You get two nice sounding speakers on the Nokia where you get one crackling speaker on the Nexus One.

The Nexus one is not all that bad if you are not so picky or observant.

kasrhp
02-19-2010, 08:14 AM
I agree with you on the speakerphone concept. The Nokia with the 2 speakers will definitely sound better. But I believe the original question was regarding music quality. The N1 produces quality sound on many ranges of headphones. I feel it is definitely good enough to be your standalone portable player (which combined with the video quality and AMOLED, not to shabby for a phone).

I didnt mean to get on you too much for your Bose headphones. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I am glad you like yours. At least you arent using the stock buds;) I just feel they have mediocre sound especially for the price. The link I added earlier explains it pretty well.

Alphawave, havent tried AAC with the N1. I usually listen to MP3 at 256k or higher or FLAC. I hope they fix the AAC though, its a good audio format.

Bob Loblaw
02-19-2010, 01:15 PM
My wife has a Nokia N98 8GB and if you were to put both phones side by side and either use speakerphone for a phone conversation or use the speakerphone to listen to music the Nokia N95 8GB will win hands down in terms of sound quality/volume from the speakers.

I'm sorry but kasrhp and alphawave7 give very detailed and knowledgeable reviews of the sound quality of the nexus one. To me they sound VERY picky and observant.

True the speaker phone sucks, but I don't think that's what the point of the OP's question was. I mean who listens to music on the speaker phone anyway?

leedaddy29
02-24-2010, 02:10 AM
What would you suggest as a good matched pair of headphones for the nexus?

americanexpat
02-24-2010, 02:42 AM
I am sure that there are better headphones out there than the BOSE ones but the BOSE ones are not all that bad. These (http://store.apple.com/us/product/TQ117VC/A)are the ones I am using. My wife has a Nokia N98 8GB and if you were to put both phones side by side and either use speakerphone for a phone conversation or use the speakerphone to listen to music the Nokia N95 8GB will win hands down in terms of sound quality/volume from the speakers on the N95 compared to the speaker on the Nexus One. You get two nice sounding speakers on the Nokia where you get one crackling speaker on the Nexus One.

Once again, the amplifier on your iPhone/iPod etc. is a better match (more current) to drive the higher impedance Bose IEC's (they're 32 ohm). The Nexus amplifier runs on less current, and Ohms Law dictates there's an inverse relationship between current and resistance, so your higher impedance IEC Bose sound quieter on the Nexus, it has nothing at all to do with the Nexus being of 'poor quality'..you simply have a mismatched set of IEC's for the amp in the Nexus. A separate headphone amp would easily supply sufficient current to drive your Nexus-driven Bose IEC's just as loud as your iPod/iPhone, or you could simply get a set of IEC's at 16 through 27 ohms, and be just as loud (if not louder) than your Bose/iPhone pairing.

Thanks I wouldn't have known this had you not mentioned it. I will look into those. :beer3:

Bob Loblaw
02-24-2010, 02:48 AM
What would you suggest as a good matched pair of headphones for the nexus?

I'm no audiophile but I got a pair of NuForce NE-7M's on a recommendation in another thread. They are inexpensive ($50) but sound really good for the price. They have a mic and a button for answering calls and controlling audio tracks. No volume control though. I'm sure there are much better options out there depending on how much you want to spend and whether or not you are looking for something with a mic. For the price though, I think these would be hard to beat.

americanexpat
02-24-2010, 04:19 AM

Once again, the amplifier on your iPhone/iPod etc. is a better match (more current) to drive the higher impedance Bose IEC's (they're 32 ohm). The Nexus amplifier runs on less current, and Ohms Law dictates there's an inverse relationship between current and resistance, so your higher impedance IEC Bose sound quieter on the Nexus, it has nothing at all to do with the Nexus being of 'poor quality'..you simply have a mismatched set of IEC's for the amp in the Nexus. A separate headphone amp would easily supply sufficient current to drive your Nexus-driven Bose IEC's just as loud as your iPod/iPhone, or you could simply get a set of IEC's at 16 through 27 ohms, and be just as loud (if not louder) than your Bose/iPhone pairing.

Something like this?

Shure - SE310 Sound Isolating Earphones (http://store.shure.com/store/shure/en_US/pd/productID.105432500#t)

americanexpat
02-25-2010, 08:57 AM

Something like this?

Shure - SE310 Sound Isolating Earphones (http://store.shure.com/store/shure/en_US/pd/productID.105432500#t)

Sure (yuk,yuk) those will work. Still, before spending that much give these a try:
Image S4 Headphones - In Ear Headphones, Stereo Headphones, Earphones, Earbuds - Free Shipping - 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee - Specifications (http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/image-s4-specifications/)
I bet these will surprise you...be sure to burn them in for 48+ hours on a 'hits' channel at normal listening volume, before judging their characteristics. :)

I was looking at some of the reviews on Amazon and they did not look too good from some people on there.

kasrhp
02-25-2010, 11:49 AM
You can also go with a headphone amplifier for $20. The Fiio E5 is a very good quality amplifier that boosts volume, and adds to the sound. I havent tried it myself, but have seen many positive reviews on it. I havent heard a negative about it yet. I have the E3, which is a little smaller, but all that does is boost the volume.

http://www.fiio.com.cn/en/showproduct.asp?id=309

Just another option for anyone if they would like.

Alphawave, do you know the full specs for audio on the Nexus? I havent been able to find them online at all. Care to share;)

kasrhp
03-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Saw this on gsmarena.com
http://pic.gsmarena.com/vv/reviewsimg/google-nexus-one/gsmarena_a001.png

This will help give everyone an idea of how the Nexus responds.

kasrhp
03-08-2010, 02:59 PM
I was looking at some of the reviews on Amazon and they did not look too good from some people on there.[/QUOTE]

The Klipsch or the Shure's?

Bob Loblaw
03-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Saw this on gsmarena.com

Not everyone :) What does it mean?

WERA689
03-08-2010, 04:17 PM
It means that the N1 is pretty "flat" in frequency response, with some 'ripple' at the highest frequencies. It also indicates pretty poor bass response.

kasrhp
03-10-2010, 07:49 AM
Bob,

He is right. Some players are different depending on the mfr. When the line is flatter, it means its a neutral frequency response. The flatter, usually the better. But, some mfrs like Cowon have a bit of a wave going in their players because they feel it provides the end users with better sound quality to their liking.
There are a lot of factors that go into sound quality. Even though a player is flat, it does not mean it sounds the best. But, in the case of the Nexus, this seems very accurate to my ears also. The bass does indeed lighten up on the low end to my ears. I wouldnt call it lacking in bass, but it is something to consider depending on the headphones you are using. For instance, with some cheapo v moda bass frequency buds, the bass is still booming.
Overall though, this indicates a pretty solid player.

woode29
03-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Want good sound from your n1? Get rid of the ear buds, ear buds just don't have the capacity to reproduce sound like full fledge headphones. I use Motorola's s805's:heart: Bluetooth headphones with my Nexus and they completely ROCK! Great highs, mid and lows for a wireless headset. You will immediately tell the difference when you use full size headphones.

peabody624
03-12-2010, 12:42 PM
if you want to have good speaker quality from your nexus just buy one of these. whenever i know im going to be playing music from my phone somewhere, i just throw this thing in my pocket/backpack and plug it in

Amazon.com: X-Mini II Capsule Speaker: Electronics

Mercutio
03-23-2010, 01:07 AM
Saw this on gsmarena.com

Unfortunately, it won't even remotely give anyone an idea of what it sounds like. The human ear simply doesn't work that way. It's been discussed many times at Head-Fi, but we as a collection of cultures simply don't like "flat" sound. Heck, check out frequency responses on Grado headphones and then find out what people think of them.

Generally, a frequency graph as a representation of audio is the same as a sign that says "192 fish" in text as a representation of a coral reef.

americanexpat
03-26-2010, 07:35 AM
if you want to have good speaker quality from your nexus just buy one of these. whenever i know im going to be playing music from my phone somewhere, i just throw this thing in my pocket/backpack and plug it in

Amazon.com: X-Mini II Capsule Speaker: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/XMI-X-Mini-II-Capsule-Speaker/dp/B001UEBN42)

Pretty good idea:)

dudedidtheplan
04-07-2010, 05:12 PM
kasrhp,

You haven't listened to the Zen X-FI, it is head and shoulders better than any other mp3 player out ther. Plus it come with their $50 earbuds that are identical to a pair of $80 Sennheiser earbuds. I have a pair of Senn. Headphones and a jack for my car stereo. The difference between the N1 and the Zen X-FI is astonishing.

That said the N1 is still a pretty nice sounding phone when not using the speaker. I think it sounds at least as good as my gf's i-touch.

mihaelb
04-19-2010, 04:33 PM
Agree and disagree with the above:
Music quality is good on the Nexus One, PROVIDED you adjust the equalizer a bit. That being said, equalizers are not widely-available in all music players for Android yet.

I have been playing with Astro Player, which does have equalizer (don't forget to check 'use equalizer' at the top before using the sliders). app is free with ads, $3 without them.

I have a $40 SkullCandy headset, and am not missing any low, mid or highs...going to invest in a $100-250 headset(either Audio Technica ATH-SQ5 or a pair of Grados, even though they're open, or Phiaton WS 400)
soon, so we'll see if anything is missing then.